Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

I just got some Rubicon wheels and tires for my 2 door JK. Currently trying to gauge the lift height I want that won't require buying larger tires. I was wondering what you all think is...

1) The highest lift for this setup (2 door, 2015, stock 32" rubi tires) without looking silly

2) What you think the optimal lift of this setup would be

Pictures would be GREATLY appreciated! :)

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
I personally would put zero lift with stock tires, "maybe" a level kit just to banish the rake more than to lift. On a 2 door, you have nothing to really gain from lifting without bigger tires - at least 4 doors keep their big belly out of stuff when they do it, and that is no issue on 2 doors. Why are you lifting?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think this setup would look fine with a 2-2.5 inch lift. That way you have plenty of room for flex. If it were me though, I'd just put on a leveling kit and some spidertrax wheel spacers to give it a good look without the tires looking tiny.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I personally would put zero lift with stock tires, "maybe" a level kit just to banish the rake more than to lift. On a 2 door, you have nothing to really gain from lifting without bigger tires - at least 4 doors keep their big belly out of stuff when they do it, and that is no issue on 2 doors. Why are you lifting?
Lifting out of fear of hearing a lovely grating sound when I go to Big Bend over the summer. I do plan on putting bigger tires eventually but it seems wasteful to not use the OEMs since they were take-offs and I did pay for them. Leveling kit seems like a good option for the moment until I get the bigger tires + lift later on. Thanks for the input!

I think this setup would look fine with a 2-2.5 inch lift. That way you have plenty of room for flex. If it were me though, I'd just put on a leveling kit and some spidertrax wheel spacers to give it a good look without the tires looking tiny.
Yeah I was thinking about 2”, but even then I think it looks a bit weird from pics I've seen. Sounds like I'll be doing a leveling kit for now. Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
Skid plates. Even the stock tinfoil ones can take a few good dings. These are meant to be clunked, that's why they are there. Beefier aftermarket skid plates will do more for your concern than a lift.

Also, your diff and lower control arms are the lowest parts on the Jeep-a lift does not raise them, only tires do. These should be skidded or new diff cover as well.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Skid plates. Even the stock tinfoil ones can take a few good dings. These are meant to be clunked, that's why they are there. Beefier aftermarket skid plates will do more for your concern than a lift.

Also, your diff and lower control arms are the lowest parts on the Jeep-a lift does not raise them, only tires do. These should be skidded or new diff cover as well.
Will do. This should save me some money compared to a lift lol, well until it's time for new tires that is. Thanks again!

Edit: Just looked at the prices... maybe I won't be saving anything buying these. But I would need them anyway despite the tires. Are there any brands you recommend?

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
Consider how much replacing a transfercase would cost, and skids are indeed a bargain lol.

There are lots of good brands. Rock Hard (thats what I have - inspection pic below lol), EVO, River Raider, JCR, Artec, Synergy, JCR - just about every major Jeep fab type business makes them.

If you have an automatic, at least start with an oil skid - there is NONE there from the factory. The other places you at least have factory skids. Then buy additional pieces as time and funds permit. You dont have to do them all at once. Then I would probably tackle diff cover/skid and control arm skids next - these are the lowest points. Tho you can do them in any order. Depending just how much crunching you plan to do, a replacement crossmember should be added somewhere in your skid plans. The factory one is whimpy, but it will survive some good clunks so not a must do for now if you break up buying skids over time.

Since you dont have a Rubicon, your pinch seam/rocker needs something as well. If you cant budget rock sliders, hunt Craiglist or WF for sale section for some takeoff Rubicon rails. A local dealer here who mods a lot of Jeeps was recently selling their supply of ones they had taken off for $50 a set. These are pretty decent and will save the lower edge of your body. I still have my Rubicon rails, tho I am ordering rock sliders soon.

Also once you find a brand you like, reach out to WF sponsor vendors and most can usually save you a good buck.

And you can throw on a small puck lift/level kit (ie $200-300) as well if you want, then just do a big spring lift when you get bigger tires.

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Consider how much replacing a transfercase would cost, and skids are indeed a bargain lol.

There are lots of good brands. Rock Hard (thats what I have - inspection pic below lol), EVO, River Raider, JCR, Artec, Synergy, JCR - just about every major Jeep fab type business makes them.

If you have an automatic, at least start with an oil skid - there is NONE there from the factory. The other places you at least have factory skids. Then buy additional pieces as time and funds permit. You dont have to do them all at once. Then I would probably tackle diff cover/skid and control arm skids next - these are the lowest points. Tho you can do them in any order. Depending just how much crunching you plan to do, a replacement crossmember should be added somewhere in your skid plans. The factory one is whimpy, but it will survive some good clunks so not a must do for now if you break up buying skids over time.

Since you dont have a Rubicon, your pinch seam/rocker needs something as well. If you cant budget rock sliders, hunt Craiglist or WF for sale section for some takeoff Rubicon rails. A local dealer here who mods a lot of Jeeps was recently selling their supply of ones they had taken off for $50 a set. These are pretty decent and will save the lower edge of your body. I still have my Rubicon rails, tho I am ordering rock sliders soon.

Also once you find a brand you like, reach out to WF sponsor vendors and most can usually save you a good buck.
Lots of good info. Screenshotting this for my future purchases. Thank you so much! :)

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
IMO, a small lift/level looks great with the stock Rubicon wheels & tires. Here is my Rubicon with an AEV 2" spacer lift (2" front, 1" rear).

As mentioned, skids are always a good idea: I have an engine skid, exhaust loop skid, front & rear control arm skids, evap canister skid, front & rear diff guards, and an AEV rear diff slider.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts