Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me if this is the original opda on my 06 tj. I bought it in March and 66k on odometer and I'm going to change out if it's the original.

image-3212749425.jpg

image-1589852146.jpg

·
Registered
298 Posts
Yes sir, that is a stocker. Whether original - who knows - but you should replace it (i went w/ crown others use others makes) - re use the stock sensor.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes sir, that is a stocker. Whether original - who knows - but you should replace it (i went w/ crown others use others makes) - re use the stock sensor.
Thank you- yep planning on going with crown and have read about use stock sensor.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I would love to see pict of the gear wear on that OPDA when you pull it. I yanked mine at ~26k and it had obvious wear. The cam shaft gear it mated to was more difficult to inspect, but if you use a flash you should be able to get a picture of that as well.

I have been hesitant to pull my replacement for inspection - its not difficult, but.....

TIA

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would love to see pict of the gear wear on that OPDA when you pull it. I yanked mine at ~26k and it had obvious wear. The cam shaft gear it mated to was more difficult to inspect, but if you use a flash you should be able to get a picture of that as well. I have been hesitant to pull my replacement for inspection - its not difficult, but..... TIA
I can do that. I'm going to order one next week so I'll post some pic's after I get it done.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
You just don't know how long the stocker will last. My sensor failed at 115K and the OPDA was a little tight when turning it, but no damage to gears. Others have failed at very low mileage.

I've got about 50K on my Dorman, last time I pulled it to check for wear, it looked good.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pictures as promised changed out with 67000 miles to the crown unit and use the old sensor. Gear looked ok but shaft bearing showed some wear.

image-1511768542.jpg

image-568480222.jpg

image-1121946451.jpg

image-2613317669.jpg

·
Registered
591 Posts
swap it. Cheap insurance. My 06 ODPA started howling the day before a run. Easy swap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts