Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a good day in the mud my radiator was packed with mud. Started overheating, so took the hose to it. Got it home and went to town with the hose. Came at it from engine side and the grill side. Problem sovled. A week later drove about two miles and it starts heating up again. Reservoir was gurgling, steaming and empty. The heater was blowing cold air. I haven't noticed any puddles other than oil. 4.0 2004 lj.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Fill it back up and see how it fairs (or where it's leaking). Also would be a good idea to check the fan clutch and maybe a new t-stat too. You may have boiled some coolant out when it over heated the first time or it may have already been a little low and you didn't realize it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
^ what he said. I had the same problem and just had to hit it with the hose a couple of more times. You'd be surprised how mud hides...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The fan clutch seems fine. And was headed to the auto parts store when I over heated again after a half mile. Turned around popped the hood an blew a hole in the reservoir on the small pipe in back.
Im in the process of pulling the radiator to give it a thorough cleaning inside and out

But what gets me is that it's blowing cold air when the heat is on. ........

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
What does your coolant look like. When we got my son's 97, the cooling system had been neglected and it took flushing the heater core several times, both directions, to get it unstopped.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,000 Posts
The two smaller hoses go to your automatic transmission, it is cooled by a separate transmission cooler inside the radiator. So you'll need a radiator made for use with an automatic transmission if you replace it.

Have I mentioned recently why I will no longer wheel in mud on purpose? :)

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
But what gets me is that it's blowing cold air when the heat is on. ........
That could be a sign of no coolant flowing through the heater core. Could be a stuck thermostat, air bubble trapped in the heater core, water pump fail, etc. Once you've topped it off, bring it up to temp with the rad cap off and see if the coolant is flowing.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All is well now. I was able to flush the whole system, including pulling the radiator to wash every square inch. Replaced coolant and it's actually running about 10-15℉ cooler. B-)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts