Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, first post, strongly thinking of getting a Jeep (finally). Sorry if this might have been covered in another thread, my string of search terms wasnt finding what i was looking for.

I am thinking of getting the Willy, but I can't find the color and options I want. If I custom order will the dealer work with me on price or am I stuck paying whatever the computer spits out? I can sacrifice a bit if it saves me a couple G's up front to buy something they have on the lot.

Also do all dealers custom order, are some better than others when it comes to that?

Thanks to this forum I have several ideas already in mind so saving upfront to upgrade later would be nice.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Any dealer should be able to custom order.

Choose a dealer you are comfortable with and work with them to build out what you want. Then negotiate a price.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I've never ordered before, always have bought lot inventory so I wasnt sure of the process. Figure I should have some clue before I head in

·
Registered
81 Posts
Some places will give you great deals on ordering as it's an easy sale. Don't listen to them if they say they can't get a good order price I got 7.5% below Invoice on an order and many others get similar

Internet, truecar, and email are your friends on orders if getting a good price is more important to you than building a relationship with a specific dealer

Also go build your vehicle on jeep.com so you know exactly what the msrp is and cost of options

·
Registered
17 Posts
I factor ordered mine last year and they gave me a little grief at first but eventually gave in when they realized I wasn't going to buy anything they had on the lot. Although it might be a pain for them and they want the sale right away, I'm pretty sure the dealership actually ends up making more off a factory order. Something about manufacturer rebates for inventory on the lot.

I used Truecar as I was going to be moving soon after so I wasn't worried about a relationship.

Read the built sheet carefully though; mine tried sneaking in an option that I had never mentioned and had no interest in.

·
Registered
30 Posts
In my experience they will work a deal even if you order. My last 3 vehicles have all been ordered and if I toss down a decent down payment, they're even more willing to negotiate.

·
Premium Member
7,472 Posts
If I custom order will the dealer work with me on price or am I stuck paying whatever the computer spits out?
With the Chrysler Affiliate Rewards program, you should never have to pay more than 1% below invoice. Some people have done even better than that.

·
Registered
225 Posts
They is to tell the dealer up front that you know exactly what you want and you aren't willing to compromise. They will always want to search their trade area to see if they can find that exact vehicle (which I'm always fine with). Once you put together your order, you get to negotiate the price just like any new vehicle. Dealers don't mind ordering because it normally doesn't cost them anymore....as a matter of fact they save money because they aren't paying any interest on it while it sits on the lot. Best of luck.

·
Super Moderator
6,791 Posts
We just bought the wife a JKU Backcountry. First Jeep.
We were set to order one as we could not find one with the exact options we wanted, and spending that much money we wanted it to be right. Then we found out that ordering for the color we wanted, purple, was closed. We were getting ready to order a hypergreen one as soon as they were available. The dealers I was in contact with all were willing to order one and, while some were happier to deal on an order than others, they were all willing to deal as they knew it was the only way they could get the sale. As mentioned, they actually do fine on "special order" vehicles, but they do seem to try to make you feel like you should pay more for ordering a vehicle. But we stumbled onto one in a dealers lot that had the exact options we wanted. I offered him what I thought was less than he would sell it for, figuring I did not want to walk out with a new Jeep that day. But they accepted the offer and the wife got to drive her new Jeep home on her birthday. Funny how things work out.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
I used Truecar as I was going to be moving soon after so I wasn't worried about a relationship.
For me, in my first round of getting price quotes, Truecar was the highest. Needless to say, Truecar didn't make it to the second round.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hey all, first post, strongly thinking of getting a Jeep (finally). Sorry if this might have been covered in another thread, my string of search terms wasnt finding what i was looking for.

I am thinking of getting the Willy, but I can't find the color and options I want. If I custom order will the dealer work with me on price or am I stuck paying whatever the computer spits out? I can sacrifice a bit if it saves me a couple G's up front to buy something they have on the lot.

Also do all dealers custom order, are some better than others when it comes to that?

Thanks to this forum I have several ideas already in mind so saving upfront to upgrade later would be nice.

Thanks!
You can and should get 5% below invoice. You can build a jeep on NADA Guides WindowLink | New and Used Vehicle Data for Sale and see the invoice pricing.

I would call the internet sales person at the dealer and tell them you want to order a Jeep at 5% below invoice. Tell them you know exactly what you want and you have your credit card ready for the deposit.

Don't go to the dealer. Do a phone deal. Remind them you will be servicing your Jeep at their dealer.

They make money off this deal. They might say no at first but they will get back to you in a day or two to make the deal.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
With the Chrysler Affiliate Rewards program, you should never have to pay more than 1% below invoice. Some people have done even better than that.
Good point. Its a really good choice if you are uncomfortable with hard haggling.

·
Registered
17 Posts
For me, in my first round of getting price quotes, Truecar was the highest. Needless to say, Truecar didn't make it to the second round.
I guess it varies. My brother-in-law's dad works for a Jeep dealership (out of state so I couldn't realistically buy from him) and he provided me with a Buyer's Order for the best possible price he could give. He told me there was no incentive for him to give me anything but the cheapest since he knew I wasn't going to buy from him anyway. He just wanted me to have the official Buyer's Order so I could use it to negotiate at the dealerships near me. Truecar came in just above his quote actually so I just went with Truecar to avoid the hassle of negotiating.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the feedback, the NADA website was very useful. Hopefully the Boss gets on board is ok with me trading the truck in.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Speaking of trade-ins, I just sold 2 cars through USAA's car buying service (they use True-Car) and got over a thousand more than the highest trade in I could have gotten (over highest Kelly Bluebook), plus it eliminates bargaining with a dealer on two fronts. Got the offers and cash all within 48 hours.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I just ordered yesterday and was well below invoice. Also take advantage of other incentives from jeep (military cash, trailready discounts, etc).

My car stickered at almost exactly 42 and I am paying 38 including the "doc fees, title, plate, etc), so I'm really at about 37,500. Not sure how much being a friend of the owners son factored it, I know it must have as this was a no haggle thing.

Mike

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've always ordered my vehicles and never bought off the lot. It's just too easy to do a build online and get exactly what you want and know exactly what MSRP is to then calculate your intended price target.

Most recently (Jan.), I purchased a new JKUWW. I emailed about 30 dealers within a couple hour radius. First I called and asked for the name of the internet manager and an email address. Then I emailed all 30 (separately), gave them the exact build I was looking for with all the package numbers to avoid confusion, listed my available incentives, and told them I was willing to travel to get the best deal. I never stepped into the dealer showroom until I picked up the vehicle and actually never even spoke on the phone until a couple days before pickup.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Ordered my 2016 tank Willys in September from a dealer in Houston and paid 5.5% below invoice. One phone call, didn't go in to dealer and got it exactly like I wanted it. Easiest thing I ever did. The internet salesman at the dealers will give the same deal to everybody.

·
Registered
14 Posts
We got ours a few weeks ago. True car was lower than chrysler affiliate price. same price for factory order or off lot.

·
Super Moderator
6,791 Posts
We got ours a few weeks ago. True car was lower than chrysler affiliate price. same price for factory order or off lot.
I am under the impression that the Chrysler Affiliate discount can be added to whatever price you agree to with a dealer. That is to say, it is a rebate from Chrysler to the dealer, and that rebate can lower the price of your vehicle. It is not limited to being 1% below dealer invoice or whatever yours is.
That is what I was told by our dealer when we bought ours, it was a $750 (roughly) rebate to the dealer that helped the dealer get to a price that we would agree to.
TrueCar was lower than the Chrysler Affiliate price, but I did not get ours from a TrueCar dealer. The dealer that had the Jeep we wanted was not a TrueCar dealer, but I did use the TrueCar price against him and held him to that price standard. In the end we got ours for less than the TrueCar price for our area. That was in part probably due to folding in the Chrysler Affiliate rebate.
Disclaimer, I am not a dealer and am only going off what the dealer said. I don't trust dealers, but I figure if he says he can drop the price due to the CA Rebate I assume he ain't lying.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts