Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a aftermarket bumper, e-autogrille from eBay or Amazon it's just like the smittybilt one's. I was thinking about adding a swing out carrier that attaches to the bumper so I don't mess up the tailgate. I have a 33" tire and would like to add a bike carrier, maybe one that goes on the tire to keep the hitch freed up. Is doing a custom mod the only way unless I buy a new bumper with a tire carrier made with it or is there any bolt ons that I can just line up and drill a couple of holes and bolt on? I would hate to buy a new bumper just for the tire carrier.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
There's quite a few options for tub mounted carriers. Besttop highrock, TNT, or-fab. They range just like you'd expect... 300-2000.

I literally just bought a besttop highrock... Only thing I found upon research was replace the painted hardware with grade 8...

Take a look around, type in tub mounted tire carriers, there's lots of posts.

Just a side not, I would be worried about mounting a carrier on that bumper, it's not meant for it and would most likely damage it in time with a single point of attachment.

I could be wrong of course.

·
Jeep Flip-Ur-Top Commercial Member
873 Posts
I bought a aftermarket bumper, e-autogrille from eBay or Amazon it's just like the smittybilt one's. I was thinking about adding a swing out carrier that attaches to the bumper so I don't mess up the tailgate. I have a 33" tire and would like to add a bike carrier, maybe one that goes on the tire to keep the hitch freed up. Is doing a custom mod the only way unless I buy a new bumper with a tire carrier made with it or is there any bolt ons that I can just line up and drill a couple of holes and bolt on? I would hate to buy a new bumper just for the tire carrier.
I installed the Bestop High Rock carrier last year. I'm pretty happy with it. It takes some trial and error to get it adjusted just right...but it will save your hinges from an early demise.

Good luck!!

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
Bumpers not designed specifically to hold a swing-out spare tire carrier aren't going to hold up. That single pivot-point places an enormous amount of leverage against where it is mounted so the bumper has to be made to withstand that. So with that I'd buy a bumper with it already integrated into it.

And there's no guarantee even that will hold up for long. The cheaper the bumper, the more likely it wasn't designed with much reserve strength. Which means it may last a year or two but if it's cheap, odds are not good it will last much longer than that. This is not something I'd recommend going cheap on.

I even saw a new Smittybilt spare tire carrier bumper on display in a 4Wheel Parts store where its swingout didn't have a single bearing in its design. Just a hollow tube supporting the spare tire which was slipped over the top of a steel post which is how it swung open. Worst/cheapest/weakest design I have ever seen.

This is what you get with a cheap poorly designed bumper with swingout spare tire carrier like this one from Smittybilt. This one fell off onto the highway after the steel and its weld that held it to the bumper failed.

Attachments

·
Registered
847 Posts
You could run an Exogate to take care of the tire issue. It would be probably easier to fab up a bicycle rack set up than to mod that cheap bumper. I have a basic SB on mine (same one Jerry linked but w/o the shackles) and it works for my use but there is no way in hell I would try to weld or bolt anything significant to it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts