Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an ARB twin compressor which will be mounted under the hood as well as some OTRATTW switches. I thought about a SPOD but I've done my own wiring already. I only have a small 17" light bar on my front bumper and a couple LED lights mounted in my rear bumper. Those are wired into relays. I'm replacing their switches as well and I bought one of those pillar switch holders that holds four switches. I'm going to wire up some rock lights too. My winch and ARB fridge are wired directly to my Genesis dual battery setup.

Anyways, I'm looking at the instructions for the OTRATTW switches and all of the wiring and instructions that go with my ARB twin compressor. I'm just looking at it all like, WTF? First, the switch. Below is an image of the instructions I have. I think I understand. I just want to be sure. #7 and #8 could be wired together and then connected to the same ground, correct? I could even connect them to the grounds (#7s and #8s) from the other switches and then connect them all to the same ground, right? I'm trying to minimize the snarl of wires that will be behind the switches. I may even solder everything together and use shrink wrap to make it neater. #3 is pretty obvious that it will go to the relay. Now, I figure I have a couple of options for #2 and #6. I already have an accessory wire running up to my driver's side pillar and have three switches there already. They're small push button switches. I'd like to have these routed to accessory power as well since I want to make sure nobody can turn my lights or compressor on when I have my doors and top off. Can I wire #2 and #6 both to accessory power? I realize that the lights would not dim and would be on any time the Jeep was on. Or, I could just run #2 to accessory and then track down the dimmer wire and splice into that, right? Are the OTRATTW switches really bright at night? Bright enough to need a dimmer?

Now the compressor. WTF? From the looks of it, I only need the black and purple wires. Does the compressor have a relay built into it? It doesn't show one in the wiring diagrams. It comes set up to wire in the solenoids for air lockers. I have a Rubicon and don't need that. I'm just using this for airing up tires. One switch. It has another wiring harness that plugs in with nice thick wires that goes right to the battery with an in line fuse. That's nice and easy. That leads me to believe that the compressor must have some sort of relay built in. Correct?

If I'm wrong about anything, please let me know! I think I have it right but want to be sure! Thanks for any input!

Here's the instructions with the switch.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Yes. Purple to the switch and you should be good.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. Purple to the switch and you should be good.
What about the black wire that is next to the purple wire? Do I need to ground that anywhere? Can I just tie it in to the other grounds?

·
Registered
328 Posts
I ran mine into a spod so it was a little different but yes, I'd tie the black to the ground connection on the back of your switch. You cab fab up jumpers to 7-8 and link them all together.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ran mine into a spod so it was a little different but yes, I'd tie the black to the ground connection on the back of your switch. You cab fab up jumpers to 7-8 and link them all together.
Awesome! Thanks for the info! I think I'll go ahead and install all four switches into the panel. Then wire all of the grounds together, the accessory power wires together, and the dimmer wires together so that I can just have one connection each for those. Then, I'll have to run a wire to each relay from the switches I guess. I also did some research and found out that the ARB twin compressor does indeed have a relay. Two relays in fact.

·
Registered
328 Posts
The way you are going to do it is how I've seen it done. I've not done it yet, but it's going to get done in the next few weeks. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts