Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 jk sport 2 dr. with no lift. I want to replace the stock shocks with either bilsteins or om emus. I do not plan on lifting and i'm running mt bajas (285/70/17). Any experience with either of these shocks? Pros/cons? Thanks in advance for your input. Terry

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
I run the HD Bilsteins with a HD Mopar coil lift. I also had the shocks before the coils. I love how they feel and ride. The stock hydro shocks were mushy and allowed too much body roll. The Bilsteins are firm and responsive.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Any other gas shock reviews out there? I have a 1" puck up front with the coils swap upgrade. Plan on getting the Teraflex leveling kit so it will add another inch front and rear so I need new shock to handle the extra lift not to mention the stock shocks suck anyways.

My only problem is my budget is hurting after too much fun with the Jeep this summer (not to mention the mods and regearing costs already) so looking for the best bang for the buck at the moment.

·
Registered
170 Posts
twalton:

I am running the same size tire as you, no lift, and have Bilstein gas shocks on my 2011 JK. The ride is a bit more aggressive when you go over bumps, ruts, etc. but the JK feels very stable with the shock change. The only thing is that bright blue and yellow color on the shocks really shows up under my Flame Red Wrangler.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks to all for your input. texas tc: i think i will go with the old man emus for that very reason. i would rather have the all yellow versus the yellow/lt. blue combo. both shocks get great reviews. thanks again.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I run the HD Bilsteins with a HD Mopar coil lift. I also had the shocks before the coils. I love how they feel and ride. The stock hydro shocks were mushy and allowed too much body roll. The Bilsteins are firm and responsive.
I'm not sure about any lift, for me... but a better ride and reduced roll certainly has appeal.

Quick "funny" story: shortly after buying the Jk, I entered a couple of offramps at speed and thought "wtf!?!". I'll be honest- it was a little new and clenchy for me.

As time conti ued, I began to get used to it, trust it- after all, this is my first Wrangler and it rides differently.

Then yesterday, on the same ride that chipped my windshield, the car in front of my on I-71 kicked up on of the myriad retread gators that have been lining our higway like locusts this year.

I made some rapid evasive maneuvers... ..and remembered, as they were happening, that I was in the Wrangler in the midst of the weaving and the rolling and the holiy shi**ing.

Well, it's behind me now and you know what? On the ride home, the Wrangler handled the best it ever has- I sispect pushing it further than I would normally want to just put me in a whole hew world of confidence.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts