Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to have the opinion and also first-hand experience from members here that have run a 33/10.5/15 tire on Stock 7" steel wheels with a 4" lift.
My current setup are some American Eagle alloy 8" s and some 33/12.5/15 but I've never been a fan of tire sticking way past the fenders and my Sahara has the body matched flares that I don't want to mess with.
The way I see it I have two options with the 10.5" BFG T/A2s I'm getting; simply put them on my AE alloys and keep the custom look and have the tires stick out (although somewhat less than the 12.5 Grabber AT2 that are on now) or go full retro/ stock with the OEM khaki Painted steelies and have a tuck-in look but will probably have some tire rubbing on tight turns.
I'm going to attempt to link some pics of my jeep with the custom wheels and also a pick off the Internet of my jeep with stock wheels for reference. Opinions on the look and firsthand knowledge of performance Is much appreciated

Attachments

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,951 Posts
Not to open a can of worms, But how heartset are you on running the 33's? There is a lot varying opinions about running that big of a tire without a re-gear and/or axle swap.

You don't have your engine or gear ratio posted, My '89 with a 4.2 and 4.10's came with 33x12.5x15 rims and tires. Ran OK down the road on a 3.5 " total lift. Looks badass for an old heap, (Current file photo) but on some well respected advice from other posters, I opted to downsize to the 31x10.5x15 BFG's.

With the 33's I could get down the freeway at 75 with a little work,hit the top of my freeway onramp at 55 and prayed to be up to speed to merge before a trucker ran me over. In Town I putted around just fine, just never in a hurry.

Picked up my 31's from the Tire shop and hit the onramp to check out the ride, (Hell it was right there) Not really thinking about it, I hit the pedal and gears as I always do, Top of the ramp I was already in fifth, and was already at passing speed as I was reaching for the blinker. Speedo was irrelevent since the tire size change, But definate difference in acceleration and response, cruising down the road I found a new super power, I could actually pass my grandma for a change and use the fast lane. :awesome: In town in downright scoots, I can match a Honda off the line

Offroad I have a lot more room between the tires and wheel wells in case I ever get to pulling my sway bar and see how many directions my axles can go at once. Besides I run with a bikini top or topless and was getting tired of being nailed in the back of the head with gravel or water on a rainy day.

If your set on the 33's I really like my BFG's, But my "Tire Guy" said they really should be on a 7" rim. I'll post a pic of my setup tomorrow when I get some daylight.

Good luck

Reactions: Airslot and DREDnot

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
I'm currently running 33 10.50 km2's on stock wheels..
They rubbed pretty bad steering on both the sway bar links and the control arms so I got 1.5" hubcentric spacers and they don't rub anymore.. I also have painted flares and wanted to keep the tires inside them...

As it is my sidewall bulges out just past the flare but the tread is just inside it.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Fwiw my jeep came w wide MT fake bead locks and 33 12.50's..... i sold them inmediately and put these on

Attachments

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fwiw my jeep came w wide MT fake bead locks and 33 12.50's..... i sold them inmediately and put these on
Nice Jeep! Man those stocks are really tucked in very factory looking. I could see using some of The spacers all around.
This has helped greatly. I think my game plan will be put the new 10.5" on the alloys and dress up my OEMs as a spare set with some 31s later on down the road.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not to open a can of worms, But how heartset are you on running the 33's? There is a lot varying opinions about running that big of a tire without a re-gear and/or axle swap.

You don't have your engine or gear ratio posted, My '89 with a 4.2 and 4.10's came with 33x12.5x15 rims and tires. Ran OK down the road on a 3.5 " total lift. Looks badass for an old heap, (Current file photo) but on some well respected advice from other posters, I opted to downsize to the 31x10.5x15 BFG's.

With the 33's I could get down the freeway at 75 with a little work,hit the top of my freeway onramp at 55 and prayed to be up to speed to merge before a trucker ran me over. In Town I putted around just fine, just never in a hurry.

Picked up my 31's from the Tire shop and hit the onramp to check out the ride, (Hell it was right there) Not really thinking about it, I hit the pedal and gears as I always do, Top of the ramp I was already in fifth, and was already at passing speed as I was reaching for the blinker. Speedo was irrelevent since the tire size change, But definate difference in acceleration and response, cruising down the road I found a new super power, I could actually pass my grandma for a change and use the fast lane. :awesome: In town in downright scoots, I can match a Honda off the line

Offroad I have a lot more room between the tires and wheel wells in case I ever get to pulling my sway bar and see how many directions my axles can go at once. Besides I run with a bikini top or topless and was getting tired of being nailed in the back of the head with gravel or water on a rainy day.

If your set on the 33's I really like my BFG's, But my "Tire Guy" said they really should be on a 7" rim. I'll post a pic of my setup tomorrow when I get some daylight.

Good luck
I gotcha with that regear power, know all about it. I've got factory 3.55:1 and a souped-up 4.2 but am going to 4.56:1 very soon.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Thx man...

I think eventually I'm gonna pick up wider paintable flares and swap em out... also prolly gonna build my own slider/step rails.... their main purpose tho will be to keep mud n such from getting thrown on the body..... The plan will be to make them look very similar to the sahara steps that YJ's had except they'll be steel..... painted to match of course

Also.... I don't think I had the spacers on in that pic but at only 1.5" they don't make that much of a difference in a pic.

I drove it without for a couple weeks and I couldn't use the last 1/4 turn of the steering.... you could adjust the steering stops out if you didn't mind losing the turning radius....

LAST... in the pic my jeep still has stock susp and a 3" body lift.... I will be changing that at some point

I suspect that the sway bar will be less of a problem w a lift and longer links and I had planned on looking into bent front lower control arms in hopes of ditching the spacers.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
AH CRAP!!!!

After typing all that I JUST realized this is the YJ section.......

I have the same tires on my YJ with aftermarket rims... they stick out just a little

Attachments

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And I am kinda set on the 33s mainly(as much as I hate to admit it) for looks with the 4" lift. I know most off-roaders frown at 33s on D30/D35 combo but oh-well, I'd like to say only mild wheel'n also but when you're following much more capable Jeeps you've got to keep going. So we'll see. I do like the nostalgia of those body matched Sahara wheels but not at the function expense.

And the 7" or 8" rim for 10.5s... I'd prefer a 7" after looking at how the 12.5s sit on my 8" rim now, but I know both are very accommodating to a 10.5 tire..

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
I was always planning on going back to stock alloys on my yj eventually... now that ai have the tj I'm not sure what I'll do w it....
It (gold yj) does have the RE 4.5" extreme duty springs on it tho for reference
It also had 7" flares and the rear flares are tj style (bigger wheel well)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sig test

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
WAY too much sig.... EDIT: much better!

I've wheeled the piss out of my 33's and 30 35 combo for 10 years on the yj.... broken a few things but never the front or rear diff....

Use sense.... momentum and finesse will get you over obstacles.... creeping till you lose momentum and then gassing it will break stuff....
More than once I've watched folks w tons and 37's hop chew and bounce for 10 minutes to clear a hill and I shoot it in 10 seconds.

·
Registered
722 Posts
You might want to check and see if you can find a wheel with less back spacing but at that size tire it will probably be into the suspension and limit suspension travel if it is tucked in to far under the fender. I personally wouldn't run a 10.5 wide tire on a 7" rim, I prefer 8" wide wheels for that size tire. I always thought it made the top of the tire look to rounded.

I have 31x10.5x15 on Dick Cepek DC2 wheels and had to get 7" flares for the fender to get them covered.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sig re-test

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I made my decision and went with it. Although I love the pic above of the Sahara with the OEM Steelies.
I will take my time and restore my OEMs and put some 31s on them, and have it all.

Attachments

Reactions: DREDnot

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
Just an FYI...The factory upgrade wheels for the sahara were the alloy "five star" wheels if you wanted something OEM but no rust.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Noth'n wrong with that /\ , but I really like those body matched steelies with the pin striping(and I have a set) and center caps.
So now, with the OEM steelie 15x7s anyone running a 33/10.5 on 4" lift? I'm thinking a 1.5" spacer (as mentioned above) will get them just right under the fenders and full turning too.
Or maybe I'll just stick with some 31s on the second set 31s and 4.56:1(future) will make for some around town fun.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
:facepalm:

I recommend against spacers.
There are no good reasons for those things.
There are numerous reasons not to use them
Well then I'm sure a 33/10.5 would rub hard on full lock and may actually prevent a full lock turn. Maybe 31s on the steelies is the answer?

Reactions: DREDnot
1 - 20 of 22 Posts