Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, happy to say I am finally ordering my first jeep. I am undecided on Sahara vs. the Rubi though. Maybe you guys can help me out.

I figure I will put my planned mods on here, and you guys can help me out.

I plan on using the jeep on rough terrain, but also as a primary vehicle. I plan on putting the AEV premium front bumper and a wench on the front end, which will add about 200# there.

Also plan on putting on a different rear. That done, I want to do a 2.5" or 3" Suspension lift and run some 33's or 35's with new rims.

I like the Rubi, mainly for the Dana's and the sway disconnect, and the upgraded Transfer Case. However, I am new to the lifting scene.

If I am lifting it a few inches, add in some steering stabilizers and air bags in the rear suspension, is the Rubicon still the way to go, or should I just get the Sahara?

I am getting the leather, nav, auto tranny, power convenience either way.

·
Registered
327 Posts
If you plan to do some rough terrain as you stated, get the rubi because of the lockers.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that is what I'm thinking. Now all I have to do is decide on a dealer. Anyone have a suggestion for the NW Ohio area?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whelp, its ordered. Waiting to get my tracking order and all that good stuff. Anyone have an idea how long production to delivery is currently running?

White Rubicon unlimited
Automatic
Color match hardtop/fenders
430n system
leather seats (saddle interior)
Automatic Temp
Connectivity group
Remote start

Planned MODS: MOPAR chome grill,
mirrors,
gas cap,
light guards,
AEV front bumper painted to match the body color
Still looking at rears (color matched)
2.5" suspension lift *
33" or 35" tires
[FONT=&quot]gloss black/chrome “Hoss” XD wheels[/FONT]

*Any suggestions on the lift? Suspensions are a little out of my expertise.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, I am waiting to get my VIN number now. HRR1 is right. Dozer is discontinued already, along with crush. =/

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Rubicon for sure, the Sahara is supposed to be Jeep's "luxury wrangler"
What is funny is that a loaded Sahara and a loaded Rubi are exactly the same on the inside. A Rubi has ever "luxury option" offered on a Sahara.

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
Fantasy: "I'm gonna get a Rubicon because I'm gonna go off-roading every weekend, do some rock crawling, and just go mudding at every chance I get!"

Reality: I've done actual "off-roading" where I'd need (and didn't "need") a Rubicon ONCE within the past six months of owning it. :hide:

So, are you really going to be doing enough which you would need a Rubicon for, or do you just think you are?

Yes, I figured I'd be out and about whenever I got the chance but it's just the opposite. We all have specific "intentions," but do we ever really do what we "intend" to do; some of us, but probably not most of us.

No, I don't regret getting my Rubicon, despite I could have saved myself a lot of money. I've had my eye on the Rubicon for years and that's what I wanted. Admittedly, I probably would have gotten it anyway, knowing that I'd probably never really use it for its intended purpose(s).

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just picked up my '13 a couple of weeks ago. I went with the Sahara instead of the Rubicon. I really like the Rubicon I test drove, but I just looked at the features versus the extra money and I decided to go with the Sahara. I did not notice a difference on the interior really, both seemed almost identical. In all fairness though, I am taking my TJ and putting her in the garage for a few years to do a frame off restoration complete with a 302 Ford, so I thought that I would build all the extras like lockers, etc.. into my TJ.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Been here done this. Ordered my Rubicon about two weeks ago. Had the same debate on Sahara vs Rubicon. Finally decided on the Rubicon, because this is a second vehicle for fun, not a daily driver. I wanted the Rubicon axles, so I got the most Jeep I could possibly need for the weekends.

Problem here is I found this forum and am planning all sorts of unnecessary upgrades. Point being, unnecessary is all relative.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Con Artist said:
Fantasy: "I'm gonna get a Rubicon because I'm gonna go off-roading every weekend, do some rock crawling, and just go mudding at every chance I get!"

Reality: I've done actual "off-roading" where I'd need (and didn't "need") a Rubicon ONCE within the past six months of owning it. :hide:

So, are you really going to be doing enough which you would need a Rubicon for, or do you just think you are?

Yes, I figured I'd be out and about whenever I got the chance but it's just the opposite. We all have specific "intentions," but do we ever really do what we "intend" to do; some of us, but probably not most of us.

No, I don't regret getting my Rubicon, despite I could have saved myself a lot of money. I've had my eye on the Rubicon for years and that's what I wanted. Admittedly, I probably would have gotten it anyway, knowing that I'd probably never really use it for its intended purpose(s).
Good points! Also, another thing to consider is, REALISTICALLY, most of us dont have THAT many options for hardcore offroading or really technical terrain! I live semi close to the rockies and there are a couple great places relatively near by, but otherwise it's just forestry roads with lots of pot holes. You get bored of always doing the same 4x4 trails, and you'll probably find that exploring the wilderness can be just as fun as sitting off camber at the edge of a cliff. So the amount of times when a rubicon is needed are few and far between.

We tried some nasty trails in the first couple months of owning the sahara, but now mostly do forest roads as deep into the mountains as we can go. I just can't have fun when i'm constantly about to tip over or slip into a 3ft rut and take out half the underbody or start tumbling down an insanely steep cliff... It's all great AFTER surviving the trail, not so much while on it. After a lift (more flex) and bigger tires (more clearance), i'm sure i'll have more fun on the crazy trails, but those are things i would have had to do in the rubicon too. Imho, the places where you trully need lockers because nothing else can pull you through are sparse for the net majority

·
Registered
75 Posts
I plan on using the jeep on rough terrain, but also as a primary vehicle. I plan on putting the AEV premium front bumper and a wench on the front end, which will add about 200# there.
I am in the same boat as you . The way it was explained to me is that if you want to use it for a double duty vehicle and want moderate to rough terrain, start with a Rubi (for the lockers, T Case, etc.). If you want to make a hardcore off road machine, start with a Sport and replace many of the same components with beefier than Rubi parts.

Although I am more than certain a Sport would be fine for my purposes, I am getting a Rubi to make sure I don't have any regrets later.

Good luck!

·
Registered
483 Posts
i have already helped my buddy lift his 13 rubi we have even welded on the axles to relocate the track bar bracket we moved it a half inch so the fox shock wont contack it we also add ed the frount knuckel braces it has 3000 miles and the paper licens plates and it has been to the stealership 5 times

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I will use it fairly often. I work in some pretty remote areas, in all weather, supervising several crews.

80% of the time, service roads get me where I need to go. The rest of the time, I don't feel like waiting for AAA to come 3 hours, just to laugh at me and say, "Good luck."

Hence the Rubi and a wench.

I think all said and done, after discounts, it was less than 2k more. Just for the transfer case and Axles, it was worth it to me. The added security of getting myself there AND back sold me.

Its been 7 days now, should I have recieved an email by now from Jeep?

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
Good points! Also, another thing to consider is, REALISTICALLY, most of us dont have THAT many options for hardcore offroading or really technical terrain! I live semi close to the rockies and there are a couple great places relatively near by, but otherwise it's just forestry roads with lots of pot holes. You get bored of always doing the same 4x4 trails, and you'll probably find that exploring the wilderness can be just as fun as sitting off camber at the edge of a cliff. So the amount of times when a rubicon is needed are few and far between.

We tried some nasty trails in the first couple months of owning the sahara, but now mostly do forest roads as deep into the mountains as we can go. I just can't have fun when i'm constantly about to tip over or slip into a 3ft rut and take out half the underbody or start tumbling down an insanely steep cliff... It's all great AFTER surviving the trail, not so much while on it. After a lift (more flex) and bigger tires (more clearance), i'm sure i'll have more fun on the crazy trails, but those are things i would have had to do in the rubicon too. Imho, the places where you trully need lockers because nothing else can pull you through are sparse for the net majority
I'm with you there. I like to ride into the wilderness on some nice paths but to hell with all the crazy stuff. We did the Rausch Creek Green Trails and there were some areas on that I wasn't overly thrilled with being on. I prefer to have all four wheels on the ground.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I grappled with the same question Rubi vs Sahara and went with Rubi. Although I most likely will never utilize it to it's full potential being I've already owned a Sahara a few years ago I didn't want to duplicate a vehicle. I likened it to re marrying my ex wife :D been there "done" that:nonono:

My corvette was capable of doing 120mph and my Harleys aren't far behind that but that doesn't mean I'm going to do it. I guess owning a Rubicon doesn't make it mandatory to max it's off road potential some of us just like owning something we've never had before I guess.

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
I grappled with the same question Rubi vs Sahara and went with Rubi. Although I most likely will never utilize it to it's full potential being I've already owned a Sahara a few years ago I didn't want to duplicate a vehicle. I likened it to re marrying my ex wife :D been there "done" that:nonono:

My corvette was capable of doing 120mph and my Harleys aren't far behind that but that doesn't mean I'm going to do it. I guess owning a Rubicon doesn't make it mandatory to max it's off road potential some of us just like owning something we've never had before I guess.
I bought my Rubicon because I just had to have the Rubicon. I either read or watched some awesome review on it and since then, it has been the ONLY Jeep that's mattered to me in terms of ownership.

A few years ago I was out in a bad snowstorm and all I could think was, "I wish I had a Rubicon, I wish I had a Rubicon." Now, I have a Rubicon.

I will never go rock crawling. I will probably never use the lockers unless it's necessary to get out of a situation (not offroading), and I will probably rarely use the swaybar disconnect. Plain and simple, I do NOT need a Rubicon, but it's not always about what we need. If that were the case, none of us would need a vehicle that exceeded 75-80 mph.

·
Registered
291 Posts
My Sea Dweller wrist watch is rated to 4,000 ft but I've yet to chat with any Diver that's gone that deep :eek:

It's all about what you want and what you can afford. We're in the ground longer than up here so if I want it and can afford it, it's mine! I worry about whether or not I'll max out it's potential on the other side:)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts