Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will try to summarize as much as possible, I recently purchased a 2011 Wrangler Mojave edition used from a certified Chrysler dealership. The Jeep has 11, 500km on it and is fully loaded. During the purchase I caught the salesman in a lie in that he attempted to sell the vehicle to me for $29, 999 while it was advertised on their website for $25, 999. After some heckling, the sales manager agreed to refund my down payment and sell me the Jeep at the online price. This should have been a red flag as to the integrity of the dealership but against my better judgement I went ahead and purchased the vehicle as I was simply in love.

Since the purchase I have had quite a few issues with the Jeep, in particular electrical issues involving the headlights and tail lights. In addition the safety latch holding down my hood is defective and will not open properly. I have brought the Jeep into the dealership twice to service these issues but am now again having more electrical problems.

I have owned the Jeep for approximately 1 month and now have an appointment set up with the owner of the dealership to discuss my issues and concerns. What I'm asking you all is what do you think is fair for me to request? Should I ask for an entirely different vehicle? Cash? Or maybe something else? I have also considered contacting corporate. Looking forward to reading your replies, perhaps one of you have been in a similar situation.

·
Premium Member
7,097 Posts
DOes your state have a LEMON LAW? Look into it.
Lemon laws for used cars are very weak. You MAY have a case if the electrical problems are making the Jeep unsafe to drive, but other than that, it's a weak case. As a result, no lawyer will touch the case on contingency.

My advice (btw OP, I have helped my wife sue a number of dealers in regards to used cars, and she has a case currently going)....cut your losses now. Find another Jeep, trade this one in, take a small beating, learn your lesson, and move on. You are going to fight an expensive and probably a losing battle.

As for your owner meeting, is this a Jeep dealer? If so, do yourself a favor, ask for a full refund in CREDIT (the dealer will be more likely to accept this instead of cash) and get a new Jeep. For the price you paid, you can roll out with a 13. The monster residual value of a Wrangler is awesome once you own it, terrible when you're buying.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts