Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all
I am having some issues that I cant resolve. I am continually overheating when over drive is turned off on my 07. I have changed the coolant, and the fan is operating properly. I would go as far to say that my 35s could be the culprit, but its been doing this since i had 33s, and i cannot figure it out. I tend to drive alot with the overdrive off because of my tire size, but this issue is impairing that. If anyone has some advice id appreciate it. Sorry for the spelling and grammar but im on an iphone.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ncossey said:
Hello all
I am having some issues that I cant resolve. I am continually overheating when over drive is turned off on my 07. I have changed the coolant, and the fan is operating properly. I would go as far to say that my 35s could be the culprit, but its been doing this since i had 33s, and i cannot figure it out. I tend to drive alot with the overdrive off because of my tire size, but this issue is impairing that. If anyone has some advice id appreciate it. Sorry for the spelling and grammar but im on an iphone.
This is my engine overheating btw, not my tranny.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bump

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
Any gremlins under your hood chewing on wires? In seriousness, did you re gear for the larger tires since changing them up? Wouldn't the tranny overheating issue still be an "hot engine" issue all the same?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ESP123 said:
Any gremlins under your hood chewing on wires? In seriousness, did you re gear for the larger tires since changing them up? Wouldn't the tranny overheating issue still be an "hot engine" issue all the same?
I have 4.10s, and I dont see how a regear could cause the issue, I am not overheating unless I turn off overdrive. Please dont treat me like a newb with your gremlin comments, I clearly post on these forums all the time.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
I have 4.10s, and I dont see how a regear could cause the issue, I am not overheating unless I turn off overdrive. Please dont treat me like a newb with your gremlin comments, I clearly post on these forums all the time.
Was joke but apparently either your panties are to tight or you have no sense of humor. Could be both.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ESP123 said:
Was joke but apparently either your panties are to tight or you have no sense of humor. Could be both.
Yeah both of those and my less than 4 year old vehicle is overheating and I cant figure it out, that can get pretty frustrating.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Well I actually am a newb when it comes to engine mechanics, but you've obviously stumped the group here, so it can't hurt for me to toss something out.

The overdrive thing makes sense to me. Overdrive reduces engine RPMs, so if you've got an overheating problem, overdrive could be the last thing that's helping keep it at bay.

That said, this would be my list of possibilities:

(1) Check the radiator. Is it dirty? How about the radiator tubes that could be restricting the flow of the cooling fluid? Anything in the grille that could be stopping the flow of air?

(2) Check your coolant. Did the last service tech put the wrong stuff in? Is the right stuff there, but it's really dirty? (Never mind, you already checked.) How about a loss of coolant pressure due to a leak of air coming into the system? How about a bad water pump causing bad coolant circulation?
(3) Is you fan belt loose? (Never mind, you already checked.)

That's it. That's all I know. If that doesn't help, hopefully someone with some real knowledge can.

I'm sure it's frustrating. Good luck.

EDIT: Oh, wait, I see in your original post you already checked the coolant and the fan. That leaves me with the radiator, a leak of air coming into the coolant system, or maybe a bad water pump?

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:cool: Check your coolant recovery bootle, when the engines cold, should be half full of coolant and rubber the line to the rad. cap seat, sealed !!

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MTH said:
Well I actually am a newb when it comes to engine mechanics, but you've obviously stumped the group here, so it can't hurt for me to toss something out.

The overdrive thing makes sense to me. Overdrive reduces engine RPMs, so if you've got an overheating problem, overdrive could be the last thing that's helping keep it at bay.

That said, this would be my list of possibilities:

(1) Check the radiator. Is it dirty? How about the radiator tubes that could be restricting the flow of the cooling fluid? Anything in the grille that could be stopping the flow of air?

(2) Check your coolant. Did the last service tech put the wrong stuff in? Is the right stuff there, but it's really dirty? (Never mind, you already checked.) How about a loss of coolant pressure due to a leak of air coming into the system? How about a bad water pump causing bad coolant circulation?
(3) Is you fan belt loose? (Never mind, you already checked.)

That's it. That's all I know. If that doesn't help, hopefully someone with some real knowledge can.

I'm sure it's frustrating. Good luck.

EDIT: Oh, wait, I see in your original post you already checked the coolant and the fan. That leaves me with the radiator, a leak of air coming into the coolant system, or maybe a bad water pump?
I think the small hole in the radiator could be a possibility, I offroad alot, and arkansas has alot of pine thickets which are notorious for going through radiator meshing. The problem is I just left for new orleans for 4 days and when I came home I found no coolant dripping, so I am starting to wonder if the problem lies in a hose that is loose.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
I think the small hole in the radiator could be a possibility, I offroad alot, and arkansas has alot of pine thickets which are notorious for going through radiator meshing. The problem is I just left for new orleans for 4 days and when I came home I found no coolant dripping, so I am starting to wonder if the problem lies in a hose that is loose.
A lose or cracked hose would explain it, and would be a simple fix.

I'm curious what the answer is here. Make sure you let us know when you find out.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MTH said:
A lose or cracked hose would explain it, and would be a simple fix.

I'm curious what the answer is here. Make sure you let us know when you find out.
Will do, its extremely annoying because i cant do much offroading with overdrive on.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
Might be a partially stuck thermostat.

·
Just a kid at heart...
14,315 Posts
Anytime I have weird overheating issues, with no obvious sign of leakage. Or clog. I change out the thermostat. Maybe "OD off" changes the reporting parameters and you're getting a "false positive".

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
seadog said:
Anytime I have weird overheating issues, with no obvious sign of leakage. Or clog. I change out the thermostat. Maybe "OD off" changes the reporting parameters and you're getting a "false positive".
Its definitely not a false positive due to the fact that the last time i overheated i opened the hood and i could hear the coolant bubbling.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Schwheelz said:
What rpm does your jeep shift at?
Id have to pull it up on my superchips and see what the 87 octane setting has it set too.

·
Just a kid at heart...
14,315 Posts
That answers that. I'd still look at the thermostat. Relatively cheap for the peace of mind. 10 minute swap.

How many miles on your Jeep?

·
Registered
254 Posts
replace the thermostat, and if that doesn't work check the belt tension...if it's too loose the water pump won't work properly(you already know this). rinse the fins of the radiator again. check the upper and lower hoses(they could be collapsing after they get warm). check your exhaust system, a pinched exhaust pipe could cause problems with overheating. a clogged cat could also have the same effect. anyways just my thoughts, and you need to get this problem solved that way we don't have any probs on the trail

1 - 20 of 35 Posts