Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the jeep world and really loving it so far. I bought a 94 yj that has a 3" lift and 33's on her. To me she is beautiful. Red, softtop, 4 cyl. Now my problems. She will not go over 55 on highway and that takes a little bit to get to. I've figured out I believe that is due to the tire size and she has stock gearing that doesn't like the weight of the tires. I was wondering if anybody might have some insight in this because I don't know if I am rt in my thoughts.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
the problem is it's a 4cyl with 33's, not using 5th gear would help but even with lower gears the 4 cyl is a dog

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So how large a tire in your opinion do you think I could go and still function well? Stock was 215/75r15. I love her look now and the speed isn't a huge issue with me because the whole driving blazing fast thing is behind me, but would like to be able to take the interstate from time to time.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
I ran 30s on my 2.5L with a 5 speed and stock gears (4.10). It did fine on the highway. Now I have 35s on 4.88s. I haven't even attempted the highway considering I set up my axle swaps with a tape measure and my alignment angles are way off.

You need to regear or get smaller tires. Keep in mind those larger tires stress the weak rear axle, and the brakes will be working harder. Some suggest brake booster modifications/swaps but no amount of hydraulic pressure will change the fact that you have single piston calipers, small rotors, and weak rear drum brakes.

Reactions: Jak_Rak

·
Registered
158 Posts
I agree with MM - I think a 30" tire is the max size you would want to run with the 2.5L and stock gearing. I'm not talking about "driving blazing fast", either, but just being able to accelerate at a decent clip and then keep up with highway traffic safely.

The 4 cylinder is considered to be underpowered by many, even in stock form.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I have 30" tires on mine and in a strong headwind it's all that those 4 squirrels can do to keep the jeep at 70 mph on the highway. Suggest re gearing or put smaller tires on the jeep.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Lower gearing would help acceleration. As mentioned though, the 4 popper isn't known for being a powerhouse. It takes a lot of power to push a jeep to 70mph.

Personally, I don't care for freeway driving, too damn boring, I prefer back roads. Surprisingly, they are often shorter than the freeway

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
As mentioned above. 30s max, and even then its underpowered. 235/75-15s are better.

What kind of lift do you have? 3" body lift? Suspension lift? If its a body lift, remove it, too and it will look better with the smaller tires.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a 95 yj , 2.5l, 5 speed manual and 31 tires. I think my top speed is 65 at best. When I need to replace tires I m going to a 30. Should also help MPG, I can't believe the low MPG I get with a 4 cylinder.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'm running a 93 yj 2.5 with 235/75x15, about 28", and they are great all around size tires. I can cruse at 70 mph in 5th and NOT on the floor. Plenty of giddy up in town and I have plenty of clearance out here in the desert. I guess it all depends on what kind of jeeping you do. I am not interested in rock crawling but I do a LOT of trails, washes and mountain goating.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have 33/12.50 15 on mine with a 4cyl and stock gearing and mine can do 70 it won't do it in a hurry or uphill haha but I can run a consistent 60-70 down the interstate I have put the 4.0 throttle body hotter ignition and 19# four hole injectors on mine just giving you a different option also I would suggest a regear that's what's next for me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
115 Posts
1995 YJ 4 cyl 5 speed with 30s she does well and pulls my 16ft john boat doing a good job. I'm moving up to 31s max and regearing to 488s This should give me a little better than she was stock. If I were to want 33s it would have a 6cyl engine. I have been very happy with the 4 cyl and never plan to change. Bought a 95 4 cyl off the show room floor back in 1995 and never regretted it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
After reading all posts about how underpowered the 2.5L is, I consider myself blessed.

I have a '92 2.5L 5 Speed I can do 75 easily on mostly flat roads in fifth gear. Slight inclines MPH will decrease but I can maintain high 60's.

I'm running 33/12.5-15 BFGs.

I did add 4 hole injectors, iridium plugs, wires, new TB sensors, oxygen sensor, headers and full exhaust and intake. Running stock gearing, AFAIK.

I may do TB and electric fan but I haven't seen the need for it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Today I put my Garmin GPS in My Jeep . Found that the Speedometer is off by about 2 percent . Actually is burning down the road . :>)
Perhaps you should check the speedometer against a GPS unit. You may be going faster than you think.
I was hitting 7 satellites so it should be fairly accurate.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Oh, my speedometer is way, way off!! When it clocks 55, I'm actually doing closer to 64 MPH. I use a GPS as speedometer. I have a cool bracket hanging from the rear view mirror which holds my iPhone. I run a fairly accurate GPS app.

I hear people saying that 5th gear is all but useless in a 4 cyl. If they expect to accelerate like a race car in 5th, of course it is.

I get up to speed in lower gears and then shift into 5th, and continue to 70-72 or 75 quite easily. Not fast but I keep up with traffic just fine.

Reactions: banjotx
1 - 16 of 16 Posts