Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to get something for offroading and to use sporadically as a third vehicle. I've mostly narrowed it down to a first generation Tacoma or a Jeep TJ.

I have a friend with an unmodified Tacoma which I've been in and driven a lot so that is a known commodity to me, thought I haven't been offroad in one.

I'm wondering what options are available for me to drive a Jeep offroad. There is High Sierra Jeep rentals (thought it looks like they have CJs) and Farabee's once their rental season opens up again (though JKs).

Any other options in California other than those? Thanks.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Are you looking to rent a jeep or buy a jeep? Your post is confusing.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I would post in the California forum and see if someone near you would let you test drive theirs. Maybe you could ride along with someone on a trail ride.

·
Registered
280 Posts
A TJ would be a more formidable offroad vehicle then a Tacoma, shorter wheel base, better approach angles and if you get a Rubicon.....now your talking the epitome of an offroad beast.
I will say though, if you're hesitant about getting a Jeep and/or not sure your gonna like it then it's likely a Jeep is just not your thing.

·
Registered
884 Posts
What is it that you want to do with your offroad vehicle?

If overlanding or "vehicle based camping," then something like a Jeep Cherokee (XJ), Toyota Tacoma or 4Runner, or second generation Nissan Xterra would probably be a better choice than a Jeep CJ, YJ or TJ.

If your interest is running difficult trails and rockcrawling, then the open Jeeps would be a better choice.

If driving on the beach or cruising Pacific Coast Highway with the top down is your thing - jeeps again.

I think you need to better define what your goals are and then look for friends or friends of friends with the rigs that best meet these goals who might be willing to show you what they can and can't do. I don't think that you will get the answers you need from driving a rental.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am looking to rent or drive a Jeep offroad before I buy one. I've found two places I can do that, but neither have TJs.

I don't know anybody with a Jeep. So I guess the California forum is an option. Is that something people do?

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
I doubt any rental company in the U.S has a tj available to rent.

Reactions: trickydoc

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
If you rent a CJ and like it, then you will mostly likely enjoy the TJ. Similar form, but the TJ has a far better suspension and a "modern" interior. CJ/YJ/TJ's are odd vehicles, especially by today's standards. The more you can live with it, the more you will understand. There is simply nothing else better and is very little that is worse.

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
If you rent a CJ and like it, then you will mostly likely enjoy the TJ. Similar form, but the TJ has a far better suspension and a "modern" interior. CJ/YJ/TJ's are odd vehicles, especially by today's standards. The more you can live with it, the more you will understand.
There is simply nothing else better and is very little that is worse.
I'm confused. Do they mean Best Of The Worst, Or Worst Of The Best? Is there an in between? Lmao either way!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think you should go for the Tacoma. The Jeep will cost you twice what you expect. The amount you purchase it for, and then that again or more to upgrade non-stop. Once you start, there is no stopping. You've been warned. ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I suggest Googling a local Jeep/4WD club and ask to ride along on an event. Someone will be very likely to let you drive some, too.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Tough choice. Tacoma has more utility.. probably better gas mileage... more comfortable to drive as a dd.. fairly capable offroad - especially if you get the right package.

With all that said, I wouldnt trade my TJ in for anything.

The Tacoma might be more logical.. but the TJ is more of an experience.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
As a 3rd vehicle, go for the jeep!

I always loved the idea of what a Jeep is, but also never, ever thought it was the "logical" choice for a vehicle, and still don't. Not as a primary vehicle anyway. That being, I bought a used TJ 4 years ago and enjoy it tremendously for what it can do. With a trailer, it's basically a truck, minus the trailer and it's the best offroad fun vehicle I can imagine. Minus quads, but none of my friends have quads anymore. 4 years later and I'm finally getting the mod bug. Took me longer than others, but I was out of state for work for 2 years and didn't have access to the jeep. Now I'm spending money like it's going out of style, but enjoying doing so.

When it came time to get a new primary vehicle, and due to FCA buying back my lemon Renegade, I now have a JKU as a primary vehicle and don't regret it at all. It's still not a logical choice for a DD, but it was the most logical choice for my tastes, given my options at buy back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
In certain ways, the Jeep is more practical for me in a lower initial cost for a lower mile option, plus seats 4. Then I can get a trailer that is larger than a Tacoma bed for hauling things.

·
Registered
437 Posts
In certain ways, the Jeep is more practical for me in a lower initial cost for a lower mile option, plus seats 4. Then I can get a trailer that is larger than a Tacoma bed for hauling things.
Seats 4 if two are agile as chimps. Towing is very limited but encouraged. You like an adrenaline rush?

Have you done much hiking? Like days from where you can shower and buy food? If you can't carry it on your back you probably can't carry it in your Jeep. If you grocery shop in your Jeep you might lose weight. The Jeep diet.

If you think of luggage when you are "packing" to go somewhere, you should probably buy the Tacoma.

If "locking the doors" makes you think the doors are still on the Jeep and not locked in the garage, buy the Tacoma.

If you weren't joking when you said "practical", buy the Tacoma.

·
Registered
604 Posts
The Jeep will cost you twice what you expect. The amount you purchase it for, and then that again or more to upgrade non-stop. Once you start, there is no stopping. You've been warned. ;)
Truer words have never been spoken, I surpassed the purchase price of the Jeep in upgrades in less than 6 months :thumb:

Seats 4 if two are agile as chimps.
Ha, no doubt. Two months after taking my TJ home I pulled the rear ‘seats’ & yanked the seatbelt bolted to the floor because it was too bumpy to allow level seating of my tool box that now occupies the entire rear when I wheel.

I’ve never owned a less practical yet more rational vehicle in my life, for me it’s nearly a one trick pony but the best single object I own on this planet.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts