Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RUBICON..
Other than tire size, I know about that this question is where will I benifit with the 4.10's over the 3.73's OFFROAD?
How much better are the 4.10s over the 3.73 if any, is it just a matter of getting the wheels spinning quicker than te 3.73's?
In a Rubicon..

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
Lower gears are always better offroad. Dont forget you have at least 4 higher forward gears that you can shift into if you need wheel speed.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea, I understand about the high gear but if I'm crawling real slow or moderatly slow how much better is the 4.10 over the 3.73?
How much benifit is there?
Again, not talking about tires but in stock form.

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
More difference than you would think - especially with the Rubicon 4:1 Transfercase.

You can literally "crawl" the gears Offroad. Drop into 4LO, 1st gear and lock the axles. Take your foot off the gas. The Jeep will crawl itself - even up a moderate incline and over some pretty big rocks. It also allows you to downshift and ride the gears down moderate hills - instead of riding the brakes. But you need to be properly geared for tire size. You can't crawl 37s on 4.10, but you can crawl stock size tires.

·
Super Moderator
22,012 Posts
slow and control gets it done in a lot of off road situations. On the highway I found even with stock tires the 4.10 puts you in the sweet zone for passing. These new 3.6L like to rev so while some people don't like the higher rpms I do. Less hunting to be in proper gear with automatic as well in hilly driving at say 65-75mph.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When crawling then the 4.10's bring you down that much huh?

The 3.73's don't do that?

·
Super Moderator
22,012 Posts
When crawling then the 4.10's bring you down that much huh?

The 3.73's don't do that?
There is not a huge difference. If given a choice get 4.10's if you already have 3.73's I would no loose sleep over it.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
yea, I understand about the high gear but if I'm crawling real slow or moderatly slow how much better is the 4.10 over the 3.73?
How much benifit is there?
Again, not talking about tires but in stock form.
9.9%

Seriously.

Your crawl speed will be 9.9% slower. Your RPM's will be 9.9% higher at any given speed in any given gear. Gear ratios are not a tough concept to understand if you take the time to look at how they work, what they do, and what the numbers actually mean.

Get the 4.10's. You'll only benefit.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
If you have a stick shift, the difference will be hardly stalling it going over big rocks vs stalling it all the time.
With an automatic trans, I think you will see/feel it less.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you plan for bigger tires than stock? If so, get the 4.10's. If you plan to keep stock sized tires, save your money.
Plan on getting maybe 33's but no more.
The thought was in stock form when going up or down hill is it enough difference to make a difference and is there a time when it's really needed.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Nope. Makes the most difference on highway cruise and around-town driving. 3.73's are fine for up to 33's.

Look at the this chart. Big difference from 08-11 to 2012+ jeeps highway RPM with the newer 5 speed auto.

Jeep Wrangler JK Gear Ratios

Only a 220 rpm difference between 3.73 and 4.10 on the highway. 3.73's and 33" are still in the green zone.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Umm, thanks for laughing guys..
I had a back surgery and Am unable to recover properly but am trying hard to so I'm happy to be able to even get in my Rubicon.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
RUBICON..
Other than tire size, I know about that this question is where will I benifit with the 4.10's over the 3.73's OFFROAD?
How much better are the 4.10s over the 3.73 if any, is it just a matter of getting the wheels spinning quicker than te 3.73's?
In a Rubicon..
The difference btw 3.73 and 4.10 is not worth the $$ it would take to upgrade, unless you're gonna go big on tires, live in the mountains, and plan to tow a lot. In which case you'd probably be better off looking at 4.56 or so. Trust me.

More difference than you would think - especially with the Rubicon 4:1 Transfercase.

You can literally "crawl" the gears Offroad. Drop into 4LO, 1st gear and lock the axles. Take your foot off the gas. The Jeep will crawl itself - even up a moderate incline and over some pretty big rocks. It also allows you to downshift and ride the gears down moderate hills - instead of riding the brakes. But you need to be properly geared for tire size. You can't crawl 37s on 4.10, but you can crawl stock size tires.
This is a great explanation, but I'm not sure it applies to your case. If it does, then, by all means, heed it.

There is not a huge difference. If given a choice get 4.10's if you already have 3.73's I would no loose sleep over it.
^boom.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts