Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright first off I have a 97 Wrangler Se with the 2.5l. Last week me and a friend were driving around home and it overheated. It cracked the radiator and the belt came off due to the idler pulley falling apart. I know why it overheated. It was the clogged cat. Im trying to figure out that since it overheated so bad, and the belt came off while it was running. Would there be any internal damage. I know some cars get serious damage when the belt comes off and it keeps driving

·
Administrator
12,602 Posts
Depends on how far you drove it and how hot the engine got. did the temp go into the red?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it went into the red for only maybe like 30 seconds. I dont think it would have caused that much internal damage with that short amount of time. Im more concerned about the belt coming off and messing up timing, or hurting the valves

·
Registered
407 Posts
I believe what you are refering to is the timing belt. Which belt came off? Since you said the idler pulley did something, I assume you are talking about the exposed serpentine belt that runs the PS, AC and alternator. The timing belt is under the front engine cover and not exposed. Two seperate belts with different functions.

If the serpentine belt came off, no worries. It in itself coming off will not hurt the engine internals. The timing belt, well, that's another story. The 2.5 is an interference engine which means if the timing belt comes off while the engine is running, the potential for internal damage is high.

Overall, from what you stated I don't think you have any internal damage. Correct the known problems and get back out on the trail.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you have no idea how happy you just made me by telling me that. This bitch is getting fixed today

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help. I got her running again. freedom has never sounded so nice

1 - 6 of 6 Posts