Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the recent jeep I bought has a custom Poison Spyder roll cage, which I'm quite fond of. Also installed are mastercraft seats with 5-point harnesses all around, which I also like.

However, this morning I gave a friend a ride that was a bit heavier-set. She couldn't fit into the 5-point harness, the straps just weren't long enough. I felt absolutely awful. Needless to say, I'm looking to put the original seatbelts back in. I found this little bung sold by Poison Spyder to do just that. However, at $10 per side plus shipping, and the fact that I don't have access to a welder, I'm wondering if it'd be just as safe to drill through the roll cage and just bolt the original seatbelts in. Thoughts?

My idea is to keep the 5-points attached, and bolt both the original belt and the 5-point to the same bolt in the floor bolts.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought of this as well... Maybe it's time I learned to weld.

But my original thinking is the strength will be retained if I drill the hole just big enough to fit the bolt, use a lock-washer and don't torque it down too far. Just tight enough to get the lock washer to full compress and hold it there. Hmmm...

·
Registered
523 Posts
Id weld it in or take it somewhere they shouldn't charge much it'll take 2secs and I wouldn't put the 5poimts to the floor it'll mess up your spine they have to have a special bar

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the 5-points are attached as follows (from driver's side perspective):

Left lap belt (with latch): bolted to original seatbelt reel mechanism bolt (sidewall)
Right lap belt: bolted to original seatbelt latch location (floor)
Submarine belt: bolted through floor to rear of floor pan
Left and right shoulder belts: harnessed to a bar that's welded from one side of the roll cage to the other behind the front seats.

Is this all correct? It seems pretty solid to me.

Ok, I think I'm going to buy the seatbelt bungs and have them welded in. So my second question is do you think it'd be safe enough to double-up the belts onto the original bolt locations? My thought is the stress would be the same on each bolt in the case of an accident, regardless of if it was a single harness bolted in, or two.

·
Registered
523 Posts
groovetrain said:
Is this all correct? It seems pretty solid to me.

Ok, I think I'm going to buy the seatbelt bungs and have them welded in. So my second question is do you think it'd be safe enough to double-up the belts onto the original bolt locations? My thought is the stress would be the same on each bolt in the case of an accident, regardless of if it was a single harness bolted in, or two.
Yes the 5 points need yo be mounted with the bar going across the back and when you say double them up im guessing the ones fir the lap belt if so then I don't see why not

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, that's just what I mean, the original bolt locations for the original seatbelt are now used by the lap belt for the 5-pt. So I was just going to attach both the lap belt and the original seatbelt into the floor using the same bolt.

I don't know what the PO was thinking with these harnesses. If they have different sizes, I think he got the short ones.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes, good advice. I'll snap some pics when I get it done. Still gotta order those bungs. Would someone mind getting me the measurements for the stock location of upper seatbelt bolt? I want to know how far it is from the top of the wheel-well, or the floor I guess... Thanks!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got the seatbelt bungs in the mail today. Any chance someone (nudge nicks) could give me a measurement AND a picture (so I can get stock angle)? Pleeeease?

Thanks!

·
Registered
185 Posts
I had the same issue when I bought my YJ I am a big guy, I have been lifting weights all of my adult life. The guy I bought the jeep from was thin and cut the five point harness in both seats to fit him and his wife. I did not want the hassle of a five point harness for the passenger seat for pretty much the reasons you have. My solution was a set of belts from PRP. They make a four point belt that buckles and adjusts like a standard lap and shoulder belt. My wife loves it. PRP will customize the lenght for you.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I forgot I also have a Poison Spyder Roll cage

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had the same issue when I bought my YJ I am a big guy, I have been lifting weights all of my adult life. The guy I bought the jeep from was thin and cut the five point harness in both seats to fit him and his wife. I did not want the hassle of a five point harness for the passenger seat for pretty much the reasons you have. My solution was a set of belts from PRP. They make a four point belt that buckles and adjusts like a standard lap and shoulder belt. My wife loves it. PRP will customize the lenght for you.
Boy that sounds awesome. Got a link? The only issue is money. I've already got the original seatbelts, so I'm thinking I'll just put them in and maybe look into the PRP belts as a permanent solution to having two sets of seatbelts someday. Thanks for this, I think it will help down the road.

·
Registered
185 Posts
PRPseats.com If you still have trouble PM me with contact info and will have them contact you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts