Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Detail Oriented
3,174 Posts
I still have my VHS tape from 2003. But I no longer own a player. Thanks!

·
Registered
591 Posts
And tow mounts bolted straight to the bumper in factory video!

I've read here not to bolt to the bumper, but the I pulled a TJ up and over a mountain trail attached to just one of those mounts w/ a tow strap, and the bumper didn't budge (and it was already bent in the middle from hitting a pole). Two months after that, I bolted up flat tow brackets to my front bumper in the same location, forum be damned. Sorta nice though knowing it's factory approved!

·
Detail Oriented
3,174 Posts
I do not get what you are talking about. The factory tow hooks in the video bolt directly to the frame rails, which is where everyone here says to bolt tow hooks. They are not bolted to the paper thin stock bumper at all. The stock tow hooks actually hold the stock bumper to the jeep.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I think he's confused because the factory tow hook bolts pass through the top of the bumper and bolt to the frame.

·
Detail Oriented
3,174 Posts
I think he's confused because the factory tow hook bolts pass through the top of the bumper and bolt to the frame.
Yeah, I would agree that "confused" is the correct word, in this case. Easy mistake.

I remember a guy towing from his stock bumper, folding it in half and tweaking his frame in the process. Not good!

The stock tow hooks are pretty useful, but I prefer closed loops like a stout D ring through a solid clevis point that goes through the entire box tube and is welded on both sides. (I have one of Zach's first AtoZ Fab bumpers and have been yanked free via those two points many times in the past with zero damage to the bumper, frame ends, or clevis points.)

·
Registered
591 Posts
Not confused. Go to 34:40.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Not confused. Go to 34:40.
Sorry, I thought you were talking about tow hooks. Reread your post and looked at your reference above and was surprised to see what is there. That bumper seems pretty flimsy for a tow bar, but I guess it's ok since it doesn't see anywhere near the load a tow hook might see. I've seen RVs pulling a lot of different small cars by the front bumper so I assume that's pretty common practice.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
We got our '98 new and didn't get a DVD, man I feel gypped!
Same here, original owner of my 1998 and I didn't get a video as well.

·
Detail Oriented
3,174 Posts
I thought you were talking about tow hooks, too. It was the missing word "bar" that threw me. I did not really know what you meant by "tow mount" and assumed that you meant "tow hook" and not "tow bar". It's all good. ;-)

·
Registered
232 Posts
^^^ Wow -- 49 minute video!!! Thx for posting!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts