Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I know this is a loaded gun and will vary but I"m trying to figure out where my money needs to go next. I just finished the lift, tires and got the SYE in this week. Rebuilt Trans and clutch.

So now the question is, where to go next. Axles? Lockers? Is there any point doing the lockers without first doing the axles. I eventually want to run 35s. Currently on 33s. Is there something else I should be thinking about first?

·
Administrator
12,502 Posts
Go drive it.. enjoy it..

If you have the money do axles swap, gear and lockers at same time.. will save a few bucks that way.. but if you can't don't worry about it.

·
Super Moderator
10,643 Posts
Go drive it.. enjoy it..

If you have the money do axles swap, gear and lockers at same time.. will save a few bucks that way.. but if you can't don't worry about it.
^^^ This.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Drive and enjoy.... rear end swap and rear locker, you can tackle the front later..... many do the stock front with zero issues and still manage to do some pretty goof off roading....

But if you want to do 35's... you will need gears and some stronger axle set up.... for at least the rear... or front of you moderate wheeling the rocks

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
You can limp a D35 around on 33's and proper gearing but i would not attempt it with 35's.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I'm going to be the odd duck and say this. What do you plan to do with your Jeep? That has a lot to do with "What's next"...

If you plan on offroad, a D35 can be built into a Super 35 with 30 spline 1541H shafts that is very capable of running 35's and the D30 with chromo shafts is good to go with 35's.

If your mall crawling, a very simple and cost-effective axle shaft upgrade in the D35 to 27 spline 1541H is all you'll need.

A re-gear will also be in order

You'll also need to do a major brake upgrade to run 35's on or off-road. I would recommend the Vanco Big Brake kit. https://www.shop.blackmagicbrakes.com/VANCO-15-Big-Brake-Kit-with-BMB-Pads-for-15-Rims-BBK-NDM15.htm

Steering components could also be a concern off-road with 35's

Reactions: FireFish11

·
Registered
284 Posts
Like 12b mentions above, what do you plan to do with it? If you're planning on wheeling I'll give you the same advice I was given when I started off-roading (Scouts and 1st gen Runners). "Go wheel it! Once you get as far as you can go or you break something then upgrade that part and... go wheel it!!!"

Me? I'm building a commuter/mall crawler so it's lift kit and pretty bits. :)

RichnSteph

Reactions: FireFish11

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
It certainly depends on just how far you ultimately want to go with the build. Ideally you only spend money to upgrade something once. If one day you are going to end up on 40's then maybe save up and get some one ton axles a little while down the road. If 35's are as far as it is going to go then a ford 8.8 from an explorer would be a nice option. I know @12b likes to keep his Dana 35's, but it takes some money to make one survive comfortably with 35's. The general consensus is that the 8.8 is the axle of choice there. You know... this depends a lot on your budget as well. There are lots of really new aftermarket options out there for axles as well. Currie, Dynatrac, Dana super 44's would be cool for 35's.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh its not a mall crawler. I plan on doing moderate trails, grab a few badges and just have fun. Not looking for extreme rock crawling but not gravel either. Headed to Windrock this week, Uhwarrie the weekend after that. I want to regear to a 456 eventually and probably upgrade the axles, lockers and be good with that.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Well FireFish, you must be from my neck of the woods wheeling at Windrock and Uwharrie, do you ever get to Gulches?

Yes, I know a built 35 (S35) is more than adequate to run the areas that FireFish does even with 35" tires. And honestly by the time you pay for the 8.8, brackets, pinion, locker, brake adaptation you have the same if not more invested than the price of a bolt in Super 35.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
12b Cleveland Tn here. Now looking at maybe going to Calhoun Ga to 5313 and hitting Coppinger Cove or jumping over to Prentice Cooper or AOP. IVe never been to Gulches but I will research it. I like doing moderate trails, something fun but that won't break the rig if Im reasonable. I know stuff will happen but I TRY not to push it!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I say you need a snorkel, subwoofer and some sort of angry grill. Just kidding.

Decide what your ideal Jeep is, determine your budget, then make a plan, so you do things in best order possible. By possible, I mean don't do one mod that you have to undo before you can do the next. Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts