Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am watching Craigslist daily, and this just came up today. I am on the hunt and ready, but I am not willing to overpay by much, if at all. I want a clean starting point for a "not so extreme" build, but absolutely not stock.

I feel like this is a very clean Jeep, but a bit high price, especially for the mileage. I want your opinions.

https://roanoke.craigslist.org/cto/5461960231.html

·
Registered
533 Posts
I like the second one better but most people will tell you ,there is no idea the mods were done right.Hense a stock one is a better choice and do mods yourself.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I am watching Craigslist daily, and this just came up today. I am on the hunt and ready, but I am not willing to overpay by much, if at all. I want a clean starting point for a "not so extreme" build, but absolutely not stock.

I feel like this is a very clean Jeep, but a bit high price, especially for the mileage. I want your opinions.

https://roanoke.craigslist.org/cto/5461960231.html
I saw an LJ in the Houston CL for similar money and milage. It looked super clean and had all the severe records. Road trip for sure.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the second one better but most people will tell you ,there is no idea the mods were done right.Hense a stock one is a better choice and do mods yourself.
The second one has been my first choice of all that I have seen, and I can attest to where the mods were done and that they were done properly. The white one however, I cannot. He said he has only owned it for "almost a year." That in itself is concerning to me. Who knows how the maintenance was before him, and even with him for that matter.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Both overpriced. 100-150k miles, near stock, minimal rust, 2002+ for around $8k(hardtop) $7.2k(soft) should be your goal. It's February, so you should still be able to get a deal if you're patient and move fast.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Uhmmm, the white one says cruise control in the description, yet there is no cruise control buttons on the steering wheel.....red flag?

therefore I like #2

·
Registered
646 Posts
i like the first one (white sport) because new paint, new KM2s, MT classics are sweet, matching full size spare, gears, and lockers? you can't go wrong. overpriced? perhaps, but i wouldn't know if $8k is overpriced for that kind of shape, especially with that kind of mileage. question is, how hard were those 176,000 miles driven, and would it make a difference if they were interstate or city miles? to what extent is the tow package? does that mean tow hitch and dana 44 rear or just the tow hitch? either way, i'd take the time to look into it in person if i were you.

the sahara; i see you having to change tires in the near future, although the Baja ATZ is nicer on the road and has a good tread wear review. has a wench (guessing it comes with the gf, who's probably a swamp donkey...jk i saw that WINCH), and front bumper.

i have a '99 sahara and, truthfully, i'm sick of looking at a green and beige interior with a beige and black dash and black gauge cluster. and black bumpers don't look right with a green body and beige hardtop.

to me, anything bought used will have some squirrels running around in there. our good friend Murphy and his Quantum Law shall explain: "Anything that can, could have, or will go wrong, is going wrong, all at once."

·
Registered
281 Posts
I agree with DaJeepNotCheap,
Looks new, price seems good to me, I paid $9000 for my 2000 Wrangler in Colorado (no rust) Had a 4" lift on it already, killer audio system, front & rear after market bumpers and a 12,000 lb winch
If you find a jeep with little too no rust, then to me the mileage doesn't matter a whole lot. Motors and tranny's can be changed out,

I've changed out the water pump & most of the control arm bushings so far, so there may be a few repairs to do on it

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Uhmmm, the white one says cruise control in the description, yet there is no cruise control buttons on the steering wheel.....red flag?

therefore I like #2

Great call! I just texted and asked him about that one. As for the gears and locker, is there any way that I can visually confirm these without tearing into it?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Run, don't walk, from this one.

7.5" lift
40" tires
rebuilt title

Need I say more!

Personally, I'd look for a well cared for stocker and go from there. Anything else could be problematic.
Kinda what I was thinking. The rebuilt, and the automatic were both issues for me. The price intrigued me, but that was about it. haha

·
Registered
519 Posts
I would be looking closely at the frame of the white one. Why was it repainted? Other than that it seems pretty reasonable. The regear to 456 is worth $2000. Wheels and tires are $1000 easy. $5000 for a stock one is a good price.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would be looking closely at the frame of the white one. Why was it repainted? Other than that it seems pretty reasonable. The regear to 456 is worth $2000. Wheels and tires are $1000 easy. $5000 for a stock one is a good price.
Is there anyway that I can visually confirm the regear and locker?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As for the repaint, if I get one other than this one, it will be repainted as soon as I get it anyway. Im just funny like that, I want a good looking paint job, regardless of what I am about to put it through. lol

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
**UPDATE ON THE WHITE 1999**

I just talked to him again, and asked about the cruise control and his response was "only the Saharas had cruise, this one doesn't." He was confused as to why I asked, his wife posted it for him. He had throat surgery a little over a month ago, and this has to go to put towards his bills. He does have the receipts for everything, and I actually know the guy who did the gear and locker install. He confirmed everything the guy said to me.

Im feeling quite a bit better about it now. I told him that I wanted him to meet me at a friends shop so I could put it up on a lift, and he agreed without hesitation. Also, he will take $7500...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts