Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think is the best looking 35" tire on a JK or JKU? Even if you don't have it on yours. I am having trouble deciding what to go with. I will be using black wheels.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Well I know I'm gonna get bashed for this but I love my thornbirds. Perfect all around tire and they wear good on the street because they have a really flat portion that contacts the road

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hard to see but its the best I have on my phone

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My brother in law had thornbirds on his truck, they were awesome in mud and looked cool. I have always liked BFG's.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yea they are awesome I just air them down to about 5 psi and they are unstoppable and are still road drivable at the pressure

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Swampers get alot of flame here on WF. They ware less then average but there traction is dependable. As far as thorny's, there ridiculous looking and if satan drove a jeep, thats what he would have. They perform well, but the price and difficult balancing make them a pain compares to less aggressive looking sidewall equiped brands such as maxis, bfg, and goodyears that peform equally.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Harley wears Mickey Thompson MTZ's. Ivy wears BFG KM2's. I like both but the Mickey T's are the tire we prefer between the 2.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
snochick said:
Harley wears Mickey Thompson MTZ's. Ivy wears BFG KM2's. I like both but the Mickey T's are the tire we prefer between the 2.
Mickeys are nice. I like creepy crawlers and cepics also.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yea I honestly wouldn't have bought them but I got a deal that I couldn't refuse. 500 bucks, 95% tread balanced on black steelies. Way out of my price range brand new. FYI 35/12.50 thornbirds actually measure out to 34/14.50

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
kjeeper10 said:
I'd like to see those in 35's :)
Her sidewalls are a bit dirty in the pic but those were taken Saturday.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Some of the best looking tires are too heavy for a JK. Many still run them though but shouldn't. I used to get a lot of compliments with the Goodyear MTR/s when I had them on but there are many nice looking tires. If I was to choise something besides the MTR's it would be the Mickey Thompson's. Duratrac's look good but the 15's are hard to balance if you want a AT. Same with the KM2's in 15's. They seem to have balance issues too in larger sizes.

Goodyear MTR's with Kevlar 285/70/17

·
Registered
16,640 Posts

Maxxis Creepy Crawler's.. They won't do you much good on the road do to being a non siped bias play mud terrain tire.. However they are spectacular offroad and since you only asked about best looking tire not best overall DD/WW functioning tire.. This is the tire for you..

Now if you wish to talk about function for a DD/WW instead of "what looks good", I can have that converstation as well

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
rics1997 said:
Some of the best looking tires are too heavy for a JK. Many still run them though but shouldn't. I used to get a lot of compliments with the Goodyear MTR/s when I had them on but there are many nice looking tires. If I was to choise something besides the MTR's it would be the Mickey Thompson's. Duratrac's look good but the 15's are hard to balance if you want a AT. Same with the KM2's in 15's. They seem to have balance issues too in larger sizes.

I haven't actually looked at these dura tracks people talk about bc it's an a/t and I would chew them up too fast. Gotta be something good with em though as popular as they seem to be.

I think the biggest reason you see those heavier tires being ran is bc of sidewall thickness. Especially in an area like AZ. The rocks here will chew through a thin sidewall in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
16,640 Posts

Maxxis Creepy Crawler's.. They won't do you much good on the road do to being a non siped bias play mud terrain tire.. However they are spectacular offroad and since you only asked about best looking tire not best overall DD/WW functioning tire.. This is the tire for you..

Now if you wish to talk about function for a DD/WW instead of "what looks good", I can have that converstation as well

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
rics1997 said:

One of the techs that balanced my tires said my out of roundness is most likely from the PO airing down. Does this have any truth to it?

I'm liking those MT's more and more now :thumb:
35x12.15x15 list at 66 lbs. I believe my KM2 is 62 lbs.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts