Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking off all my fender flares (getting them line-x'd when I get the inside done.)
Since my flares all have the recessed pockets (my aftermarket rear ones loo lik e this Bushwacker Wrangler 4.75 In. Rear Pocket Flares 10042-07 (97-06 Wrangler TJ) - Free Shipping) one thing I'd like to do is replace the silver bolts with some black ones. I could take the bolts into the hardware store and see if they have a match, but will they typically have black ones in this style? Is there a place online I could order similar black bolts? (Not sure length but they - and the front ones - have a torx 30 head)

I thought about going with push pins as some others have recommended but I think the bolts would look better since they're exposed.

Also, when I removed the rear flares, I noticed I had some larger spacers. I didn't install the flares (previous owner did) but the spacers looked very dried out and interestingly one side had more than the other. I assume these came with the fender kit? Anyone know the exact size I need to get to replace them, and how many I'm 'supposed' to have (seemed odd with one side only having a few - left rear - and the other side having more?)

Attached pic of what I'm looking to replace in black.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Sorry, I'm of no help for black. But, I bought my pocket flares used for $100 off of CL, and it was missing most of the bolts, so I went this route. Also just pushed drywall anchors into the places where the nutserts "were". I got about halfway done yesterday evening after running all over town looking for the direct replacements, only to finally give up and compromise with these. By the way, I used 1 1/2" long for my replacements.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Honestly I would stay with the stainless bolts. You may find some steel bolts that are black, but they will rust. Paint will chip, and powdercoat fills in the Allen holes and makes them a pita to fit a Allen in. You could use the stainless and plastidip them? Just an idea.

·
Vendor
6,014 Posts
I'm taking off all my fender flares (getting them line-x'd when I get the inside done.)
Since my flares all have the recessed pockets (my aftermarket rear ones loo lik e this Bushwacker Wrangler 4.75 In. Rear Pocket Flares 10042-07 (97-06 Wrangler TJ) - Free Shipping) one thing I'd like to do is replace the silver bolts with some black ones. I could take the bolts into the hardware store and see if they have a match, but will they typically have black ones in this style? Is there a place online I could order similar black bolts? (Not sure length but they - and the front ones - have a torx 30 head)

I thought about going with push pins as some others have recommended but I think the bolts would look better since they're exposed.

Also, when I removed the rear flares, I noticed I had some larger spacers. I didn't install the flares (previous owner did) but the spacers looked very dried out and interestingly one side had more than the other. I assume these came with the fender kit? Anyone know the exact size I need to get to replace them, and how many I'm 'supposed' to have (seemed odd with one side only having a few - left rear - and the other side having more?)

Attached pic of what I'm looking to replace in black.
I hear that Lund makes a black bolt kit and I don't think you'd have any issues putting them on your Bushwacker flares. I wasn't able to find it on their website but it may be worth giving them a call. Good Luck!

-Ryan

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Honestly I would stay with the stainless bolts. You may find some steel bolts that are black, but they will rust. Paint will chip, and powdercoat fills in the Allen holes and makes them a pita to fit a Allen in. You could use the stainless and plastidip them? Just an idea.
You mean this stuff right? http://www.amazon.com/Performix-11203-Multi-Purpose-Coating-Aerosol/dp/B0006SU3QW/
That sounds like a good idea (never used it before but for the price it can't hurt to try.) If I spray it first I'm thinking the torx wrench will probably scrape it off when I go to tighten, but maybe not.

Good point about rusting though. I definitely don't want that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sorry, I'm of no help for black. But, I bought my pocket flares used for $100 off of CL, and it was missing most of the bolts, so I went this route. Also just pushed drywall anchors into the places where the nutserts "were". I got about halfway done yesterday evening after running all over town looking for the direct replacements, only to finally give up and compromise with these. By the way, I used 1 1/2" long for my replacements.
I am just painting my existing flares for now and hope to get some extended ones in the future. I have realized it is a real pain to remove all the screws with the plastic nuts on the ends that just like to spin. I was wanting tap the wholes with something like the nutserts on those few bolts that don’t require you to hold anything. The Idea of a drywall anchor did cross my mind. Something that can be tighttned snug enough to hold everthing in place but if/when I need to remove the flares again the bolts don’t just spin. Have you noticed if they would work like that?

·
Registered
910 Posts
I am just painting my existing flares for now and hope to get some extended ones in the future. I have realized it is a real pain to remove all the screws with the plastic nuts on the ends that just like to spin. I was wanting tap the wholes with something like the nutserts on those few bolts that don’t require you to hold anything. The Idea of a drywall anchor did cross my mind. Something that can be tighttned snug enough to hold everthing in place but if/when I need to remove the flares again the bolts don’t just spin. Have you noticed if they would work like that?
The drywall anchors will hold temporarily, but I'm going to change to something else. Once they start getting snug, they just spin in the tub metal. Or, maybe just wait and see how they hold up once covered in the heavy, clay type mud that we have around here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts