Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys..and GALS...I just purchased an 02 TJ sport for my daughter..her first vehicle and first JEEP. She wants the jeep lifted a "lil bit" but I want to make sure it stays totally road worthy and stable. I was thinking a 3" BB with 33's. As of this moment the jeep is bone stock. Just wanted some input from you guys on the lift..3" too much on BB? Any help is much appreciated..thanks

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
First, thanks for reminding me that I have a car fit for a girl. :)

Second, my daughter will be driving this jeep, so I have the same concerns. Frankly, if you want to keep it as safe as possible, don't lift it.

Third, there is no such thing as a 3" BB IMO. There are 2" BB and less, but really nothing too budget about going 3" due to additional modifications that are needed. When I think budget, I think spacers only or spacers and shocks. Others may feel differently.

Now, getting back to safety, lift, and daughters...some may bash me for my above comment, but fact is, the jeep will be most stable with no lift at all due to center of gravity. However, I do have a 2" BDS lift on mine which is springs and shocks on 31s. It is a nice setup that can be done economically and still be safe, but again, no lift would be safer.

Also, going all the way to a 33 may require a gear change in the differentials depending how you like it.

Just my opinions.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So possibly a 2"BB and 31's?? She really wants a little lift..which I cant blame her for that..she comes by it honest..haha.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
My daughter has been driving mine a lot lately and I'm glad I had the setup I did, because she was under the misconception that since it went so well in the snow she could drive 45 mph around a 90 degree corner like she normally did. The trouble was the corner was ice covered, she took out a 6x6 post mail box, through a 4 foot deep ditch across a lady's yard, slammed into a 6" tall driveway edge broadside, spun through that yard and into some telephone posts which swung her away from driving into the man's living-room, and ended up in his side yard,The set up is stock with 10" wheels and 5" back spacing wrapped in Pro Comp AT's 32x12.50x15. She was unhurt and the jeep has a couple of torn wheel flairs, lost 2 tires and 2 wheels. It should be a simple fix and the insurance co totaled it. They gave me a check for $5800 and I get to keep the Jeep. Now I get to lift the Jeep, new wheels and tires, and tube front fenders. And Ins check will cover it all. But the best part is that my son tells me her "lead foot" has turned to balsa wood. Here are a few of the pics.

You have to give Jeeps credit they make a Timex look plum delicate.

These were taken 2 days after the wreck since I know the homeowner, we just waited for a pretty day to deal with it.

Rear wheel driver side

Front wheel drivers side

The nose of the Jeep is sticking out from behind the guy's living room that she spun around instead of through.

The front drivers side wheel hit

the rear drivers side wheel hit

I plan on replacing the wheels with these but they will still be 10" wheels with 5" backspacing.

·
Registered
941 Posts
2" BB with some proper shocks and 31" is more than enough. Even though I'd like a bigger lift it is still pretty high and I can even do some pretty extreme trails with it.

More than 31" and you might have to consider a regear which is a little pricey.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is the way I am leaning..2" BB and 31's..she will love it..thanks guys!!!

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
So possibly a 2"BB and 31's?? She really wants a little lift..which I cant blame her for that..she comes by it honest..haha.
I think you will be fine with 31's and a 2" budget boost.... You can use your stock shocks as well ( if you want to )... I do and wheel it on the weekends. Which ever BB you get, MAKE SURE it comes with bumpstop extensions... they are a critical component of the suspension that many overlook.

This is what 2" Teraflex BB on 31's will look like for her.... factory rims done up black with Rustoleum Bedliner.. FYI

This BB was $130 from Summit Racing.... I did develope driveline vibes with only 2". Not saying you will... but be prepared... every Jeep is different. Some will... some wont. I corrected with a 1" T-case drop... then swapped it out for a 1" MML ( Motor Mount Lift). The T-case drop is easier... just buy 1" longer bolts and add washers to each of the 6 bellypan bolts and test drive until the vibes are gone. A little time consuming, but worth the $6 at the hardware store.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
VERY NICE!!! I love the way that looks...her jeep has those crappy style "canyon" wheels..I have never liked them..but she wants a polished wheel...so they are comin off anyways...thanks for the pics....did your lift come with bump stop ext?

·
Registered
292 Posts
My suggestion would be if she just wants a little lift with some bigger tires, a 2.5" suspension and some 32x11.5 tires look and perform great!

·
Registered
204 Posts
I've been shopping for something similar. So far, the best things I've read have been about Rugged Ridge 2.5" springs and shocks for around $300, is it's still on sale. It has progressive rate springs and is supposed to actually improve road handling a bit.

I also looked at BDS, which seems petty darn good to me, as they have a great rep. Also comes with springs and shocks, instead of spacers. Again, it should improve ride and handling.

Email Jeep and they will reply with the original build sheet, usually the same day. That will tell you the rear end ratio. You should be fine with 33's, 3.73 gears and a 1.25 body lift, but 31's are okay too. I have em, they just look small to me.

Oh yeah, you might need a t-case drop and will need a $50 rear track bar bracket with the RC lift. I think the BDS comes with those, not sure.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
vin??

I've been shopping for something similar. So far, the best things I've read have been about Rugged Ridge 2.5" springs and shocks for around $300, is it's still on sale. It has progressive rate springs and is supposed to actually improve road handling a bit.

I also looked at BDS, which seems petty darn good to me, as they have a great rep. Also comes with springs and shocks, instead of spacers. Again, it should improve ride and handling.

Email Jeep and they will reply with the original build sheet, usually the same day. That will tell you the rear end ratio. You should be fine with 33's, 3.73 gears and a 1.25 body lift, but 31's are okay too. I have em, they just look small to me.

Where do I go on the JEEP site to inquire about that build sheet your speaking of? Thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes...she gets her license in 6 months...she is chomping at the bit..haha

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
VERY NICE!!! I love the way that looks...her jeep has those crappy style "canyon" wheels..I have never liked them..but she wants a polished wheel...so they are comin off anyways...thanks for the pics....did your lift come with bump stop ext?

yep!

Install details for ya... under two hours...

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/teraflex-2-bb-installed-in-less-than-2hours-99763.html

BTW... many of us LOVE the Canyon rims.... they look GREAT in black as well.... Polished rims= polishing on a regular basis and can get time-consuming.... FYI

Chrome is easier, if you are going for the bling....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have never been a fan of the rims..guess thats why there are sooo many wheels styles out there..to each his own..polished..yah..told her about the whole keepenem polished thing..she says "o I will dad"...lol Dad will be keeping them polished I suppose.. thanks for the info on the kit

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Cheapest option is pucks and stock shocks but the shocks won't last.

If you want a nice kit with pucks, shocks and extensions I would go with Rubicon Express and get the hydro shocks. About 240 bucks.

Otherwise, do what I did and get the 2" spring kit from BDS. Great springs and shocks to match. 300 bucks or so.

I needed to relocate my rear track bar due to my 10.5 tires. You can do that with a 20 dollar bracket or a 140 dollar adjustable track bar.

I actually netted 2.5" with my lift but it will likely settle a little.

All the BDS stuff is made in the US.

Their website is the best!

Also, zone makes good stuff, owned by the parent company of BDS, but cheaper. They don't carry the same warranty as BDS and more stuff is imported.

If you wallet can handle a few more bucks, BDS is a solid option.

The trick with buying from them us to use the website to see what you need, bit don't order from them. Call a local retailer. Mine gives 15 percent off of list.

I think I paid 400 or so including shock boots and I also added a steering stabilizer.

·
Registered
698 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Man...I really appreciate all the good info and help here guys...very aesome to see ppl getting together to help one another...THANKS!!!!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Also, since safety is a concern, make sure you get it aligned after the lift AND make dam sure you or someone else checks all bushings and fittings especially up front. Lifts can bring on an awful problem known as the "death wobble" where the Jeep front wheels will toss back and forth violantly. Lifts don't cause this problem per se, but they sure seem to exist more in lifted ones. Bad ball joints, bad bushings, lose bolts, bad alignments, bad tires, bad lots of things can contribute to the problem. You will know when you have it becuase you will need to change your shorts.

At least when a lift goes on, it is a great opportunity to give the underside a good once-over.

Look, I am a dad of three girls...one I already burried...that's another story and was not car related (cancer), so when it comes to safety, I take this shit seriously.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts