Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My stock (not lifted) YJ has suffered repeated dragging front brakes - primarily the front passenger side. The first time this happened I replaced the fluid and bled the system. This solved the problem for about a week. Last weekend it happened again. I just replaced the front disks, pads and calipers (I was worried about overall heat damage) and have again bled the system. It is now back together but the right front brake still drags. Short of starting to replace the booster, master cylinder and brake lines is there anything else I should be considering? Thanks!

·
Registered
419 Posts
You said you replaced that caliber correct? The seal inside the caliber is also the "return spring" for the piston.

If it was a master cylinder issue don't you think it would cause all brakes to drag?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes - calipers have been replaced. The knuckle does not look to have grooves - my Jeep is lightly used and only has 55k original miles. I have inspected the hard lines - they look ok. Sounds like the flex lines should be the next point of attack. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Defenatly brake hoses. More often than not the hose causes the caliper to go bad ,whenever I replace calipers I ALWAYS replace the brake hoses. They have a tendency to collapse internally allowing fluid to go out but not return when the brakes are released.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Defenatly brake hoses. More often than not the hose causes the caliper to go bad ,whenever I replace calipers I ALWAYS replace the brake hoses. They have a tendency to collapse internally allowing fluid to go out but not return when the brakes are released.
Correct. It is almost impossible to see if your hose is collapsed in the inside.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Been there!!! collapsed hoses brakes drag and rotors glow!!!!change BOTH brake lines! Ones bad the others not far behind!!!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got the new flex hoses today - will replace both tomorrow. Have been soaking the rigid - flex line connectors in penetrating oil for a few days. I do not want to replace the hard lines if I can get away with it. This should fix the issue.

Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Forget the vice grips, and keep a utility knife handy. Carfeully cut the hose lengthwise to split it and it will come right of the hard line without issue. Vice Grips could damage the hard lines if used carelessly.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Forget the vice grips, and keep a utility knife handy. Carfeully cut the hose lengthwise to split it and it will come right of the hard line without issue. Vice Grips could damage the hard lines if used carelessly.
The brake hoses screw onto the hard lines . How would a utility knife help?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Also double check the slides on the caliper and knuckle. Make sure it's rust free and clean. Lube it with plenty of silicon brake grease.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Latest Update: I could not get the flex line connection disconnected from the hard line and ended up destroying the connection. Decided to replace the front brake lines (both sides) and spent most of Saturday with the tube bender and flaring tool. All went well and came up with tight brake lines that retained all the factory retaining clips on the frame and chassis. Perfect until - I managed to cross thread one of the connections into the proportioning valve. It was one of the underside ones and I was working by feel. Rookie mistake. I am trying to re-cut the threads but I ordered a new P-valve as a backup. This project went from interesting to challenging to DAMN.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts