Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you folks build your own CB mount for an over head install? Trying to locate my mid 90's Cobra 29 LTD up top and don't want to pay for a pre-built one since the CB cost less than $50. :)

RichnSteph

·
Super Moderator
10,652 Posts
A Smittybilt console is around $130.00 and has a space to mount a DIN sized radio. If you have a radio in the stock location and don't have a console, you might consider the Smittybilt.
Probably more money than you were thinking about spending, but it gives you a steel locking console with an armrest.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
Having it mounted overhead sounds annoying because of cords dangling in front of the rear view mirror. And a possible scalper if you were involved in a serious accident.

I used to have a cheap Uniden mounted under my dash but i never really used it and i had to deal with big stupid antennas. Everyone i wheel with has switched over to Baofeng radios and i just clip mine to the sun visor. It picks up police/emergency channels, noaa weather and anything else you want to program into it on 2 meter or 70 centimeter bands and it picks up FM radio channels. You can get a UV-5R for $20 and a battery delete for about $7 to plug it into your cigarette lighter.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I know that there are some better options out there for newer CB/coms but I like the old monster Cobras and since my rear view mirror fell off 3 months ago I've not really missed it. :) I truly like the nostalgia of older things which is part of the reason I'm also installing an OEM radio in there. I like the original look of the interior and any add-ons (I.E.CB, lights, gauges) should, in my opinion and in my Jeep, be period correct.

Yes.... I'm one of "those people".

RichnSteph

·
Premium Member
2,705 Posts
A Smittybilt console is around $130.00 and has a space to mount a DIN sized radio. If you have a radio in the stock location and don't have a console, you might consider the Smittybilt.
Probably more money than you were thinking about spending, but it gives you a steel locking console with an armrest.

Good Luck, L.M.

Out of Site, Out of Mind... I try not to leave anything in plain site so as not to entice anyone to "borrow" it....

·
Los Angeles
989 Posts
Yeah I know that there are some better options out there for newer CB/coms but I like the old monster Cobras and since my rear view mirror fell off 3 months ago I've not really missed it. :) I truly like the nostalgia of older things which is part of the reason I'm also installing an OEM radio in there. I like the original look of the interior and any add-ons (I.E.CB, lights, gauges) should, in my opinion and in my Jeep, be period correct.

RichnSteph
Hate to break it to you, but we are all "those people", lol. As you get older you will become one of "Those effing people"!

·
Super Moderator
10,652 Posts
Hate to break it to you, but we are all "those people", lol. As you get older you will become one of "Those effing people"!

"WHO?....ME?"

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Any of you folks build your own CB mount for an over head install? Trying to locate my mid 90's Cobra 29 LTD up top and don't want to pay for a pre-built one since the CB cost less than $50. :)

RichnSteph

Made my own mounting bracket out of L brackets. I get some photos posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
That would be a hell of a ticket here in CA.

·
Registered
343 Posts

RichnSteph
Yeah and nothing works like those old ones especially if they're "tweaked and peaked".

If you unscrew the ashtray/cig lighter assembly and slide it over towards the glove box it leave a perfectly sized space for a 29LTD.

·
Super Moderator
10,652 Posts
Made my own mounting bracket out of L brackets. I get some photos posted.

That would be a hell of a ticket here in CA.
I wouldn't worry so much about a ticket, I'd worry about running someone over.

Besides, I don't have enough hair to even think about leaving a brush on my dash.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Arizona Rocky Road is what I use in my TJ and YJ http://www.arizonarockyroad.com/radiomounts.html

Jeep 35.jpg

Those Baofeng radios have nothing on my Cobra 29 dead keys 30 and swings over 40 watts. On top of that, the Baofengs will not be sold in the United States after the end of September 2019 because they do not comply with FCC regulations. If you are caught operating one without a ham license you will be fined up to $10,000 if you caught selling them it can be up to a $147,000 fine

Reactions: RichnSteph

·
Super Moderator
10,652 Posts
For a comprehensive and confusing explanation search "Baofeng radios illegal".

I'm sure they're much greater sins than operating a hand held radio outside the legal frequencies and power limits that aren't being prosecuted.
It seems that some uses are legal and other uses are illegal with the same hand held radio if I read the articles correctly.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Believe me, I have done the research after one of my club members told me that these radios will not be sold in the USA after 9/19. Try these articles and the many others that will say the same thing. The Baofengs UV 5 are not FCC part 90 compliant.

https://hackaday.com/2018/09/25/buy-a-baofeng-while-you-still-can-fcc-scowls-at-unauthorized-frequency-transmitters/

https://www.kb6nu.com/did-the-fcc-just-make-baofengs-illegal-short-answer-no/

https://www.buytwowayradios.com/blog/2018/09/fcc-issues-advisory-against-the-import-sale-and-use-of-unauthorized-uhf-vhf-two-way-radios.html

https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DA-18-801A1.pdf

http://www.arrl.org/news/fcc-cites-baofeng-importer-for-illegally-marketing-unauthorized-rf-devices

That's just 5 articles on the subject... If remember I did say "if" a person was caught.

·
Registered
819 Posts
RichnSteph
OP, I used radiator hose clamps to secure my CB bracket to the roll bar in front of the soundbar. It sits centered behind and between the front seats. I'm hard of hearing, and even on the interstate I can hear it tolerably well; with no problem hearing it in the woods.

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
I wouldn't worry so much about a ticket, I'd worry about running someone over.

Besides, I don't have enough hair to even think about leaving a brush on my dash.
No problems seeing at all.

Good Luck, L.M.

Well I’m in rural middle Tennessee. You could not pay me to live in California. The brush is for the beard I shave my head and no trouble seeing at all either.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
Believe me, I have done the research after one of my club members told me that these radios will not be sold in the USA after 9/19. Try these articles and the many others that will say the same thing. The Baofengs UV 5 are not FCC part 90 compliant.

https://hackaday.com/2018/09/25/buy-a-baofeng-while-you-still-can-fcc-scowls-at-unauthorized-frequency-transmitters/

https://www.kb6nu.com/did-the-fcc-just-make-baofengs-illegal-short-answer-no/

https://www.buytwowayradios.com/blog/2018/09/fcc-issues-advisory-against-the-import-sale-and-use-of-unauthorized-uhf-vhf-two-way-radios.html

https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DA-18-801A1.pdf

FCC Cites Baofeng Importer for Illegally Marketing Unauthorized RF Devices

That's just 5 articles on the subject... If remember I did say "if" a person was caught.

I have heard they are going to ban them but right now they do have an FCC certification. I have several UV-5R's and a a BF-F8HP and i absolutely LOVE them they are a hell of a radio for $20. They are technically illegal to use to transmit on FRS frequencies but as long as your not being a nuisance you are fine. I would not be operating them on ham repeaters without a license that is a quick way to piss people off. As long as you fly under the radar you will be fine and they are a hell of a lot more useful than a CB.

·
Premium Member
2,705 Posts
I have heard they are going to ban them but right now they do have an FCC certification. I have several UV-5R's and a a BF-F8HP and i absolutely LOVE them they are a hell of a radio for $20. They are technically illegal to use to transmit on FRS frequencies but as long as your not being a nuisance you are fine. I would not be operating them on ham repeaters without a license that is a quick way to piss people off. As long as you fly under the radar you will be fine and they are a hell of a lot more useful than a CB.
Still on Amazon right now, but I see the prices have about doubled since I bought mine a couple years ago.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
Still on Amazon right now, but I see the prices have about doubled since I bought mine a couple years ago.

They are more expensive on Amazon it is the worst place to buy them ebay has them for $20. The more expensive 8 watt BF-F8HP is overall nicer than the $20 UV-5R but it is a overall nicer radio with better build quality. I keep a cheap UV-5R in my jeep though

·
Registered
909 Posts
NO, They are no FCC part 90 compliant as that includes the power output with the UV5 pushing 4 watts and the BF8 has up to 8 watts. The maximum power output for these radios is 1.78 watts according to FCC part 90.
They can also be programmed to operate on frequencies that are a major NO NO to be on that is also against FCC part 90.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts