Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
Im trying to figure out why the newer one is about half the price of the other one.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
IMO it is tough to tell what they are worth...(yes they are worth what someone will pay) the '03 is comparably priced for our area and the '05 SEEMS like a steal...But both of the ads have things that show the people or dealers placing the ads don't know what they have.......one talked about alloy wheels and it has steelies IMO...and the other one where it ask for displacement it lists 4.0 it also lists the 4.0 for what motor...think displacement would say how much horsepower...which for a Jeep is not that big a deal.

Bottom line based on what I can see the '05 is cheap the '03 is average..which do you prefer stick or auto....that is about the biggest difference......

·
Registered
948 Posts
I would be worried about that 05 and it saying private seller and they are wanting a 2.5k deposit. And I always try to stay away from ads saying that they are selling for a super cheap price and need to sell before a specific date. If I had to choose between the two it would be the more expensive '03 just based off of the ad. Just my .02.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Dr.Evil all I can suggest is be patient. You will find the perfect TJ if you look carefully and take your time. I suggest you find a nice clean stock jeep, that way you know for sure that any improper modifications done by the previous owner wont affect any decisions in the future. It would suck to buy a jeep, only to find out the previous owner cut corners on mods. GL on your hunt!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would look for a stock jeep. That way you can build it together with quality parts and have it exactly how you want it. The 05 does sound very sketchy. It says their phone doesn't work.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Both look good, just gotta test drive them. I like the 03 more than the newer one and I'm sure there's room for negotiation with it being modified and no back seat.

·
Registered
265 Posts
You're paying for the mods on that 03 if you ask me. The 05 seems more reasonably priced. Be weary about the scam though. It's easy to keep yourself safe though. Don't let a deal slip away just because it seems sketchy. If you're local, go check it out, don't pay any money without signed paperwork.. But if it were me, I'd wait for a stock jeep that some guy's wife drove to the grocery store and work and just wants a new car. GL!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
The 05 is a scam. "Dealer ad but the phone doesn't work so you have to email me"? Look up the dealer and call them. Bet they know nothing of this deal.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yeah the 05 is a scam, the 03 is actually at a new car dealer not a sled lot. I do have to agree with what mike8847 said though.

These days being a chysler dealer means you have to maintain a certain level of respectability, they dont let just any one be a dealer any more. With that there are certain things a dealer finds they must do even for their used cars, like detailed inpections and the like, just to be sure they arent selling a pile of junk. At least thats how we operated at tucson dodge.

All that being said, a jeep on the lot is money in the bank, never have I seen a jeep get sent to auction cause it wouldnt sell. Take a good look at it and make them accountable. Dont be afraid to say "I am a buyer" but put conditions on it. "I'll buy if you fix this clunk or this broken vent or this wobble etc" they can agree and make a sale or they can be jerks and wait for someone less savvy to come along. Also, dont be afraid to ask them to show, in the desk manager's computer screen, how much they own the vehicle for. If they wont agree to fix stuff but they show you they own the vehicle for what they are selling for, well then its a little harder to get them to pay for stuff and at that point the decision is all on you.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Another vote for the 05 being a scam............way too low of a price, unless it's wrecked (doesn't appear to be from the pics)

The 03 (for my area) is at a real good price. I got my 99 for 8K and that was a good price for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts