Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I'm Brian, new to site and new to wranglers also. I'd like to know what you thought of this tj I found on Craigslist.1997 Jeep Wrangler // strait 6 // auto. I test drived it yesterday and really liked it comapred to other yj's I've driven before. It's clean inside and pretty clean out side other then bubbling rockers. If like to know what you guys thought if it?... Any tips or info would be awesome

·
Registered
464 Posts
Not bad, low miles considering the age. One concern is the rust along the back bumper, maybe on gas tank. It may only be surface rust like they say, if it is, you will need to fix it before it gets worse. I would do a thorough inspection of the frame and undercarriage, especially if you live in a wet area that get snow in the winter. You don't want to deal with a rusted out frame. If you have a mechanic you trust, I would take it in for a once over on the engine, that way you don't get any surprises. Good luck, not bad starter Jeep if all checks out. She looks like a great platform to start with. Good luck.

·
Administrator
12,635 Posts
As stated, check for rust on the frame.. as it take something to hit/push the frame with.. pull the carpet back side etc.. also with 190k miles, the trans would be my first concern. they start to have issues over 150k in the autos.. Thus check the fluid color. .It should also pull forward on a flat surface in D with no help from the gas. .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What part of he frame should I pay attention too.? I know on yj's it's the back shackle connects and front too. I checked the trans fluid when I test drove it was nice red color and was full on fluids. The higher mileage was the only thin that had me nervous

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
check the entire frame..if its bad it will jump out at you,you won't have to look hard...that is not unusually high mileage,these are good engines

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ive got the same year, auto and engine. I bought mine last summer with only 48,000 miles for 9500. I really like having low miles but I add miles every day. If you are worried about high miles look at the rig and figure if the difference in cost for lower miles is more than any needed repairs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I checked the frame on the test drive, it looked clean and no cracks or welds. It dosent have the nice painted frame because its been driven but it didn't look like some frames I've seen on yj's that I know we're bad. I've had a jeep before but was a wj with 160k before I sold it. The tj's motor seemed like it was still fresh. Was quick and quiet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts