Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently on a 24 test drive of a 13' JKU sport with 3.5" lift and 35's. It has a 6 spd manual trans and according to the vin search tool on Jeeps website, it has 3.73 rear gears. The only thing I do not like is acceleration is very sluggish. It also has a dual Gibson exhaust and Airraid intake installed.

Spoke with a friend that has a lifted automatic 14' and he claims to have great power with 2.5' lift and 35's. So what is up with the manual trans then? I have an 06 TJ manual and they are about equal in available power. The newer obviously better in the top end though.

Anyone have thoughts on this? To be fair, I would be coming from a Nissan Titan with a V8 so I know I have to take this into account.

Thanks!

·
Retired Moderator
100,683 Posts
This subject is discussed quite often. It really is a matter of preference.
When you compare one verses the other for power, you really need to know if they are geared the same. That's just the starting point, next is tire size and weight. 4 door weight, verses 2 door weight, plus other possible added weight like bumpers and or a winch. So there are a lot of variables involved!

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/automatic-or-manual-327089.html

^^^This is a Link to one of these Threads, that may help to answer your question!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This was a local Fortec build for a dealer and I guess the original owner just wanted a mall crawler. Its awesome in everyway except for the slow get up..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When you compare one verses the other for power, you really need to know if they are geared the same. That's just the starting point, next is tire size and weight. 4 door weight, verses 2 door weight, plus other possible added weight like bumpers and or a winch. So there are a lot of variables involved!

^^^This is a Link to one of these Threads, that may help to answer your question!
Thanks.. sounds like I need to try out an auto as well. Wife really thinks a jeep should be stick and I tend to agree but it will be a daily for me (50-75 miles per day) and I'm Ok with either.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts

Oh Yeah and what kinda Date you takin' to Da Dance........:)

·
Super Moderator
10,656 Posts
Ugh Rubi, where do you get these pix? I need to view your posts with a napkin over my mouth...

But getting to the OP: a buddy has a 2013 Rubicon Unlimited 6-speed, 4.10 with 35" tires and was complaining of the same. Turns out, his accelerator wasn't calibrated well.

Good luck.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've been a fervent manual transmission guy for 20 years, but today's 5 and 6 speed autos are better in every way. The autos in the '12+ JK's are good. NSG has some common issues. If it's a dog with 35s then you might just regear or get 33's.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Yeah the manual is plenty peppy. That's not the issue. More likely gearing. You mention your buddy has the same gears. But does he have the same tires? All 35's aren't equal. Yours could be heavier.

·
Registered
970 Posts
try the throttle calibration....the jk has a lot of peddle travel so the dead spots at the beginning can be horrible .....also did they calibrate the speedo for tire size that can make a huge difference in how it runs too

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Thanks.. sounds like I need to try out an auto as well. Wife really thinks a jeep should be stick and I tend to agree but it will be a daily for me (50-75 miles per day) and I'm Ok with either.
Why does your wife think a Jeep should be a stick? Does she also think all Jeeps should have 2 doors? What else does she want you to do?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Wife really thinks a jeep should be stick and I tend to agree
Holy shit she's a keeper!! All these threads about stick vs auto and all the sissies that can't drive a manual in traffic/rocks/highway etc and you have a wife on board with a 6-speed!! Awesome man, just awesome!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. This was just a test drive from a local dealer and the first Jeep I've looked at. I'd like to look at others with manual and auto trans to make sure I would be happy with it as a daily driver. I'll keep the accelerator calibration mod in mind as well.

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
Manual here.. I also have 4.10's with 35' which Ill regear at some point as it is pretty sluggish, but I didn't buy it to be a fast car. So meh!

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
This isn't a manual v auto preference thread. OP was just asking if one was quicker than the other.

Seems there is no significant difference between the two.

OP - you are measuring your test drive against comments made by your buddy. No way to compare those.

If the subject vehicle is all good but you think it is sluggish, you first need to make sure you don't think ALL JK's are sluggish.

If it's just this ONE that feels sluggish, you'd either need to pass in it or leverage the need to regear it in your negotiations.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
The M6 trans has taller gear ratios compared to the A5
This is a comparo between the old 4 in the 07-11 JK',s 5 speed in the 12+ JK's and M6 from 07+ JK's.

Gear, A4, A5(WA580), M6
1, 2.84, 3.59, 4.46
2, 1.57, 2.19, 2.61
3, 1.00, 1.41, 1.72
4, 0.69, 1.00, 1.25
5, N/A, 0.83, 1.00
6, N/A, N/A, 0.797
R, 2.21, 3.16, 4.06

1 - 20 of 20 Posts