Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

My Wrangler story has just began... we bought a used 2016 JKU Rubicon. As I type and a hundred thoughts compile at once, allow me to apologize for the long post and any frustrating grammar.

After much debate and analysis, Wifey and I decided we are going after a Wrangler Unlimited. She gets the putt putt around town and I have a weekend toy (How many thousands of Jeeps started off this way, lol).

I should probably share that years back I spent a shit ton on building a track car. No really, and I'll probably never do anything that intensive on a vehicle again. Famous Last Words...
We crunched the numbers on new, used, base model, and rubicon... which one maximizes our limited dollars? Agreed we'd start with a Rubicon because I may or may not be able to do all the suspension stuff I dream of. Thinking the Rubicon model is more capable than the drivers right now anyway.

The choices got narrowed down... we tried overpaying twice, but the Boulder Dealership were condescending to wifey... and that deal died instantly. Afterwards, we scoped five we would be 'satisfied' owning. The next day I started calling dealers... I wasn't as interested in the Jeep as I was in the person trying to sell me, I'm strange. We tried for a color. Red, Orange, Copper or Blue. We both love the blue, so we said F it! Let's get a blue one regardless, we'll make it ours. So, next day I called Kansas to inquire about the vehicle and they weren't interested in being excited, so I called the next one on my list. Blue was officially over! To my surprise, folks acted way to cool for my tastes. So, I moved on. Ain't got no time for tough guys. Finally, got a hold of someone with a personality. Now, as nice as he was, he didn't disclose much. But, we agreed on a deal none the less. now we're off to Nebraska...

Moving along, we finally see the Jeep in person... and its not what we thought. In my life experience, sometimes I step in shit, usually where I learn the most. So, we bought it regardless. I can get all specific about things yet, I think everyone who owns a Wrangler knows for all its shortcomings, there is just something special about driving a wrangler. Those 500 miles back home were so damn fun... and uncomfortable, lol.

Okay... well, I'm not sure what we've got here. The person who owned this Jeep originally appears to have had a plan in mind during his/her modifications. Quickly to add, this Jeep came out of Toledo to Colorado. Was sold on August 3rd, 2016. Owner had it 3 years 5 months. All in Colorado. Jeep sold at Denver auction headed for Nebraska. I've brought her back to Colorado where she belongs ;) Wonder if the OG owner still drives a Jeep?

2016 w/28k miles.
Aftermarket bumpers.
Smittybuilt winch.
metal fenders.
metal wheel well inserts.
engine bay mounted air compressor.
CB.
recovery tools - hi lift, axe, shovel.
fire extinguisher.
LED interior lighting, headlight, and rear taillights.
and a roll bar?
We knew of the bumpers, winch, fenders, and recovery tools... this roll bar, a shocker.

The project begins... we recklessly purchased our first mod before securing the vehicle... headlights.
My rough plan is to get a metal cloak lift/shocks and put 35's on. Drive the shit out of it.

Pictures:

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
Yeah the roll bar is a little much. It does seem to appear to allow you to fold down the windshield a little faster though. The stock roll bar connects to the windshield at the top which makes it an additional pain in the ass to fold it down.

If I'm seeing this right, your modded roll bar does not connect at the top.

Aside from that it looks pretty good.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Faster as in functional to put the window down ya think? Definitely not connected to the vehicle at the top, just along the roofline, set back distance of the visors. Tops coming off for a quick trail ride now...

·
Registered
753 Posts
At least you got an excellent color! Someone put a lot of money into that jeep and if it was done right should be an excellent vehicle for you and yours. Not a big fan of that style of rollbar but hey it essentaly cost you nothing. Spend time and really get to know it before venturing into real tough trails. Make sure every piece of modded equipment works properly especially the winch and lockers if so equipped. I also recommend replacing that fire extinguisher with something like a H3R Performance HGn1000 C. God forbid you ever have to use you can thank me because it will put out a fire without causing all sorts of other damage. My insurance company highly recommends using the Halon type to prevent unnecessary damage. Sometimes the dry chemical type cause more damage then the actually fire.

Best of luck with your new toy..... (y)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ran through Central City and Idaho Springs quickly... played with some of the features. So far so good. Fun Stuff!

cthusker - Thank you for the extinguisher insight.

Now I'll seek out my suspension options...

Thanks everyone!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts