Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lifted the jeep up with a zone 4" on my 07 jku and after 3 months it's well out of alignment.... Is that normal.... I couldn't find anything lose under there... Should I just adjust the tie rod and call it a day...
Is it just part of doing lights trails and having 33" mudders on there that ill have to do it every couple of months maybe.... Any thoughts...

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
What is 'out of alignment' ?

Jeeps don't get 'out of alignment' unless something is bent, broke or lifted!

Did you reset the caster after your lift?
Do you have adjustable control arms?

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
What is 'out of alignment' ?

Jeeps don't get 'out of alignment' unless something is bent, broke or lifted!

Did you reset the caster after your lift?
Do you have adjustable control arms?
^^^This.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just basic lift no adjustable control arms... It was just springs shocks and track bars.... I then brought it to a 4x4 shop to get a wheel alignment after that.... It was great for awhile and noticed it started pulling left a bit.... Then one day I noticed that it was out a bit but can't find anything damaged

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:whistling: Your tires should be toe-in 1/8" and your + caster should be in excess of 5°-

The wheels are slightly toed out
If your 4" lift came with adj LCAs and trackbars, that shoulda taken careofit, but

The toe-in should have been adj--back to the alignment shop and have them doit --FREE

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ya the kit didn't come with lca's. And it was fine until just recently and I can't find anything wrong. I don't really want to adjust the tie rods just to mask a problem of something being bent but I don't see anything wrong. The toe in was adjusted by the shop everything was perfect till recently

·
Registered
780 Posts
A 4in lift that didnt come with replacement control arms? Wow, did they check your caster settings when they did the alignment?

You say nothing is bent (or looks bent), but to change from tow in to tow out can be done by hitting the tie rod in just the right spot, where it currently has a bend so in effect straightening it and making the distance between the tie rod ends longer. Hitting anywhere else and bending it will shorten the tie rod and increase the tow in.

Back to the LCA's - unless anything else has been done to correct caster, you will be sitting at around 3 degrees if you are lucky - steering will be light and not feel acurate with a very strong tendancy to follow any slight lean on the road. Needs to be back up near or over 5 degrees for stability and to reduce the chances of a low caster wobble (feels a lot like death wobble) which will start to damage front end components and lead you into full blown death wobble.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Ya the kit didn't come with lca's. And it was fine until just recently and I can't find anything wrong. I don't really want to adjust the tie rods just to mask a problem of something being bent but I don't see anything wrong. The toe in was adjusted by the shop everything was perfect till recently
A 4in lift that didnt come with replacement control arms? Wow, did they check your caster settings when they did the alignment?

You say nothing is bent (or looks bent), but to change from tow in to tow out can be done by hitting the tie rod in just the right spot, where it currently has a bend so in effect straightening it and making the distance between the tie rod ends longer. Hitting anywhere else and bending it will shorten the tie rod and increase the tow in.

Back to the LCA's - unless anything else has been done to correct caster, you will be sitting at around 3 degrees if you are lucky - steering will be light and not feel acurate with a very strong tendancy to follow any slight lean on the road. Needs to be back up near or over 5 degrees for stability and to reduce the chances of a low caster wobble (feels a lot like death wobble) which will start to damage front end components and lead you into full blown death wobble.
I agree with Dave. Check your caster, either yourself, or at a shop other than the one that installed your lift.

Adjustable ca's should be mandatory on a lift of that height. I'd be shocked if your caster was anywhere near the +5º (or more) it needs to be.

Here's a couple of links for checking toe-in, caster, etc yourself:

Project-JK.com - Jeep JK Wrangler Resource » Basic Do-it-Yourself Jeep JK Wrangler Front End Alignment

Basic Jeep Front End Alignment

1 - 11 of 11 Posts