Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone,

I have a 2015 JKU with the base 130 head unit. Looking to keep the head unit but improve sound, bass, and volume and retain my audio and Bluetooth controls. The quote below is for the following.

LCQ-1 (oem integration eq 6 channel)
C2-650 JL Audio 6.55 c2 component system
SX800.4 Phoenix. Gold 125 watt x 4 amp
11HS8 Kicker Sub with amp
SK4241 Stinger amp wire kit
SI4617 6 channel RCA
SPW516BK speaker wire

With labor $2193.66

Want your thoughts on two things 1) are these good components?, 2 ) price - does it seem high or low?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am going to get a quote for a Pioneer NEX and speaker replacement. I am looking at the brand new 2015 models, getting some better than good reviews. If anyone hands me a estimate anywhere close to that, I am running for the hills :). I was looking at < $1000.

I am no audiophile, so I have no idea what a job like that would cost. Seems like a lot of money for an amp, new speakers and other misc devices. Again, I know nothing!

·
Registered
179 Posts
hey everyone,

I have a 2015 JKU with the base 130 head unit. Looking to keep the head unit but improve sound, bass, and volume and retain my audio and Bluetooth controls. The quote below is for the following.

LCQ-1 (oem integration eq 6 channel)
C2-650 JL Audio 6.55 c2 component system
SX800.4 Phoenix. Gold 125 watt x 4 amp
11HS8 Kicker Sub with amp
SK4241 Stinger amp wire kit
SI4617 6 channel RCA
SPW516BK speaker wire

With labor $2193.66

Want your thoughts on two things 1) are these good components?, 2 ) price - does it seem high or low?
These components are decent. Nothing great, but nothing awful either. The sub is questionable, but if you're wanting stealth then that's fine. You're only looking at around $1200-$1300 in materials though. You're getting hosed on the install. All of the stuff you just posted is pretty much plug and play. An 18 year old kid with a free Saturday could install all of that. Paying $1k for that install is pretty crazy to me. Hell, I hate running wires and I'd do it for half that.

I am going to get a quote for a Pioneer NEX and speaker replacement. I am looking at the brand new 2015 models, getting some better than good reviews. If anyone hands me a estimate anywhere close to that, I am running for the hills :). I was looking at < $1000.

I am no audiophile, so I have no idea what a job like that would cost. Seems like a lot of money for an amp, new speakers and other misc devices. Again, I know nothing!
The Pioneer NEX lines are like $800+ right? I'd be surprised if you got a shop to install that + speakers for anything less than $1k.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
My 4000NEX was about $529 with some free stuff thrown in from Sonic Electronix at Christmas time.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you think my added cost is from keeping the head unit? Or is it just the install driving it up?

·
Registered
248 Posts
way overpriced ... ditch the junk factory radio, upgrade the speakers, the kicker amp/sub combo is decent but nothing like a stand alone sub box, the 4ch amp is pawn shop / trading post quality .. the lcq-1 is a waste of money when the stock audio unit has mediocre quality to begin with... get yourself a quality car stereo with a proper EQ and crossover points.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Seems like a lot of $ to me, but I'm a huge DIY guy and resent paying anyone to do what I can do myself. As the previous posters have said, the system is not the greatest, but certainly not horrible. I would describe it as a respectable system that is a substantial upgrade from the stock one. Consider this- what if you did your own install, saved the roughly $1 grand in labor, and learned something new in the process? There's so much info available for free on the internet (including this forum), that you could do it yourself. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies. My idea to keep the stock radio us to retain my full steering wheel controls. Do some of the other head units allow that? It seems like uconnect is the one that seems to get messed up with the units like Raxion and Insane Audio and the iPod connections are not in the armrest

·
Registered
113 Posts
That seems expensive...
I would go a different way actually a friend of mine just did this last week!!

First- How loud do you listen, the factory radios don't sound bad and are capable of good output. I know some people may say they sound terrible, but being an audiophile myself I can tell you a few things for sure.
1 modern solid state amplifiers and receivers almost all sound the same, I don't care if you spend $20 or $20K, if its solid state and modern, at the same volume they are going to sound exactly the same, human brian and ears are not computer processors with shs microphones, we can only hear so much...

So first thing first. Level, how loud do you want it? A couple things to keep in mind. 1 the louder our ears hear the less the hear, so quality of sound deteriorates as the level we hear gets higher...

Now EVERYONE, jumps to "if you want it loud you have to have an external amplifier", this is false, the factory speakers can be replaced with speakers that are more efficient.

A lot of people don't know this but when you buy a speaker check the specs, you will see a "sens" rating, it will be something like 87.5db, that mens with 1 watt that speaker will hit 87.5db at a specific distance. So the higher that number the louder the speaker is with a specific amount of power.

This means, if you have a 20 w amplifier and your speaker rating is 87 db at 3ft away from the speaker you will get 100db, which is pretty loud, although that would mean you are turned to 100% max volume control and nothing sounds good there...

NOW take that same amount of power and distance BUT use a speaker that is 92db efficient, and you will have 105db, doesn't sound like much BUT when you figure that 3 db is a double the sound, its A LOT... So you are talking almost 4 times the output...

So I hope I explained that in a way that is easy to understand, the breakdown is the more efficient the speaker, the louder they are with X amount of power...

So what we did with my buddies JK is this..

Took out his stock headunit and replaced it with a 730n RHR stock NAV DVD unit. That cost $800 {I have the companies contact info if you want to know where to buy it for that amount}...
Then we added a lock pick v5 {this thing seems awesome, lets you use dvd and nav while driving, unlocks all the features and adds rear camera, etc..} $225

Then we swapped out his stock speakers for Polk DB6501's...
http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-DB...16172&sr=8-4&keywords=6.5"+component+speakers these are 92db efficient speakers , to put this into comparison the high efficiency alpines are around 87db. The jls you listed above are also efficient {I think they are 90db, which is really good too, but for the money the polks have a good sound and are more efficient, and of course half the price...

then for a sub and amp we used ID10D4 V.3 thats a 10" image dynamics sub, really nice sub for the money {probably imo this company makes the best sub for every price range from mild to wild, they are no joke}.
http://www.amazon.com/ID10D4-V-3-Dy...8143&sr=8-1&keywords=image+dynamics+subwoofer
enclosures are everywhere, you can have one made for $80 or buy one done http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-SEV10...18288&sr=8-4&keywords=10"+enclosure+subwoofer

for an amp we used the zapco {IMO, just awesome stuff for the money, agian from mild to wild, these are the amps to use} Zapco ST1 2yr Wrnty 400W Mono Block Class AB Car Audio Stereo MOSFET Amplifier | eBay for $99 who cares, lol, these are all there, and @ 2ohms, this thing will power any sub on the market...

Thats the stuff we added to my buddies, jk, he spent around $1500 and that was with a back up camera and some other goodies, BUT he got a nice sounding stereo, nav, hands free blue tooth, SUPER nice bass, back up cam, dvd, etc...

This will add value to your jeep too, since now it will have factory nav, and resale loves factory nav...

Another positive is, we used 5 tools to do the entire install, 7mm socket, wire strippers, screwdrivers, etc, all stuff most people have, and almost everything was plug and play, the only wires we had to run {which was easy} was a power from the battery to the amplifier, a remote wire from the lock pick to the amp with a set of rca's, a wire from the amp to the sub, and the wire from the lock pick to the back up cam, it took us about 2 hours total {we did the 730n earlier, but had to pull it all back out to do the rest of the install}....

If you are interested in this type of install let me know, I can get you the contact info for the factory radio guy.

Also you can add an amp to your component speakers, you just need to add multi ch amp {say $150} and rerun some speaker wires... Honestly if you don't listen at insane levels and you are just looking for some more bass and better sounding speakers, you will be happy with what we did to my buddies jk, if wanted to try it this way and then see if he was happy with it {which he is} if he wasn't he was going to add a component amp which would have been easy enough to do...

Feel free to ask any questions, I have been through so much audio equipment its almost sickening, I have over $50K in audio systems in my house, I have put spent $4K+ on stereos in my cars, and have been into this stuff my entire life, I install it all myself since that is half the fun for me...

PS- if you are set on aftermarket and don't like the idea of a factory nav unit and lock pick box, there are module that allow you to use factory wheel controls with aftermarket radios..
http://www.amazon.com/Axxess-ASWC-1...atcorr&keywords=steering+wheel+control+module
I have used them in other vehicles..

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
You are always going to pay a premium to have someone else do the work. If you can follow instructions, installing a stereo is not that hard. The biggest single improvement in sound will come from installing a new head unit with decent EQ capabilities...like the Pioneer NEX series. I originally swapped out speakers and added an amp for a new free-standing sub. It was a marginal improvement. I didn't want to mess with the factory head unit for the same reasons you stated. However, I later switched out the head unit for a Pioneer NEX and the difference in sound was astounding...and my Bluetooth and UConnect work exactly as they originally did.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
but being an audiophile myself I can tell you a few things for sure. 1 modern solid state amplifiers and receivers almost all sound the same, I don't care if you spend $20 or $20K, if its solid state and modern, at the same volume they are going to sound exactly the same,
Sorry dude, but you must be a deaf audiophile. A critical listener can certainly tell the difference between a $20 amp/receiver and one that costs $20K. True, perhaps not in a soft-top Jeep at 75 mph...but such a blanket statement is absolutely false. A critical listener can certainly tell the difference between a quality piece of audio equipment and one that was put together strictly to meet a low price point. I can. At nearly 68 years of age, I too have a lifetime of audio experience (dating back to tube amps and turntables), a 5-figure home audio system, and have been a subscriber to The Absolute Sound and Stereophile magazines for probably more than 30 years. I guarantee that the amp in my home audio system will do things that a $200 amp can only dream about. When you pay more for a piece of audio equipment, you are almost always getting better fidelity and a wider soundstage with improved depth and precisely placed instruments...not to mention frequency response that involves more than just your ears. If you can't tell the difference between your expensive home system and one from WalMart, anyone would seem to question why you spent the money.

·
Registered
36 Posts
hmm i think i have something to chip-in on this thread.

So, i went to a nearby family owned car audio store that i have got work done before. Took the jeep in, on its second day with me. And the guy had quoted $3600 with pretty much the same components as above, but also included the NEX unit and the backup camera. I asked him for a detailed quote, and that was a surprise for me. Things like cables,mounts,harnesses and stuff, which were like an avg of 50$ were listed as 199,299$. the labor charge for installing each of those components was 300$ minimum. The NEX unit was 500ish on amazon, and this guy was charging me 799$. the backup camera is the 19$ one listed on amazon, which he was sellling for 199$.

I understand that its a family owned small shop, and he cant offer equipment rated in comparison with retailers like amazon or crutchfield but still. that much of a markup was a tad overkill. Felt it was not worth that much of a markup.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Thanks for the replies. My idea to keep the stock radio us to retain my full steering wheel controls. Do some of the other head units allow that? It seems like uconnect is the one that seems to get messed up with the units like Raxion and Insane Audio and the iPod connections are not in the armrest
I used this controller to retain my factory steering wheel controls:

PAC RP4-CH11 Radiopro4 Stereo Replacement Interface with Steering Wheel Controls for Select Chrysler, Mitsubishi, Volkswagen Vehicles with Canbus

·
Registered
113 Posts
Sorry dude, but you must be a deaf audiophile. A critical listener can certainly tell the difference between a $20 amp/receiver and one that costs $20K. True, perhaps not in a soft-top Jeep at 75 mph...but such a blanket statement is absolutely false. A critical listener can certainly tell the difference between a quality piece of audio equipment and one that was put together strictly to meet a low price point. I can. At nearly 68 years of age, I too have a lifetime of audio experience (dating back to tube amps and turntables), a 5-figure home audio system, and have been a subscriber to The Absolute Sound and Stereophile magazines for probably more than 30 years. I guarantee that the amp in my home audio system will do things that a $200 amp can only dream about. When you pay more for a piece of audio equipment, you are almost always getting better fidelity and a wider soundstage with improved depth and precisely placed instruments...not to mention frequency response that involves more than just your ears. If you can't tell the difference between your expensive home system and one from WalMart, anyone would seem to question why you spent the money.
No apology needed "dude", My statement has been tested many times. I have gone to "THE SHOW", CES, many many shows actually, I have flown to Europe to demo equipment, and I have seen first hand a few people so dilluted with what they paid for a "preamp" that their brain will not let them comprehend that a company like parasound, Outlaw, or emotiva can make a preamp and amplifier that sound just as good as what they spend 40 times as much on.
Its an argument I am not going to lose and you are not going to change your mind on, I have been there belive me, I spent $12K on a preamp, $16K on a pair of mono amps, only to demo a parasound 2100 with a pair of outlaw 2200 mono blocks that did the same thing, I had 14 audiophiles from as far away as florida A B test the systems and agree they couldn't tell the difference at a given level...

Heres the thing, SPEAKERS make the sound, if you have a good preamp and amp it should no way color the music in anyway. Sure there are preamps with more features, maybe better made, smoother volume controls, etc but you are paying more to make your self feel better, no other reason.

Audiophiles have a tough hobby, there are tons of arguments and no one agrees on anything, some people swear a tube amp with vinyl spinning sounds better than a ss class a amp with a cd player, because they believe it with such conviction does it make it true? Not to me, lol...

And if anyone thinks they are going to get great stereo sound out of a jeep or any vehicle with door 4 door speakers and 2 in the dash, lol is insane, maybe just get a nice set of headphones... In a car you can get something balanced, something that will sound good in all seats, and be livable...

Again not looking to argue or insult you being an audiophile in anyway, just commenting on what I think and hear..

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey guys - so after a lot back and forth on what to do with base stereo (130) unit I ended up keeping the head unit and adding new speakers, sub, and amp.

I got the Kenwood XR900-5 amplifier, Kenwood 10" XR shallow mount subwoofer, memphis 6 channel line driver with Subwoofer knob in the glove box, Memphis Audio oversize rear coaxials and 3.5" direct coax/tweeters, and new 6.5's up front.

I have to say that I'm really pleased with how it all turned out. I have more bass than I'll probably ever need, the sound is clearer, and louder. Sound level 8 is about where I was before at 18 - so there's a lot of room to go up.

The installer was able to put the amp under the driver seat, off the ground and mounted to the underside of the seat. So water under the seat should not get to the amp. The line driver was put up about the driver side front under the dash.

Compared it to my buddy's Alpine in his 2015 JKU today and now he wants my system - although I think the Alpine sounds pretty decent.

Thanks for all the feedback.cant wait to get the top off now. Just ordered the Tuffy security enclosure to make sure no one lifts my sub.

Now I need to figure out if I should get a softtop!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts