Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw this article about out of state OHV's requiring a permit to go off road on state or federal land. Reciprocity is now void and AZ won't accept out of state registrations.

So, does this affect Jeeps? It looks like it only affects ATV's, buggies and SxS's based on the 2500 lb GVW or less if the article is correct but we all know how the media can screw things up.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Being I live here in AZ, and unless something has drastically changed then your Jeep is no different than and car or truck. Go where you like. Here in north east AZ atv's and sxs are legal on the highways and streets provided they have a horn, brake light,rear view mirror and headlight. If you register a atv or sxs here you are issued a regular metal license plate. This ONLY proves its registered. Then we have 2 types of trails or forest roads differentiated by either a vertical or horizontal road marker. One requires no lights or road legal type stuff, but you do need that plate and the OHV sticker. If you plan on riding n the "street legal" trails or roads then it requires a bike, atv,buggy or sxs to have the lights,horn,plate, plate light, OHV sticker and a regular registration tag. Hope that make sense, and again im not sure if this applies to areas like southern AZ . Nothing like blasting a KFX 400 down a state highway at 70 passing cars in the slow lane. There is no helmet laws here either. Here is a link from 9/19 with OHV requirements. https://azstateparks.com/ohv-laws-regulations

·
Registered
532 Posts
There is also a new article in the local paper indicating AZ will no longer honor the out of state OHV sticker for the the 30 days they once did. Now you need to purchase a $25 annual use pass for each OHV used here.

·
Registered
7,882 Posts
Separate but also important is a State Land Trust permit or can substitute a general hunting license.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
I just have one I renew every year just for piece of mind. The family permit is cheap.

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
That does not affect Jeeps.

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
Separate but also important is a State Land Trust permit or can substitute a general hunting license.
You can always drive THROUGH State Trust Land without a permit - it is when you stop to "recreate" permit is required. I always keep mine up to date because you never know when you may need to stop for lunch lol.

·
Registered
7,882 Posts
You can always drive THROUGH State Trust Land without a permit - it is when you stop to "recreate" permit is required. I always keep mine up to date because you never know when you may need to stop for lunch lol.
You are technically correct, if you don’t get out of the 4X4 you don’t need a permit, if the vehicle is not an OHV and over 1800 lbs. Most of the permit money goes to K-12 education and it’s only $15 a year.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Much like Commiefornia's $30 a year "adventure pass" one needs to keep on moving along otherwise if you stop, park, or get out your subject to a ticket unless you have purchased this pass.

·
Registered
7,882 Posts
Much like Commiefornia's $30 a year "adventure pass" one needs to keep on moving along otherwise if you stop, park, or get out your subject to a ticket unless you have purchased this pass.

Please! Don’t compare Arizona to Kalifornistan!

State Trust land in Arizona is land given to the state by the Federal government so that it could be sold if the state needed money. In Arizona you likely won’t get a fine if caught without a permit. I was shooting on Trust land (without the annual permit) before I realized it was not allowed (except for hunting) and someone called the Sheriff. The Sherrif came by, complimented me on my use of a proper backstop, and told me not to shoot here and left.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Please! Don’t compare Arizona to Kalifornistan!

State Trust land in Arizona is land given to the state by the Federal government so that it could be sold if the state needed money. In Arizona you likely won’t get a fine if caught without a permit. I was shooting on Trust land (without the annual permit) before I realized it was not allowed (except for hunting) and someone called the Sheriff. The Sherrif came by, complimented me on my use of a proper backstop, and told me not to shoot here and left.
Believe me, there is NO comparison. Not even close, no way no how. Er....oh wait a minute..terrible place, mean people, way to much regulation and nothing to do, anywhere, ever.. ;)

·
Super Moderator
12,720 Posts
Believe me, there is NO comparison. Not even close, no way no how. Er....oh wait a minute..terrible place, mean people, way to much regulation and nothing to do, anywhere, ever.. ;)
Arizona must be just like Colorado. Terrible place with rattlesnakes, spiders and trigger happy ********. California is much safer.

Good Luck, L.M.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts