Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided I’d make a post because I’m gonna be sitting in the median letting my Jeep cool down for the next 30 minutes.
Anyway, I went off-roading, lots of cool stuff lots of mud. My Jeep started overheating on the way home so I had it towed and then changed out the thermostat because I figured that’s what it was. Still overheated so today I drained the coolant and refilled it making sure there are no air bubbles in the system. Clearly that didn’t solve my issue either. The gauge just steadily climbs to the red in about 10 minutes. It’s got the stock cooling system still but it’s never had overheating problems and there are no leaks. Im gonna try and do possibly a new radiator tomorrow but I’m open for ideas.
1998 4.0 Sahara.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Disconnect a heater hose and see if it pumps out coolant
Some say you can just squeeze a hose but even without good circulation the heat builds some pressure as coolant expands

Ok I’ll try this tomorrow but an FYI the heat does work as I was using it to frantically cool my engine so I feel like that means there’s flow but not sure.

·
Registered
532 Posts
As Jerry indicated get in front of the fan in the shroud and hose the crud out forward. I will ad at 20+ years old Im kinda surprised its lasted as long as it has. My 98's went at 65K miles and 7 years old. At some point the fan does little as the air from the speed of driving is greater which does the cooling. You've done the thermo, If its getting hot at speeds likely the radiator is seen better days. I have seen pump blades corrode away but thats typically a slow and progressively problem. Do make sure its burped 100% and that you haven't created some kind of coolant sludge mixing oddball types.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
If you keep your jeep out of deep mud, it will last longer....
If someone drove one of my jeeps into that shithole in ur avatar pic I would likely get violent....

X 10 radiator clogged w mud....

·
Super Moderator
7,747 Posts
Good info here. First things I'd check and clean is the radiator and AC condenser if equipped. Then fan operation. Next would be if the cooling system was properly bled. Then I'd remove the thermostat and be sure it opens at the right temperature. Finally the water pump as already mentioned. The radiator could be plugged up and require replacement, the vehicle is at that age where a cooling system overhaul might be in order.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Flush rad with water from the inside out to remove dirt/mud. If it's not a clogged rad then replace the water pump and thermostat.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Before I learned about mud, I had one instance where my radiator was so clogged that I had to remove it to effectively clean it's fins and the condenser fins in the AC. Without removal, it would have never come clean. It took about an hour with a garden hose to finish the job.

Good luck.

·
Registered
148 Posts
LOL, we're in the middle of a late-fall mud season here in SW Colorado.

I avoid contact with it as much as I can, not easy out here on our gravel roads.

But then again, once in a while it warms up enough and dries out so I can do a nice hot water pressure wash on my concrete pad...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts