Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about something I read in another thread. Is it harmful to overfill your gas tank, like all the way up into the neck? I have done this quite a bit because I felt like it was a good way to accurately check gas mileage, by squeezing in as much gas as possible on consecutive fill-ups to measure exactly how much gas was used per miles driven. Someone stated that it could damage your evaporative canister, which had never occurred to me. If this could be harmful, I won't do it any more. What do you think?

·
Registered
881 Posts
I've heard the same thing; that it can flood the charcoal in the vapor canister and ruin it. Since these things can cost more than $150 I would stop over filling. For the mileage if you keep track of enough fillups the small differences will average out.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
I seen a rear diff vent mounted to the fuel fill tube. Not sure what year it was. I imagine a one way valve is in place. Still wouldn't try to fill past it lol. It was a tj newer than my 2000.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I have a question about something I read in another thread. Is it harmful to overfill your gas tank, like all the way up into the neck? I have done this quite a bit because I felt like it was a good way to accurately check gas mileage, by squeezing in as much gas as possible on consecutive fill-ups to measure exactly how much gas was used per miles driven. Someone stated that it could damage your evaporative canister, which had never occurred to me. If this could be harmful, I won't do it any more. What do you think?

I wouldnt make a habit of it.
But whenever I check my gas milage, I go until it kicks off the first time.
Its not so much that you fill as much gas in as possible, but that you fill up consistanty to the same level each fillup.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
i wouldnt make a habit of it. But whenever i check my gas milage, i go until it kicks off the first time. Its not so much that you fill as much gas in as possible, but that you fill up consistanty to the same level each fillup.
x2

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I have gotten a lot of good information from this Forum, so I am glad to learn that I should stop overfilling my tank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts