Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In two weeks when I'm home from up north I'm gonna put my lift and boots on my two door JK.
I was thinking a 3" inch lift with 33" boots.
It's what I drive when I'm up north and it's my toy for the mud.
What do you guys think and what do you guys run?

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
3 inch is the max you'll want to go. 2.5 is a more common height and plenty for 33's. 33's on a 2-door look really good. Read some of the threads in the link below. Then, do some thinking, some window shopping and then ask about specific brands, types, add-ons, etc. This is your ride and handling were taking about. You want to get it right.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/jk-tech-common-questions-here-622938.html

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
3" is pretty high on a 2dr and even higher for 33's. Mommymallcrawler runs a 2.5" and 37's on her 2dr.

You asked for opinions, and I wouldn't go above a 2.5 with 33's on a 2dr. That however is a great combination.

Here is an AEV 2.5 and 33's:

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
You could do a level kit and clear the tires, or 2 inch if you want extra flex room and really wheel it. Technically you can run 33s with zero lift and some plastic trimming.

On a 2 door, you only need to lift high enough to clear your tires. Two doors have much better breakover than limos - the biggest benefit on 2 doors comes from raising diff clearance. The only way to get more diff clearance is under the axle with tire size, not suspension lift. Most lifts will also provide a little more than stated height, especially if your rig is light.

My 2 door rig on 2.5 inches with 37s could keep most of the same lines on an obstacle as a limo on a 5 inch lift with 40s. - I am lighter, lower center of gravity and better breakover.

If I didnt crawl rocks, I would run a small 1 inch puck maybe or a level kit with 33s all day long.

The higher you go in lift, the bigger the potential issues with driveline, keeping parts out of other parts, and potential issues with caster angles. No need to take that risk when you really dont need it. Two doors get way more finicky on higher lifts - adjustable arms are your friend. Also with big tires tend to get top heavy and tippy.

What gearing do you have? If 3.21, I would put the coin into a regear instead of a bigger lift.

This is my rig on 2.5 with chopped fenders and 37s. I clear everything, have good travel and can do everything I need my rig to do. Picture those tires 4 inches smaller (if you still have factory flares that will help a little to close up the wheel well). Another benefit of chopped or flat flares is you get clearance to stuff the wheels, without adding driveline issues trying to accomplish that with higher lift instead.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Yep as stated above a level kit is perfect for 33's and keeps things in proportion.

Mine with a Teraflex leveling kit (coil spacers) and 33's 305/70/16 tires. Plenty of room for some flexing. I have added 2" bumpstops for added protection as I will be going to longer Rancho 9000xl shocks soon.

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
I like the look VansMudder - perfect proportion. Maybe one day when I relegate my rig to trail queen and get a DD, I would DD a rig with that look for sure.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You could do a level kit and clear the tires, or 2 inch if you want extra flex room and really wheel it. Technically you can run 33s with zero lift and some plastic trimming. On a 2 door, you only need to lift high enough to clear your tires. Two doors have much better breakover than limos - the biggest benefit on 2 doors comes from raising diff clearance. The only way to get more diff clearance is under the axle with tire size, not suspension lift. Most lifts will also provide a little more than stated height, especially if your rig is light. My 2 door rig on 2.5 inches with 37s could keep most of the same lines on an obstacle as a limo on a 5 inch lift with 40s. - I am lighter, lower center of gravity and better breakover. If I didnt crawl rocks, I would run a small 1 inch puck maybe or a level kit with 33s all day long. The higher you go in lift, the bigger the potential issues with driveline, keeping parts out of other parts, and potential issues with caster angles. No need to take that risk when you really dont need it. Two doors get way more finicky on higher lifts - adjustable arms are your friend. Also with big tires tend to get top heavy and tippy. What gearing do you have? If 3.21, I would put the coin into a regear instead of a bigger lift. This is my rig on 2.5 with chopped fenders and 37s. I clear everything, have good travel and can do everything I need my rig to do. Picture those tires 4 inches smaller (if you still have factory flares that will help a little to close up the wheel well). Another benefit of chopped or flat flares is you get clearance to stuff the wheels, without adding driveline issues trying to accomplish that with higher lift instead.
Very helpful thank you
I have stock gearing now only bought the rig 4 days ago, she's got new bumpers in her now was the quickest little mod I could do before heading to work I got my lights waiting at home and then tires, lift, winch and fenders followed closely by regearing to 4.10. There is not much rock crawling around here in alberta nor am I very interested in that, I love getting dirty in the mud trails which I always did with my truck that I traded in for my jeep (not a single regret).

As of now I think I'll be very happy with a 2.5" lift with some thick 33" tires

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
Thanks for the compliment. My setup serves my purpose. A persons setup should serve their own not someone elses.
This is very very very true. Your rig needs to be able to do whatever you do.

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
Very helpful thank you
I have stock gearing now only bought the rig 4 days ago, she's got new bumpers in her now was the quickest little mod I could do before heading to work I got my lights waiting at home and then tires, lift, winch and fenders followed closely by regearing to 4.10. There is not much rock crawling around here in alberta nor am I very interested in that, I love getting dirty in the mud trails which I always did with my truck that I traded in for my jeep (not a single regret).

As of now I think I'll be very happy with a 2.5" lift with some thick 33" tires
Sounds like a good plan! I would try to get the gearing done as close to the tires as you can. You will be surprised at the difference the correct gearing will make.

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
Offroad, the pics I told you I would put up that may give a better look at the chopped fenders. Again, we werent really neat about it and it was a last minute chop job, but you can smooth them out, angle the cuts, and line the edges so they look nicer.

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Offroad, the pics I told you I would put up that may give a better look at the chopped fenders. Again, we werent really neat about it and it was a last minute chop job, but you can smooth them out, angle the cuts, and line the edges so they look nicer.
The red 4 door behind you are those cut or bought?? I like the slim look of yours tho I'm guessing just a saws all did the job?

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
The red 4 door behind you are those cut or bought?? I like the slim look of yours tho I'm guessing just a saws all did the job?
The red 4 door is my boyfriend (also a member here). His are home cut too, just a bit wider. Yep we just used some little saw thing to do them, then some other little tool (dremel maybe?) to smooth the rough edges a little biy.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The red 4 door is my boyfriend (also a member here). His are home cut too, just a bit wider. Yep we just used some little saw thing to do them, then some other little tool (dremel maybe?) to smooth the rough edges a little biy.
The size of his are exactly like I was going to buy from bushwaker. I'll be doing mine the same I think. Thanks for shinning some light on this awesome idea, you guys should post pics in the cheap jk mods thread

1 - 15 of 15 Posts