Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone on here have the or fab swing away tire carrier ? Looking for some input on it and whether you would recommend . Thanks in advance

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was looking at the or fab or the teraflex . Don't really want to change out my bumper right now .

·
Registered
722 Posts
I was seriously thinking of getting Or Fab but really didn't want to cut into my Wrangler.

I got the Teraflex instead. The Teraflex hinge and carrier are very nice. Many here will also say that.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any thoughts on the Redrock hinged carrier ? Found it at Extreme Terrain .... About 400 less than the teraflex

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've got the orfab tire carrier... The one that also carries the rotopax cans. I'm very pleased with it.

Carries spare independent of bumper, has been rock solid, no rattle, and doesn't sag. I thought it might be a pain to have to open 2 doors to get in the back but it really isn't a big deal.... The gate swings so easy that the extra step isn't a big deal (and I get in the back 3-4 times daily). It's a little work to instal (the kit actually adds structure to your tub) and yes, you got to drill some holes. Since it's been on I've never had to re-adjust.

An unexpected benefit is the ability to carry other stuff. Gas/water sure, but also axe, shovel, etc. This winter I rigged skis and snowboards between the gate and the spare which worked awesome. The tire is solid enough to hang a bike rack off it as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I now have 30K miles with a 37" GY MT/R with no rattles or issues of any kind on my Rotopax equipped ORFab carrier.

:iamhappy:

·
Registered
533 Posts
I love my Or-fab tire carrier. 20k miles on it, still rock solid. I regularly carry 35" tire, 4 gallons of gas, 2 gallons of water, recovery tools, shovel and high lift on mine. No issues. I got the jerry can version with rotopax mounting kit so I could carry either 2 five gallon steel cans, or 4 two gallon rotopax, or any combo of the two. The versatile carry options is what sold me.

It is a no-going-back move, as one of the install steps requires drilling a one-inch hole into the tub in a very visible spot... So make sure it is right for you first. Install process is an bit of a hassle, but don't let it scare you. Allow a full weekend and it helps to have an extra pair of hands available to assist.

I think the Teraflex is a great option also, some of the pros are easier install and it looks like you can uninstall with fewer consequences. Cons are not nearly the carry options.

If you decide to go the Or-fab route, I have a couple of tips that will aid install. Feel free to PM.

Good luck in your choice!

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I saw the Orfab tire carrier on a Jeep in person. I was really impressed with it. The hinge seemed pretty stout. The guy wheels his Jeep pretty hard. It's more cumbersome than the Tereflex. But after seeing on his Jeep, I'd buy it. My .02

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I have a Or-Fab Carrier with two Jerry Can holders....I love it. Yes, it sticks out a little, but it's not been a problem, I don't try to climb walls.
Installing it was a bit of work, getting inside the body panels thru the tail light holes and installing bolts and nuts and getting tools inside to drill holes and install the brackets was a challenge at times. But having done Maint. work for 30 + years I had the tools to do the job.
I suggest if you decide to buy one and install it yourself, you buy a 1" hole saw from Dewalt,( Lowes or Home Depot ) get the one with fine teeth, makes a very nice clean hole in the body panel.I sealed mine with Grey RTV, matches the paint...
I have not had any trouble with mine, solid as a rock even with the spare and two full Jeep Cans...Swings easily.... Be prepared to wait, there is a long line, unless you shop around, you may one in stock someplace....I had to wait 4 months I think....
"BH"

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've had my eye on the rotopax carrier for a long time now. Finally saw one in person a few months ago and that made me want it even more. It's being shipped to me now and I'm really excited!

Thanks for the input on installing. Look forward to more if anyone's got tips.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Finally got mine delivered today. Might attempt install tonight after work but I should probably wait till this weekend. Who am I kidding I don't have the patience to wait. :)

I'll try to post pics of the install and give the OP my thoughts of it once it's on.

·
Detail Oriented
3,174 Posts
I have one on my TJ and the Teraflex one on my JK.

The Teraflex one, after daily openings for months still is very hard to open and close. My wife bitches about it most of the time. ;-)

It is very solid and I trust it on my JK. I had no problems installing it, either. I like it a lot. It is just a stiff hinge. It has not bothered me enough to do anything about it yet.

The OR-Fab tire carrier I have on my TJ installs a bit differently than on the JK. It is excellent in just about every regard. It also opens with two fingers and locks down very securely.

Both make zero noise on the road or trail.

The TJ version of the OR-Fab one is a PITA to install but fully worth the effort. I only had to really sweat drilling two of the holes in the tub. The latch plate needs to be lined up really carefully. Like in any project, "Measure twice, cut once."

I can post photos of both if you like, but they will look just like any others you can find. (Unless you are looking for something specific. Let me know.)

Wade

·
Registered
162 Posts
Finally was able to have my carrier installed. I chickened out of doing it myself, mainly because the drilling into the body scared me. Had a local shop do it but helped out a little.

They said it would be a two hour job. We spent 5 hours on it, mostly because our hands are too big to get to the right spots through the rear lights.

For the passenger side bracket, we ended going up through the bottom of the tub, just under the light. There's a little lid covered in foam there. Removed the foam and popped out the lid to get our hands in there. Anyone know what that foam was for? Nothing like it on the rear driver side. Looked to only be there to hold that lid down. Wondering if I should replace it...?

It's on now and seems rock solid. I'm very happy. I even have a bit of a better view. Instead of the tire sidewall right above the tailgate, I now have my wheel, which I can see through the pattern (no backseat to block view either).

Attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts
Absolutely love my Or-Fab Carrier

We installed the OR-Fab with Roto-Pax Carrier on our 2015 Altitude right before our 7 day overland trip. Absolutely love it. We did kinda extended it by building an over the tire cargo carrier with 3rd break light and rear backup camera. Dont get me wrong it was a BEAR to install other than that its pretty solid and heavy duty :)

Here is some videos of it and the fab job:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLaHHdIlSNe01O5SbgLhxkxKSupcd4tCLL

Let me know if you have any questions.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts