Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i put a new headgasket in yesterday and it was running fine. I then was going up this dirt road(old stage rd, Colorado springs,CO) when it started over heating... It's not circulating water as far as I can tell... ! I bipassed the heater core, there is no thermostat and the water pump is about a month old! Any other ideas why this is happening

·
Registered
876 Posts
Trapped an air bubble in the block... You need to "burp" your radiator and refill with the correct coolant after replacing your head gasket...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Trapped an air bubble in the block... You need to "burp" your radiator and refill with the correct coolant after replacing your head gasket...
I agree.

If you only fill through the radiator do something similar to this:
Top off
Run for 2 mins at idle speed then shut down.
Top off
Run up to the temp the thermostat opens up.
Run for a minute or two with the termostat open then shut down.
Wait for a few mins for coolant temp to drop to safe levels, then top off again.

If you still have the overflow bottle on your Jeep, it should alleviate some of the issue as the tank should pull in more coolant if the condition of the bottle becomes under vacuum.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I told you that you had air in your system in your old thread about this. Open up the cap and pour antifreeze and water directly into the radiator. Run it with the cap off. Continue pouring carefully.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,629 Posts
It was overheating before the head gasket? Or if this is a new issue, did the parts guy give you the right gasket that had all the right size holes in all the right places? Also, it's not good long-term to run without the right 195 degree thermostat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts