Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Plan:I am trying to plan a trip to Ouray this summer, maybe mid-July. There is one trail in particular that I have to run while I'm out which is Imogene Pass. Another that is on my list that I would love to do but will most likely pass on this trip is Black Bear. I'm looking at spending 2 days running trails, either Friday-Saturday or Saturday-Sunday. I would like to run as many trails out in the area, doesn't have to be just Ouray and Telluride, because I am planning on camping during this trip. I will be taking my wife and our blue heeler along.

Background: I am fairly new in the off-road world so I'm not looking to run PoughKeepsie Gulch (this time), but I am however looking for a good time wheeling and testing the limits of my Jeep. I have wheeled a few times at Tuttle Creek ORV in Randolf KS and a few in pastures here in central Nebraska.

Jeep: My jeep is currently a stock 2 door sport. By the time I venture out to Colorado I am hoping to have my RK 2.5 flex system on, and 35s (probably not a winch). So keep in mind that I may or may not have my lift and 35s.

I need recommendations I need suggestions from you wonderful folks out in Colorado to help me pick out additional trails and make it a fun trip.

·
Registered
771 Posts
The other popular trails in Ouray are Engineer and Cinnamon pass, Alpine Loop. There's scenery and history on that loop. Another good one is Corkscrew gulch, very scenic as well. Yankee Boy Basin intersects with Imogene Pass. All of these are rated mild, 2-5 on traildamage.com.

Ouray is our, me and Colo-TJ, favorite. We hope to make a trip July 16-18 to get our full size Jeep out there. Perhaps we can meet up?

·
Registered
805 Posts
We are going down for 5 days with my father in-law who's and older jeeper and lived in Ouray and Ridgeway for many years we'll be down there doing most of the trails listed above July 23-27th.

·
Registered
578 Posts
The alpine loop is cool but it is so much more crowded than the other trails because it is so easy.

Imogene is a favorite and Black Bear is epic, you can't miss it. The trail isn't hard just intimidating.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey fellow Nebraskan, We will be making our third trip out to Ouray July 4 - 11. I agree with all of the above posts. Black Bear is in fact epic. Corkscrew, Ophir and a trip to Lake Emma are also some great trails. Make sure you read about the history of Lake Emma, very interesting. You cant go wrong with any of the trails around there. Just be careful some of the harder trails will REQUIRE a winch esp. if stock and no lockers ie: PoughKeepsie Gulch

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I love that area. If you don't already have a copy, I suggest that you pick up a copy of "Guide to Colorado Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails by Charles A. Wells, (ISBN 0-9664976-6-X). It has great maps and directions to trail heads. I see it's on sale right now at: http://www.funtreks.com/index.php?Itemid=31&option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_product_id=3

If your taking hwy 285 to 50 to get down there, it can be a fun trip to go through Lake City and take the side diversion to the ghost town of Carson (Wager Gulch) and then take Cinnamon Pass to Cailfornia Gulch, which brings you right into the ghost town of Animas Forks and from there head into Ouray on the California Gulch/Corkscrew Gulch trails which give you a chance to see Lake Como before heading over Hurricane Pass to 550.
(I recommend avoiding Engineer Pass between Lake City and Animas Forks as I find it to be an extremely long boring road in that section.)
The second day, I'd take Black Bear (or the easier Ophir Pass) to Telluride and then come back to Ouray via Imogene Pass with maybe a side trip to Yankee Boy Basin if time permits.

If you have enough time on your trip, another really fun way to get down to that area is to start in Aspen and head over Pearl Pass down to Crested Butte/ Gunnison before dropping down to Lake City, but that adds an extra full day of 4 wheeling to the journey.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Governors basin is a beautiful trail to try. Just don't go down Sydney basin (intersects governors 2 times) also stay away from mineral creek if you are still stock at tht time. It has some big boulders.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I did Ophir, Immogene and Engineer in a stock 2013 JK, 225/75/16 stock tires this past August.
Use common sense, take your time and enjoy the beauty of the most amazing place in Co, if not the U.S.

·
Commercial Member
2,057 Posts
The family and I are starting to plan our 3rd Ouray trip for some time in July as well. Most likely for a long weekend either the 11th or the 17th.

Last year we did Mineral Creek and across a section of Engineer Pass to Animas Forks. We took California Gulch, Hurricane Pass and Corkscrew Gulch back down to Ouray. We also messed around on Red Mountain and Brown Mountain (think that's the name of it, they share the same trail head) on afternoon. That trip had a lot of rain duing the afternoons, so Mineral Creek was "interesting" in spots with all the water running on it. You could do it in a stock Jeep, but you would have to pick your way through some spots to go around the bigger rocks and such.

Any of those trails keep you entertained and you would not be lacking for scenery.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It looks to me like I'm going to be out there the weekend of the 19th.

I live in central Nebraska and will most likely leave Friday morning and travel all day to Lake City and arrive in the evening.

Saturday I'm planning on going across cinnamon pass to Animas Forks, to California Gulch and corkscrew Gulch and then up to Ouray.

Sunday is looking like Imogene Pass from Ouray to Telluride and then traveling up the two way part of black bear road to Bridal Falls.

Not sure on sleeping arrangements tho. May be hotels or camping.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts