Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first part of the trail was scenic. We easily made our way over Hurrah Pass and down to the sign that said Chicken Corner on one line and Lockhard Basin on the second line. The sign was covered with stickers but I was pretty sure it was showing Chicken Corners to the right. When we took the right, our car GPS showed that we were off of the path.so we turned around and went further down Lockhard Basin. Because I am a novice, I thought I was still on Chicken Corners.

We got to a spot where you could go straight (into a dead-end), right (up a hill), or left up to some steps. We went right (up the hill) but the GPS showed us off the path again so we turned around (again). We went left but decided that the steps were too hard for a beginner to do solo...

Lessons: Don't use a car GPS for doing trails. I have subscriptions for Gaia and All Trails. I am ordering a JK E-Dock with some clamps so that I can mount our phones and tablet. That will make it easier to use the apps instead of the GPS.

I was pretty sad when we had to turn around because the trail got too hard. At that point, I thought I was still on Chick Corners and thought that we failed to complete it. I felt better once I figured out that I was lost and not a 4X4 failure on what was billed as an easy trail.... LOL

In the end, it was a great adventure and we are looking forward to doing Dome Plateau on Friday.

-B

·
Super Moderator
6,804 Posts
The first part of the trail was scenic. We easily made our way over Hurrah Pass and down to the sign that said Chicken Corner on one line and Lockhard Basin on the second line. The sign was covered with stickers but I was pretty sure it was showing Chicken Corners to the right. When we took the right, our car GPS showed that we were off of the path.so we turned around and went further down Lockhard Basin. Because I am a novice, I thought I was still on Chicken Corners.

We got to a spot where you could go straight (into a dead-end), right (up a hill), or left up to some steps. We went right (up the hill) but the GPS showed us off the path again so we turned around (again). We went left but decided that the steps were too hard for a beginner to do solo...

Lessons: Don't use a car GPS for doing trails. I have subscriptions for Gaia and All Trails. I am ordering a JK E-Dock with some clamps so that I can mount our phones and tablet. That will make it easier to use the apps instead of the GPS.

I was pretty sad when we had to turn around because the trail got too hard. At that point, I thought I was still on Chick Corners and thought that we failed to complete it. I felt better once I figured out that I was lost and not a 4X4 failure on what was billed as an easy trail.... LOL

In the end, it was a great adventure and we are looking forward to doing Dome Plateau on Friday.

-B
Glad you are having run. I highly recommend the Funtreks book on Moab by Charles Wells. They likely sell it in town. They also sell an electronic format that you can load onto a GPS.
The book has excellent directions along with coordinates that allow you to point to point things as a back up to the directions.
Dome Plateau is a great trail.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glad you are having run. I highly recommend the Funtreks book on Moab by Charles Wells. They likely sell it in town.
I saw the book, if we were going to be here longer, I would buy it.
We live full time in a motorhome and spend 7 months of the year in FL. Next year we are going to Oregon for the summer. The year after that, we will likely come back here... when I do I will surely buy the book.
Thanks!
-B

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
If you turned left at the Lockhart/Chicken Corners intersection, you went the wrong way and would soon be on some very rough trail. Never follow a regular vehicle GPS while on backcountry trails. You may end up in deep trouble. Several years ago, we received a 911 call from a guy who was lost. The coordinates put him in the area of Rose Garden Hill. I was the first on scene. About a mile out, I came across a bumper in the trail. A little farther on, there was a fender...then a grill...then a hood. When I arrived at the guy's location, I discovered a small 2WD sub-compact car that was missing a lot of parts. All forward gears were gone and it would only travel in reverse. When I asked why he was in that location, he said he was trying to get to Grand Junction, CO., and "the lady in the GPS told me to go this way."

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you turned left at the Lockhart/Chicken Corners intersection, you went the wrong way and would soon be on some very rough trail. Never follow a regular vehicle GPS while on backcountry trails. You may end up in deep trouble. Several years ago, we received a 911 call from a guy who was lost. The coordinates put him in the area of Rose Garden Hill. I was the first on scene. About a mile out, I came across a bumper in the trail. A little farther on, there was a fender...then a grill...then a hood. When I arrived at the guy's location, I discovered a small 2WD sub-compact car that was missing a lot of parts. All forward gears were gone and it would only travel in reverse. When I asked why he was in that location, he said he was trying to get to Grand Junction, CO., and "the lady in the GPS told me to go this way."
Great story. I might have stopped when I lost the fender.... LOL
Yes, not using the GPS was a good lesson. I'll have to learn how to download GPS routes so that I can load them in my GPS. There are some good videos on the subject.
-B

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,871 Posts
In the mountains of the San Juans there is no signal for vehicle GPS or phone GPS. GAIA all the way. I preloaded trails I have not done before so I have the waypoints and camping spots listed from trailsoffroad.com. Best $25 I've ever spent.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Gaia and Avenza are both great apps for backcountry navigating. Personally, I use Avenza on an iPad Mini on which I have every USGS 1:24K topo map and orthophoto map for a huge area in southeast Utah and southwest Colorado...along with just about every 4WD, mountain biking and hiking trail in Grand County (Moab). I'm also in the process of loading the same coverage in maps, satellite images, and trails onto Garmin's new Montana 700i...a combination large-screen GPS/inReach device. I've been teaching navigation and GPS use for nearly 30 years and so far, I'm extremely impressed with Garmin's newest offering.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts