Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Out of ideas....

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Dlong 
#1 ·
I have a 1990 YJ. Have had it since I was 16 and have never had a major problem with it. Bought a truck back in 05 and jeep was put in garage and driven every now and then, you get the picture......
Had it out the past three weekends running it, no problems. Parked in the garage and now she won't crank? Totally confused.
Changed fuel filter
changed fule pump (carborated 4.2 IL6)
checked for fire, it's got spark
checked fule line up to carb, spits out fuel to the carb
checked distirbutor, looks fine

Is the problem my carborator? I don't know much about carbs but have fixed everything else on this jeep myself. It's all original, just as I bought it back in 1990. Carb is the one part I have never had to deal with yet.
Any advice would be appreciated. Just trying to avoid the "tow of shame" out of the garage to the shop!!! :banghead:

#2 ·
yes it is deffinitly your carb. I have a 1990 yj aswell with the 4.2 and that stupid carter carb was a big peace of shit. But did you try starter fluid? Spray that into the carb and see if it starts. Or dump a little bit of gas and try to start it. If it starts then your carb is not picking up the fuel in the bowl where the float is that fills up the bowl with gas to be picked up and injected. Could just be dirty or you need a rebuild kit. That kit will be new seals and floats and etc. but it's kind of a pain if you aren't a carb expert and the carter carbs are hard to work on anyway. But if you do spray starter fluid or gas and it doesn't start and you said you do have spark well you can still have a weak spark and it not be enough to start and run. That most likely is the ignition module under the antifreeze jug but do check your plugs if they are black and burnt and check your distributor cap on the little metal tips that the rotor button touches. A very small amount of crap on them can keep you from getting good spark. And there is a pick up coil which is the wires on the distributor can be wearing out. On these 4.2's there isn't alot that keeps them from not running so check that stuff and you will find it.

P.S for me i went with a different carb and have had great results. But i also went ahead and replaced everythig on mine. All new ignition stuff and new carb and removed my emission stuff so mine runs alittle different anyway too. Good luck

#3 ·
Sounds good. I will try to pull it apart and clean it first. If that doesn't work then I will order a rebuild kit I suppose. How much of a pain is it to just replace with a different barnd of carb? I assume there is some type of modification to make so it fits right? And thanks for the reply, just found this forum and I already like what I see. Lot of good info on here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.