Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been discussing with a local gear shop about replacing my open differential with the Detroit trutrack.

It is a 2015 with less than 5,000 miles on it.

Would it be okay to re-use the existing carrier bearings and just re-shim the carrier?

·
Registered
647 Posts
I've been discussing with a local gear shop about replacing my open differential with the Detroit trutrack. It is a 2015 with less than 5,000 miles on it. Would it be okay to re-use the existing carrier bearings and just re-shim the carrier?
I think u should just get 2 new bearings and races to go with your new TruTrac. The bearings are not expensive and would actually be less labor since they wouldn't have to carefully remove the originals. And then you would know that you're ok. Companies like Yukon offer different install kits so u don't have to pay the price of a full master install kit with a bunch of stuff u don't need... The shop could damage the bearing and not realize it, 6 months later u start having issues and could be stuck fixing the problem yourself if the shop wants to say well u should've used new bearings, sorry.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Yes you will need new bearings. Trying to press bearings off the old carrier can easily damage them. Keep them together as a unit along with the factory installed shims in case you need to reinstall them at a later date. You will need new shims for the new truetrac and you may even need to re-shim the pinion in which case new bearings and a master install kit would be needed. The shims for the pinion are on the pinion shift and the inner bearing is pressed on after. So to ad or remove shims requires pressing the inner pinion bearing off.

·
Sponsoring Vendor
330 Posts
Like the above said, get new bearings. (install kit also comes with shims) Even though they are low mileage. The new carrier will require resetting the back lash no matter if the stock bearing are re used, or with new bearings.

Also, I would recommend saving your money with the limited slip, and go for a locker. Limited slips need wheel spin that is faster than crawling speed for them to work. Also, your Jeep has a pretty well working traction control system from the factory.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks everyone. Seems like common sense would prevail. They were trying to save me some coin, but I'd rather pay a little more and do it right, and they of course will gladly take my money.

I am going to pass on this project till I ride on some snow/ice with what I have stock, and will definitely consider the locker option. They suggested the same thing about the lockers. Again, thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts