Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, WF guys and girls! Just purchased my first ever tj :punk: And have a couple questions.

First off, I have the dana 30/35 combo, yay lol. I have 285s on right now. I've been looking around on this site and seen some pretty smart tj experts here. So, what is a safe tire size to run WITH a locker front and rear? or maybe no locker at all becuase they are POS'S?

Second, as you can see from the pic it has beadlocks. what's a good psi to run when out trailin it up? As well as, what is a good cheaper(<$100) portable air compressor?

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok the pic thing didn't work, but it has beadlocks.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
D30 holds up pretty well to a locker. The D35 breaks more often with a locker, so most will advise against it for reliablity.....but lots of people out there run lockers and run big tires on the D35 and run them hard until they snap. Then they look to upgrade to a D44 or Ford 8.8 when they get tired of buying axle shafts and gears. (Then they get even more aggressive with the foot and start breaking those axles and head toward 1 ton axles.)

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what is you your opinion on the current size tire I am running with a locker? becuase I am satisfied with the tire size(285s or 32.7 inch tires)? And some 30 spline upgraded axels?

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
FireMike said:
Hey, WF guys and girls! Just purchased my first ever tj :punk: And have a couple questions.

First off, I have the dana 30/35 combo, yay lol. I have 285s on right now. I've been looking around on this site and seen some pretty smart tj experts here. So, what is a safe tire size to run WITH a locker front and rear? or maybe no locker at all becuase they are POS'S?

Second, as you can see from the pic it has beadlocks. what's a good psi to run when out trailin it up? As well as, what is a good cheaper(<$100) portable air compressor?
Is it beadlocks or streetlocks (fake beadlocks)?

The d30 is a good axle and can handle a 35in tall tire locked.

The d35, well theres a reason they call it a turdy-five, but you should be able to run 33's with it open and if you want to lock it you can throw a set of chromo axle shafts in there or switch to a 8.8 or d44.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have a locker in my turdy-five. I put chromoly shafts in it. I run 285's. I also run a locker in my front 30. I really like being locked front and rear and I know I'm taking a chance. Before I put the locker in I was locked up front with the LSD in the rear and it was still awesome and would go anywhere I wanted to go.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya no prob. And how can I tell if its c-clip or non c-clip?

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks thomas! im intern firefighter here in oregon lol. Would you say its reliable with the chromlys in there? im not a full out throttle guy if I can't get through somgthing. I def want a good dd, but will not get lockers if thats what sacrifice with these axles.

·
Registered
304 Posts
That's cool! I would like to visit Oregon someday. The axles I'm using are 27 spline 4130 alloy USA. They are strong but won't handle a bounce situation. I have an auto so it's easy for me to crawl up stuff without bouncing bucking and stalling like with a stick. Have still done the famous bump it up to get the back to climb with no issues.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Also all Dana 35's in wranglers have c-clip axles.
all d35 TJ axles are c-clip unless a c-clip eliminator was installed along with chromolly shafts, Some of the early YJ d35s were non-C-clip axles

·
Registered
304 Posts
CMA_Rider said:
all d35 TJ axles are c-clip unless a c-clip eliminator was installed along with chromolly shafts, Some of the early YJ d35s were non-C-clip axles
That's what I meant. Lol

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
id put a chromoly set of shafts in the 35. then id go with a locker up front, and at first a Detroit truetrac in the back. if you later find you need a locker put it in then. a limited slip will highly increase your traction off road as well as on.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
test pic

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
a little bigger so you can see the pic lol......sorry im new

·
Registered