Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seem my temp runs +\- 5 degs hotter than the actual outside temps when above 50 degs or so. Recent trip to cold reviled it’s close to accurate in the freezing range. Seems to get less accurate the hotter it is. Anyone else had this issue? Any way to calibrate this?

·
Premium Member
8,653 Posts
The temp sensor is located near the radiator. It will be more accurate at speed than it will be in stop and go traffic. I see as much as a 5 degree swing between the two.

·
Registered
93 Posts
It's located at the bottom of the grille. Park nose into the sun and you get a false reading. Park engine hot and the radiant heat from the radiator causes a false hi reading on restart (sometimes by a lot). On the move, after a few minutes (I think the manual says it updates something like 5-7 minute intervals, can't remember exactly) and it's usually within +/- 1 degree accuracy (2 degrees total variation). Go through a car wash, and it goes a bit nuts for a while - same with fog and drizzle. Stuck in traffic? Will likely read hi. Kind of the nature of the "instrument error" of the thing and the sensor placement. Remember, it's not reading "outside air temperature" so to speak... it's taking a reading from the bottom of the grille.... which is pretty close for the most part.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Could be a genuinely bad sensor. Does happen. They are around $20 and fairly easy to swap out if out of warranty.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
I have found that the black metal Recon front bumper adds 5-7 degrees for at least 5-10 miles after being parked in the hot summer sun of So. Nv.. It slowly comes back down to match my precisely calibrated Snap-On coolant thermometer slipped out of the window. In the middle of Aug., I have also seen asphalt temps in So. Nv. of 155 F.. That doesn't cool off as you drive. Way too many variances to complain about it being 5 degrees off from what you think it should be reading.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts