Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks! First post. I've searched on this and didn't see anything close enough to answer my questions so sorry if this is posted somewhere.

I've been looking for a couple months for a TJ in decent shape and keep finding ones something that I'm not overly thrilled with. So I've narrowed down a couple possibilities and am hoping I can get some opinions.

2001 Sport, 90K miles, hard top, stick, most options, overall in decent shape but has small to moderate rust bubbles in a few areas. Could get it for a little over $8K.

2001 Sport, 70K miles with pretty much the same specs and price as the other one. Body seems good but I found the frame under the drivers door is rotting and has a quarter size hole in it. Plus other small stuff like rear window hinges are about rotted off.

Based upon all of the experience here do either of these sound decent or keep looking? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I'm trying to stay around $8K but may end up going higher if these don't work out.

The 2nd one has a D44. Learned how to tell from lurking here. :)

It looks like they tried covering up the frame rot so like you suggested I may bang on it a bit to see how bad it is. Seems a lot of people have frame rust/rot but I haven't seen anybody say they would buy one that has it.

Thanks for your help!

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
Paulie said:
Yeah, I'm trying to stay around $8K but may end up going higher if these don't work out.

The 2nd one has a D44. Learned how to tell from lurking here. :)

It looks like they tried covering up the frame rot so like you suggested I may bang on it a bit to see how bad it is. Seems a lot of people have frame rust/rot but I haven't seen anybody say they would buy one that has it.

Thanks for your help!
Rust and rot are two different things.

Most frames will have rust, how much? That's what you have to fine out. If it sounds solid should be fine. Take it for a good drive. On and off road, listen for any clunks or vibes.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
It's very easy now to find jeeps without any rust.. eBay, auto trader, etc,, if it's got rust, just double you headaches every time you have to work on it.. you'll regret a rust bucket very quickly, but you'll never regret spending a little extra money to travel out of the rust belt for one with no rust ..

·
Registered
215 Posts
You guys making me nervous now. I thought rust went the way of disco. Never mind "rot". You mean I have to take a hammer to my next appointment? I am looking at a 2000. Is this something I really have to worry about?

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
Hammerdown said:
You guys making me nervous now. I thought rust went the way of disco. Never mind "rot". You mean I have to take a hammer to my next appointment? I am looking at a 2000. Is this something I really have to worry about?
Yup bring the "hammer down" bud lol
But no... You don't have to worry just be cautious. It depends a lot on where you live too.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's very easy now to find jeeps without any rust.. eBay, auto trader, etc,, if it's got rust, just double you headaches every time you have to work on it.. you'll regret a rust bucket very quickly, but you'll never regret spending a little extra money to travel out of the rust belt for one with no rust ..
Yeah, that's kinda why I'm hesitating with either of these. But I'm in the Chicago area so even more expensive newer ones I've looked at have had some body rust. I know frame rust is normal but was pretty surprised to see a rust hole. I'd need to book a flight to get far enough out of the rust belt. :)

Plus I keep getting sellers telling me "it's in great shape, like new, with no rust". And when I look at it, it looks pretty far from new. So I'd hate to take a road trip and have this happen.

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
Paulie.... there are a lot of folks that wouldn't mind taking a look if they are in the neighborhood before you make that long road trip. Doesn't hurt to ask

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good suggestion, thanks! Sounds like a great Jeep community at WF.

After the comments here, and more reading, I'm going back and forth on the rust. I just found a reasonably priced 2006 that's supposed to be spotless. Trying to set up a showing this week. Keeping fingers crossed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts