Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Wrangler Rubicon. I bought it brand new. About a year ago I went offroading and went through a big mud hole in the middle of a river with sand so the mud/sand mix got all up in my engine bay. It fried the alternator, got all the sand in the radiator. I had to get a tow home. I replaced the alternator and radiator. I had to clean the fan out. The fan works 100% perfect. So now every once and a while the fan will not kick on when it needs to or it will kick on and turn right back off. The dealer has no clue and blamed it on my few offroad lights are pulling too much power. Please help! Is it possible that the computer isn't telling the fan to stay on sometimes? It's a very inconsistent thing! Thank you so much! The attached image is the day last year when I messed it up bad.

Attachments

·
Registered
844 Posts
I would first make sure your coolant is full and there is no air in the system.

If that is good there will be a coolant sensor and an electric fan relay that both should be checked to make sure they are working correctly.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
You need to be able to tell at what engine coolant temp (ECT) your fan is coming on, and when in that temp is turning off. I don't know if it's an emission thing or not, but Jeep doesnt turn on the fan until ECT is well in the 220's F, 225F to be exact, and when they're on, they will turn off at 210F.

Now, if you're sitting in traffic, this is a cycle that will be repeating itself very quickly, once moving, the thermostat does the job keeping the temps between 199-203F more or less, so i'll figure the factory T is about 192-195F. if you're going up a long hill, its not difficult for the engine to reach 230-240F ECT with the factory calibration, first thing i got rid of in my tune, but you can also fix this stupid behavior with a manual switch that will allow you to turn the fan manually, or i think the handheld devices that can load a canned tune can also change the fan settings.

You can measure ECT with a Dashhawk or similar device, perhaps one of those amazon odbii scanners (ELM327 or similar) and iphone/android, but check what the fan is doing first before coming to conclusions and possible fixes.

Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts