Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2011 with the auto isn't using overdrive! Right now in Kansas its really cold, does that have anything to do with it?

The fastest I go isnt even 65mph! I will be on a flat road cruising at 60 and my RPMs are about 2.5k when usually they are about 1.8k!

I know that its ok to be that high, but I wont be getting the same milage. It has been doing this for a little over a month now, should I be concerned?

·
Registered
614 Posts
My 2011 with the auto isn't using overdrive! Right now in Kansas its really cold, does that have anything to do with it?

The fastest I go isnt even 65mph! I will be on a flat road cruising at 60 and my RPMs are about 2.5k when usually they are about 1.8k!

I know that its ok to be that high, but I wont be getting the same milage. It has been doing this for a little over a month now, should I be concerned?
I would bring it in. It's dropped down into the single digits here and everything works like it should. Well except for the damn heated seats but that's another thread...

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
That is totally normal. The transmission has to achieve and maintain a certain temperature for the OD to kick in and for the torque converter to lock up.
Good luck trying to get any kind of mileage in cold weather. Better off to shut OD off all together.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is totally normal. The transmission has to achieve and maintain a certain temperature for the OD to kick in and for the torque converter to lock up. Good luck trying to get any kind of mileage in cold weather. Better off to shut OD off all together.
This is what I was guessing, but even after driving a while sometimes it wont even go into it. Must take a while to warm up...

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
That is not normal. The transmission should warm up to operating temp within 15-20 minutes. It's not a problem we see in Alaska even at 20 to 30 below zero.

Mike

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Totally depends where you drive and how cold it is. I have a 45 minute highway commute and at -25 or colder it may or may not be warmed up enough until I drive around town a bit. With the -40 and colder we've been getting it really takes quite awhile to warm up.

·
Super Moderator
7,627 Posts
Another vote for normal. The transmission is programmed to stay out of OD until a certain fluid temp is reached. This aids in warming the engine up faster. Unfortunately it burns more gas in the process.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts