Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Keep Stock Running Boards, or Rip 'Em Off?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I keep my stock running boards, or go without? I just think the stock running boards look so dorky... pictures would be awesome!! :)

·
Registered
510 Posts
None is better.

If you want the side to look more finished, get some diamond plate, like a Rubi, or rock rails. I like mine as they have a tube, but they sit higher than the body.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I just think the stock running boards look so dorky...
Around here, the OEM plastic side steps are more accurately known as rock magnets. If you still have them on your Jeep, you are screaming out to all the world, "look at me--I never drive this thing in challenging terrain!!!"

Ditch 'em.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
I run without...My wife is short, so I made her a grab handle.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Im the only vote for "keep em", only because my significant other likes to use them to get in.

If you dont have to worry about passengers, ditch em or go for sliders.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Mine are still on. Voted to take them off.
The wife says she likes them. They will be coming off when she isn't looking.
Never get stepped on getting on or out of the Jeep.
They make a mess of your pant legs when the weather is bad.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Right now, it's the only means of getting the wife in and out. I'll be purchasing the Drop Kick Slyders very soon though.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Same here, only have them on so that my wife can get in and out easier. I will most likely be removing them as well.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
take em off for sure...

if you're keeping them for the girl to get in, she'll figure out another way. My girl is 5'3 and gets in just fine. My jeep from ground to the lip to get in is appx 35" as well. The first few times are awkward to get in but they develop a technique to get in.

Take em off

·
Registered
459 Posts
Pull them off and see if you like it. You can always put them right back on. Do you use them as a step? I don't think they are that dorky but I took mine off because I never actually used them, I found myself stepping over them instead of using them. They also collect a lot of dirt and debris.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
I took mine off because I got tired of getting my work slacks getting dirty every time I got in and out of the Jeep trying to step past them.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I never gave it much thought other than what a PITA it is to keep them looking decent (until I bed lined them). Then a few weeks ago I was trying to get out of my yard in snow and ran over a hunk of log I was using to split firewood. It jammed up under the running board and ended up breaking one end loose. I guess I'll can them pretty soon and hope my 5-2 wife doesn't notice they're gone (fat chance of that). Over the years I may have stepped on them on a couple of times and I can say I won't miss them. My grandkids use them but they're big enough now to climb in without them.

·
Registered
55 Posts
In the process of taking mine off right now and damn those nuts are rusted on there good ... Gonna spray with wd40 And let that soak

1 - 20 of 22 Posts