Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I purchased a set of the original morimoto sealed 7 headlights and have been running them for the past 3 years. Overall they have been great headlights but, they have been discontinued in favor of LED based systems. The HID systems are great but are somewhat complex. I have had problems with the ballast on the passenger side and also a problem with the control harness. Retrofit source quickly replaced both of those on a warranty claim. I can only speak highly of the retrofit source as they have been great customer service wise.

The component I am now having a problem with is the headlight housings. The outer lens that covers the projector is becoming cloudy and is flaking off a layer of what appears to be a UV protectant over the polycarbonate lens. This is leading to oxidation of the lens making it cloudy and nasty looking in general. I called the retrofit source and they informed me that the sealed 7 HID was discontinued and they no longer had new lenses.

This left me in the position where I could either choose to scrap my $1000 dollar HID setup in favor of a new LED based system which, admittedly by their staff, wouldn't have the lumen output of the 50w HID I am running now. Or I could try to salvage new lenses from a different 7" headlight or source some on the internet.

Tom at HIDprojectors did have new polycarb lenses for their housings which are not the same as the morimoto housing but, he said they have modified their lenses to fit the morimoto before. There must have been another customer with a similar situation as mine. He said they are slightly larger but can be made to fit with minimal effort using a dremel tool.

I am starting this post to make others aware of this and hopefully anyone else with original HID sealed 7 can read this and then be able to find the lenses. I will make another post of a before and after along with the steps I went through for installation. I also thought I would take the opportunity to install a new set of Osram CBI lamps. The original CBI lamps I have now are still working but, have 3 years of age on them. If I have to take the housings out anyway, might as well change them.

Update coming when I get some downtime from work. Probably be a week or a little longer.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have seen kits around for when polycarb lenses get cloudy. They polish them back to get rid of the erosion & and scratches, then the good ones have a clear coat to reseal them, so they should be good for another few years. (Cheap ones just polish them & then the bare polycarb can relatively quickly be affected by UV from the sun again.)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts