Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what everyone is doing to their jeeps to get as much stuff as they can inside of their 2 door jeep? I was looking at a gobi rack for it but due to the terrible Canadian Dollar I am having a hard time stomaching the cost.

Thanks,

Troy

·
Registered
524 Posts
Well for starters, removing the backseat makes a bigger difference than you might think (unless, of course, you plan on transporting people). I have seen some pretty nifty DIY projects people have made with racks under the top that span the roll cage, so if you're interested you might give that a search as well. For aftermarket stuff, unfortunately you're probably going to be battling cost, especially if you're in British Columbia.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds good, last time I went camping I was unable to take the seat out. I was considering a hitch basket or an over the tire basket. I am unsure how much weight can be supported by the tailgate.

·
Registered
373 Posts
That's easy....trade it in for a JKU. j/K

I'm sure that there's plenty of racks out there...hope you find a quality one within your budge.t

·
Registered
524 Posts
Sounds good, last time I went camping I was unable to take the seat out. I was considering a hitch basket or an over the tire basket. I am unsure how much weight can be supported by the tailgate.
Yeah, that's an option too. If you're just running the stock tailgate, you're not going to be able to throw on much other than the stock setup, but if you have a rear tire carrier or aftermarket tailgate hinges (like the Teraflex hinges, for example) you'll be able to bring along quite a bit more. Hitch baskets can carry a decent amount as well, just make sure it's connected well to the hitch! And speaking of baskets...I have also seen people with baskets on the front as well if you have the ability to set that up (not my favorite idea personally, but it is an option).

:thumb:

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
In my TJ, I have an AllJProducts interior rack and outside, I have a Garvin Wilderness rack w/bumper system. These products are all available for the JK.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
:thumb: for hitch and cargo carrier. I am able to fit a bunch of camping stuff in it. Even got a waterproof bag to secure everything good. Been worth the $ just after 1 summer.

jeep2.jpg

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome! thanks guys. I really like that basket. I was looking at the exact same one. The waterproof bag is a plus.

·
Registered
334 Posts
There is also the Bestop Rough rider bag.
Robot Check

As said before, if you intend to increase the weight on the tailgate, you'll want to look at getting the Teraflex or Rugged ridge tailgate hinge. The Teraflex hinge has provisions for accessories like a HiLift jack or a fuel can.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
I mounted these to my rear bars. I have blankets, extra clothes, towels, hats and gloves in them. Doesn't intrude into the usable cargo area at all. I cannot even see them through my rearview mirror. The picture shows them mounted in a two door model just to give you an idea.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
The hitchrack is great for camping. It isn't perfect because you can't open the tailgate...but we've learned to pack everything in certain bins. Camping stuff goes in the bins. Everything else in the Jeep. Un-hitch the rack and our tent, pop-up, tarps etc are all in that. (This link isn't the one- but ProSeries makes one with an extended bar for 35" spares. Clears perfectly).
http://www.amazon.com/Pro-63153-Ram...4004740&sr=1-1&keywords=PRO+SERIES+HITCH+RACK
Several people have these...
SYNERGY MANUFACTURINGÂ*::Â*Body & ExteriorÂ*::Â*Synergy Jeep Wrangler Baja Basket

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
I mounted these to my rear bars. I have blankets, extra clothes, towels, hats and gloves in them. Doesn't intrude into the usable cargo area at all. I cannot even see them through my rearview mirror. The picture shows them mounted in a two door model just to give you an idea.
What brand are those? I can't blow up the pic. Does the soft top go over those?
I should also mention- Trek Armor seat covers have spots for Moelle bags on the back. That's handy- but the slots themselves are too. I have my crow bar, mallet (for disconnecting), my hose nozzle etc. and a bunch of other stuff just slid thru the slots. Makes it incredibly easy to find- all the tools I need to hit the trail are hanging on the back of my seat. These aren't my "good" tools- if someone steals them its no big deal. (My hose is in a bag).
Also consider those back-of the seat storage things that just clip over the seat. I got mine (embroidered w/Jeepherz) for $20 from some baby/kids-store site. Sucks because now I get toddler crap junk mail (which my husband finds very amusing- I am not a kid person) but it was much cheaper than anything from a 4X store. And where you'd put baby wipes I have shop wipes. :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
What brand are those? I can't blow up the pic. Does the soft top go over those?
I should also mention- Trek Armor seat covers have spots for Moelle bags on the back. That's handy- but the slots themselves are too. I have my crow bar, mallet (for disconnecting), my hose nozzle etc. and a bunch of other stuff just slid thru the slots. Makes it incredibly easy to find- all the tools I need to hit the trail are hanging on the back of my seat. These aren't my "good" tools- if someone steals them its no big deal. (My hose is in a bag).
Also consider those back-of the seat storage things that just clip over the seat. I got mine (embroidered w/Jeepherz) for $20 from some baby/kids-store site. Sucks because now I get toddler crap junk mail (which my husband finds very amusing- I am not a kid person) but it was much cheaper than anything from a 4X store. And where you'd put baby wipes I have shop wipes. :)
Rightline.

Robot Check

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Thanks- I wasn't sure what that Robot Check link was. Paranoid.
Ordering a set- these should also prevent my dogs from stocking their heads out the corners. They keep popping the soft top off- usually while I am on the freeway.
Win win.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Oh Boy, here we go, I agree with Lunchbox! Trade it in for a JKU! Makes sense to me, buy a JK, tear out the back seat, add a trailer, carrier, ect?? Didn't/ never make sense to me, if you need the room, do it right the first time and get a four door JKU instead of figuring out what to do after the fact...Why buy the JK when you really plan on needing some room, pets, kids, storage, hauling.... But after 3 Jeeps, my current was my new purchase at the time, 2012 JKU worked out great!...Now, I'm really tossing it around to order a new Willy's in the two door because I 'm over the 7 Grand-kid hauling, don't really need the extra room anymore. Anyone that needs some room for whatever, JKU is the way to go!

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
I have the Rightline bags as suggested before, and a hitch carrier from Harbor freight along with some waterproof boxes. I can fit all my stuff in the Jeep carefully, which includes a blowup boat, 10x10 canopy, tent, trolling motor, battery, large cooler, all my camping gear, and 3 dogs and a wife. It's all about how well you can pack. It helps when I go camping without the top though. Stuff can stick out the back and sides a little.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Oh Boy, here we go, I agree with Lunchbox! Trade it in for a JKU! Makes sense to me, buy a JK, tear out the back seat, add a trailer, carrier, ect?? Didn't/ never make sense to me, if you need the room, do it right the first time and get a four door JKU instead of figuring out what to do after the fact...Why buy the JK when you really plan on needing some room, pets, kids, storage, hauling.... But after 3 Jeeps, my current was my new purchase at the time, 2012 JKU worked out great!...Now, I'm really tossing it around to order a new Willy's in the two door because I 'm over the 7 Grand-kid hauling, don't really need the extra room anymore. Anyone that needs some room for whatever, JKU is the way to go!
It's all a matter of personal preference vs practicality. Personally I think that a Jeep really only looks like and drives like a Jeep if it has 2drs (or no doors of course) and some of us are willing to sacrifice space for that reason alone. That is what I prefer. Now I don't have the full time need for storage space or a backseat for that matter (although my back seat is still in because I do have an occasional passenger back there from time to time). If I really needed the extra room than it becomes a matter of practicality. OP - keep the 2dr and work around the space issues if you prefer a 2dr Jeep. If it doesn't matter either way than consider trading it in for a 4dr.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts