Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide on a winch for my 2012 JKUR. I'm installing an AEV Premium Front bumper and need to choose a winch.

I'm mostly set on Warn, because they are made in the USA and have an excellent warranty and reputation. I also want something with synthetic rope.

I'm leaning towards either the Warn M8000-s or 9.5cti-s models.

It seems for the extra expense the 9.5cti-s gives me more load capacity and faster speed, and perhaps better weatherproofing.

Would the M8000-s have enough pulling power for a JKUR?

I also looked at the 9.5xp-s, but I'm thinking for the money I think I'd rather have the faster no-load line speed.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Alan

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Either one will do the job. If you can afford the 9.5, buy it.
X2

I bought the 9.5, but went back and forth over that and the m8000 for quite awhile before doing the deed. In the end, the extras you mentioned in your post made the difference for me...that and the fact that I could afford the extra $$ outlay.

·
Registered
26,916 Posts
Just to add a little bit more fuel to the fire, I just sold the like new M8000 I had mounted on my TJ. I bought it new, but when I bought it I wanted an 8274.
I now have an 8274.
Buy what you really want the first time.

·
BBQTIME
174 Posts
Have you seen the new Warn Zeon? I wonder how it will stack up to the cti. I'm holding off on my purchase until I can answer this.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you seen the new Warn Zeon? I wonder how it will stack up to the cti. I'm holding off on my purchase until I can answer this.
Thanks for the heads up about this! Looks like a great product.

Although there doesn't seem to be any confirmation that this winch will fit the AEV bumper, I'll probably wait a little while to order a winch now.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can get the VR-8000s for $729.99, and the M8000-s for $899.

The line speed specs for the M8000-s are significantly faster (not quite double on the high end of the load range). The pull specs are identical for each.

It seems worthwhile to spend the extra $169 to get the faster speeds and a product that is Made in the USA instead of overseas.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I can get the VR-8000s for $729.99, and the M8000-s for $899.

The line speed specs for the M8000-s are significantly faster (not quite double on the high end of the load range). The pull specs are identical for each.

It seems worthwhile to spend the extra $169 to get the faster speeds and a product that is Made in the USA instead of overseas.
I have had a M8000 on my Chevy 4x4 for years and it never let me down, so when I needed another winch for my jeep it was easy for me I bought another M8000. I bought the M8000 from Amazon and got the synthetic rope locally. You can get a M8000 on Amazon for around $600.00.
My buddy bought a VR8000 and now wishes he had not it's slow and there is a smell like burning plastic every time he uses it. He call Warn and they told him the smell will go away after more use. I have no idea what that smell could be maybe some left over fried rice inside it.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Wow, I was set on the CTIs but now quickly changed my mind. The Zeon seems to be the perfect winch for my needs! Question, for a JKU, do I want an 8000 or a 10K? Ive been told by some that having a 10K when not needed is not actually an advantage. Money aside, what say you guys?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow, I was set on the CTIs but now quickly changed my mind. The Zeon seems to be the perfect winch for my needs! Question, for a JKU, do I want an 8000 or a 10K? Ive been told by some that having a 10K when not needed is not actually an advantage. Money aside, what say you guys?
I was wondering the same thing myself.

I'm thinking I want the 10K. Would 8K be enough which for a JKU?

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
I was wondering the same thing myself.

I'm thinking I want the 10K. Would 8K be enough which for a JKU?
You are supposed to "double" the weight. The JKU is not 4000lbs. MAYBE 4000 with bumpers and crap. Not sure about the guts (I'm not an expert on winches) but I believe the only difference between them is the gearing. The 10K winches are not actually more powerful.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I'm not really any help here other than to say I had been wrestling with this same question for over a month. All costs being equal I wanted the 9.5 CTI-s. I liked that is seems to be a bit more weather resistant and just plain cleaner over all.

But.....all costs are not equal and I don't think I care about line speed. Not being sure how much I'm going to use it the VR series or the M8000 seemed like the right choice. Then like already said the Zeon series is coming out in Nov....blah, blah, blah.

I've been calling around and getting prices on all 3 models and looking at Amazon everyday hoping the already good price ($1225 shipped) might get better on the CTI-s.

Then driving home from the beach with my wife I was thinking about someone I pulled out on the beach, which got me thinking about winches. I said "This is crazy, I'm thinking about winches every 10 minutes for the last month. I'm just going to buy the CTI-s and be done with it". My wife simply gave me the "Okay.....I didn't even ask look".

Came home, jumped on Amazon, "%$#@@$, the price went up overnight to $1380". So I go back to not being sure what to do again and thinking why can't I just buy the $750 winch? Another few days go by. The wife and I go down to the hunting land, driving on trails to deliver a blind and I get into a tight spot and start thinking about winches again.

While all of that is going on I discover I needed something from Teraflex completely unrelated to winches. I call Teraflex on the way home and they tell me the best chance of finding it in stock is with North Ridge. I call North Ridge, order what I needed (not in stock after all but no one has it until Nov), and ask in passing what the price is on the CTI-s and I'm told $1250 shipped. Close enough to what Amazon had it for so I ordered one.

It will be here tomorrow. My bumpers shipped today so I'm hoping that come this time next week I have the 9.5 CTI-s installed on my new front bumper and I can move on to thinking about something else!

Sorry for the small book. I can't help it. :)

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
I'm not really any help here other than to say I had been wrestling with this same question for over a month. All costs being equal I wanted the 9.5 CTI-s. I liked that is seems to be a bit more weather resistant and just plain cleaner over all.

But.....all costs are not equal and I don't think I care about line speed. Not being sure how much I'm going to use it the VR series or the M8000 seemed like the right choice. Then like already said the Zeon series is coming out in Nov....blah, blah, blah.

I've been calling around and getting prices on all 3 models and looking at Amazon everyday hoping the already good price ($1225 shipped) might get better on the CTI-s.

Then driving home from the beach with my wife I was thinking about someone I pulled out on the beach, which got me thinking about winches. I said "This is crazy, I'm thinking about winches every 10 minutes for the last month. I'm just going to buy the CTI-s and be done with it". My wife simply gave me the "Okay.....I didn't even ask look".

Came home, jumped on Amazon, "%$#@@$, the price went up overnight to $1380". So I go back to not being sure what to do again and thinking why can't I just buy the $750 winch? Another few days go by. The wife and I go down to the hunting land, driving on trails to deliver a blind and I get into a tight spot and start thinking about winches again.

While all of that is going on I discover I needed something from Teraflex completely unrelated to winches. I call Teraflex on the way home and they tell me the best chance of finding it in stock is with North Ridge. I call North Ridge, order what I needed (not in stock after all but no one has it until Nov), and ask in passing what the price is on the CTI-s and I'm told $1250 shipped. Close enough to what Amazon had it for so I ordered one.

It will be here tomorrow. My bumpers shipped today so I'm hoping that come this time next week I have the 9.5 CTI-s installed on my new front bumper and I can move on to thinking about something else!

Sorry for the small book. I can't help it. :)
Amazon price didn't jump. Amazon themselves only had 2 left in stock which they had priced at $1225ish. They sold out, and the $1380 price is not from them but from a third party seller. I heard warnfactoryoutlet.com is a great place to buy warn winches.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Amazon price didn't jump. Amazon themselves only had 2 left in stock which they had priced at $1225ish. They sold out, and the $1380 price is not from them but from a third party seller. I heard warnfactoryoutlet.com is a great place to buy warn winches.
Ahhhh, that makes sense. Well either way I wasn't seeing it on Amazon for $1225 any longer. Maybe when they get it back in stock they will have it for $1225 again. I had checked with the factory outlet and Amazon was still cheaper (at least when I checked).

In any event it's a done deal now and I can live with $1250 without any guilt.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
NFRs2000NYC said:
You are supposed to "double" the weight. The JKU is not 4000lbs. MAYBE 4000 with bumpers and crap. Not sure about the guts (I'm not an expert on winches) but I believe the only difference between them is the gearing. The 10K winches are not actually more powerful.
Mine comes in way over 5k with tools and spare fluids/parts. I have been using a M8000 on it and it has worked ok. It was great before I did the lift. I never got in a spot It wouldnt get me out of. There has been one time since the lift that it just wouldnt cut it. I had managed to to wedge my jeep in some rocks and the M8000 dint have enough balls to drag me out. Of corse it did take 3 winches to get the job done so I guess I can't blame mine for not getting the job done. Maybe one day I will put something else on the front, but not anytime soon.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts