Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening Jeep Family. So just as the title says: First off is the over heating. I replaced the fan clutch because that's what I've gotten off of this forum but its still overheating at idle. I purchased a new thermostat and sensor so hopefully when I install that it will cure the issue. Does anyone else know what it could be? Also the water circulates like its suppose to. Second is this bogging issue. Ive changed the fuel pump because it was sputtering then it would catch and "take off" but still bog. I changed the upstream O2 and took it for a test run about 2 miles round trip..it ran like a champ. Then this morning it started bogging again. What could it be?! Could it be the camshaft position sensor?

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Your thermostat is likely stuck in the closed position. Replace it, flush your cooling system, and use Zerex G05 coolant and distilled water (50/50 mix).

Regarding your bogging, check for any check engine light (CEL) codes to see if they can offer a clue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your thermostat is likely stuck in the closed position. Replace it, flush your cooling system, and use Zerex G05 coolant and distilled water (50/50 mix).

Regarding your bogging, check for any check engine light (CEL) codes to see if they can offer a clue.
I had already checked the code and it said my O2 upstream is bad. Like I said I changed it and it ran great then the next day it started bogging again and the light turned off. What could cause it to bog and not throw a code?

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Hopefully, you didn't get an Autozone O2 sensor as they often don't work (or are short lived).

·
Registered
179 Posts
Dorsk 84 is correct in what he says, but I'm not sure how likely it is for a a cat to fall apart. I've heard of it happening, but in 15 years of wrenching, I have never actually seen a cat physically fail if it wasn't helped in some way.

So, a couple of things to think of...

First, you may have better luck getting good answers by posting a different thread for each problem and just mentioning issues you think may be connected.

That being said, overheat at idle is typically pretty easy to fix, as there are only so many things that can cause it.

Low coolant, followed by a fan failure are the easiest to figure out. You can see these just by looking in the radiator or at the fan while the engine runs.

You already mentioned you have a new thermostat, so replacing that properly will rule out your old thermostat being stuck closed, so we'll have to wait to see on that. While you do that, you should try to flush your cooling system a time or two. My Chrysler manuals suggest sodium carbonate be added for the flush. It turns out that that happens to be a cheap pool chemical that you can buy and will last for more flushes than you'll probably ever do. There are also a ton of chemicals you can buy from an auto parts store that will help.

Those three issues aside, the rest of what would cause an overheat at only idle could be a bit more dire; a massive blockage in your cooling passages, a very lean running engine or the already mentioned exhaust blockage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dorsk 84 is correct in what he says, but I'm not sure how likely it is for a a cat to fall apart. I've heard of it happening, but in 15 years of wrenching, I have never actually seen a cat physically fail if it wasn't helped in some way.

So, a couple of things to think of...

First, you may have better luck getting good answers by posting a different thread for each problem and just mentioning issues you think may be connected.

That being said, overheat at idle is typically pretty easy to fix, as there are only so many things that can cause it.

Low coolant, followed by a fan failure are the easiest to figure out. You can see these just by looking in the radiator or at the fan while the engine runs.

You already mentioned you have a new thermostat, so replacing that properly will rule out your old thermostat being stuck closed, so we'll have to wait to see on that. While you do that, you should try to flush your cooling system a time or two. My Chrysler manuals suggest sodium carbonate be added for the flush. It turns out that that happens to be a cheap pool chemical that you can buy and will last for more flushes than you'll probably ever do. There are also a ton of chemicals you can buy from an auto parts store that will help.

Those three issues aside, the rest of what would cause an overheat at only idle could be a bit more dire; a massive blockage in your cooling passages, a very lean running engine or the already mentioned exhaust blockage.
I was taking to a buddy and he mentioned the cat is probably clogged and to unplug the upstream O2 and remove it to relieve pressure before the cat and see if it tides better. I didn't pay attention when putting the o2 in and now I realize the PO got rid of the cat and welded a pipe there. Could the forward cat be the issue?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Missing cats are absolutely a problem; one that would cause overheating and bogging, I'm not sure of. Without proper feedback from your O2 sensors (which you will not get with missing cats) I would expect bogging from a probable rich fueling situation...but overheating wouldnt be caused by that.

It looks like you have more than one problem to deal with.

Personally, I would put all the cats back into the system with a Y pipe from someplace like RockAuto or maybe Amazon, as a first step.

Surely you must have a bunch of codes and a CEL if there are no cats??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Missing cats are absolutely a problem; one that would cause overheating and bogging, I'm not sure of. Without proper feedback from your O2 sensors (which you will not get with missing cats) I would expect bogging from a probable rich fueling situation...but overheating wouldnt be caused by that.

It looks like you have more than one problem to deal with.

Personally, I would put all the cats back into the system with a Y pipe from someplace like RockAuto or maybe Amazon, as a first step.

Surely you must have a bunch of codes and a CEL if there are no cats??
I had a code until I changed the upstream O2 then it went away. I just changed the thermo changed the thermo sensor and flushed the system 3 times. About to take a spin and let it sit. I'll be back with details.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So the over heating issue is resolved I do believe. It will come to the test tomorrow in this S GA heat. Now time to track down the bogging issue...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I retract my previous post. Overheating us not resolved. This is just getting annoying at this point. What else could be the issue?

·
Registered
179 Posts
You mentioned that you had a new thermostat...Did you install that yet?
You also said that you have a new sensor to install...which sensor is that and did you install it? Why did you get your new sensor?

Can you list the codes you're getting?

When you overheat, what are you using to find this out?
Is your radiator cap venting when you overheat?
Do you have some decent mechanical gauges installed? I don't think that the stock gauges are really known for being accurate and it's possible that you're chasing a problem that isn't there. You don't NEED aftermarket gauges (Got a laser thermometer??), but they are a good way to double check and troubleshoot things.

You also said that "The cat," had been removed...I'm pretty sure that you should have had 3 from the factory. Which one(s) was removed? Not having those will cause all kinds of codes in an otherwise stock vehicle.

Do you think any of the oxygen sensors may have been removed or just left hanging?

Once you get into a vehicle that is altered by a previous owner, there are a TON of things to check.

If you have all of the O2 sensors, are they the proper part numbers? Was any of the wiring altered or routed improperly? Which, if any, of the cats are still there? If one or more is missing, what other stuff (smog?) is missing? Which other stock parts have been swapped out for whatever reason?

A dirty idle control valve could cause a problem at idle and not produce a code...there are tons of threads and YouTube vidjas to help you clean yours out and see if it helps things move along.

It doesn't take long and is simple enough that even the shadiest of shade tree mechanics can deal with it.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You mentioned that you had a new thermostat...Did you install that yet?
You also said that you have a new sensor to install...which sensor is that and did you install it? Why did you get your new sensor?

Can you list the codes you're getting?

When you overheat, what are you using to find this out?
Is your radiator cap venting when you overheat?
Do you have some decent mechanical gauges installed? I don't think that the stock gauges are really known for being accurate and it's possible that you're chasing a problem that isn't there. You don't NEED aftermarket gauges (Got a laser thermometer??), but they are a good way to double check and troubleshoot things.

You also said that "The cat," had been removed...I'm pretty sure that you should have had 3 from the factory. Which one(s) was removed? Not having those will cause all kinds of codes in an otherwise stock vehicle.

Do you think any of the oxygen sensors may have been removed or just left hanging?

Once you get into a vehicle that is altered by a previous owner, there are a TON of things to check.

If you have all of the O2 sensors, are they the proper part numbers? Was any of the wiring altered or routed improperly? Which, if any, of the cats are still there? If one or more is missing, what other stuff (smog?) is missing? Which other stock parts have been swapped out for whatever reason?

A dirty idle control valve could cause a problem at idle and not produce a code...there are tons of threads and YouTube vidjas to help you clean yours out and see if it helps things move along.

It doesn't take long and is simple enough that even the shadiest of shade tree mechanics can deal with it.

Good luck!!
So...... I noticed there was a slight sheen in my coolant. Which tells me that there is a head issue. Cracked bent warped or gasket. I removed my head to check the gasket and head for any issues. The gasket appeared to be fine but inspecting the head I noticed it was slightly warped. I took it to get milled and restored then installed it with all new gaskets and water pump (just to make sure)

This cured all of the issues I've stated so far and runs better than ever. At least better since I've had it.

As for the cats. All of them have been removed from the PO and I don't have any codes. I did have one when I first purchased it and it was the upstream o2. After changing it my light turned off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts